Idle workers.

Genv [FP]

Website Moron
Does any former Warcraft 3 player wish there was a button that showed all the idle workers that you have? It gets to be a pain in the arse when you forgot about that worker 2 turns ago.

Or does anybody know of something similar that helps you remember when workers have finished?

Unless you have them automated, they should automatically be selected during your turn after military units.

I have cycle through units unchecked. I can't play when my screen is moving on it's own.

One of the f# screens also shows all units, and you can click on worker to see where they are.

I often automate and forget about them after a certain point in the game (usually after fully developing the cities I've built myself or captured very early), and allow city governor selections (hammers, commerce, food) to dictate their actions from there.

However, if you don't do that you can always just store them all in one (safe) place so that you know where to find them when they get something to do again!

One of the f# screens also shows all units, and you can click on worker to see where they are.
It's the Military Adviser. Check the "show all units" box. I believe idle or fortified units are marked with an asterisk: click on a unit and its position shows as a lit dot on the map, click on that dot to go to the unit. But - and it's a big but - that exits the adviser, so to go to the next unit you have to open the adviser again ("all units" should still be checked) and go down the list, hoping you can remember which unit you clicked previously, until you get to the one you want to look at.

store them all in one (safe) place so that you know where to find them when they get something to do again!

That's what I do, either in a city or on desert tiles [where they're easy to see].
I have cycle through units unchecked.
That must be challenging! I can't imagine playing without it, one of the most useful UI features for me.

It's annoying when you're fighting a big war. That's why I have it disabled

Automation is a PITA at any given time, they completely waste the landscape.

Find a patch of desert, build a fort, and keep all your idle workers there. It's kind of nice to have a volcanic eruption and see 10 workers spring into action to patch things up.

Automated workers are brain dead. You should never automate them.

Genv [FP];7299251 said:
Automated workers are brain dead. You should never automate them.

Combined with the city governor dictating their actions and "leave old improvements", they don't do so bad, they just waste a lot of turns. I automate them quite often after the early game.

Top Bottom