1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If a new patch/dlc/expansion came out tomorrow what would you like to see added?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by ezbutton, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ezbutton

ezbutton Warlord

After playing civ on the latest fall patch, I've been pretty satisfied from the changes made especially the increased yields from trade routes and changes to Germany UU in favor of a UB.

However, I feel as though 2K missed out on alot of opportunities to expand or improve certain elements of the game such as spies or diplomats and world congress. Some of the things I would of like to see added are air bases, free trade agreements and expanding diplomat options (instead of using them exclusively to swing world congress votes in your favor).

To further expand on the notion of air/military/naval bases, late game warfare is often a drag but runaway civs need to be deterred or reeled in. However if proximity is an issue, which is often the case in continents maps or when pursuing victory conditions other than domination, then these bases would be able to exert military pressure and help ally civs or city-states who are at war. I feel as though this option would make late-game warfare far more interesting as you can influence the war from afar and even reduce warmonger penalties since you wouldn't have to send troops to take cities and set up satellite colonies solely for the sake of weakening runaway civs.

The pretense to establish a base should require a diplomat to first negotiate the right to set up a base and again if you'd like to move the base. By requiring the diplomat, it creates incentive to keep the diplomat in the capital as oppose to moving it out after 6 turns (5 turns to schmooze and 1 turn to 'trade' for world congress votes). Diplomats should be as restricted as spies, so if it takes 20 or more turns (standard) for a spy to steal tech then diplomats should be constrained to do the same for an equal reward. Such rewards could be a military base or free trade agreement to improve trade route yields. This would allow greater flexibility for spies and reward those who use spies but also create a greater incentive to build National Spy Agency (or whatever the national wonder for police stations is called) and make civs like England more viable (although England is already a strong civ given enough water but if landlocked certainly gives it more viability). It particularly bothers me that diplomats only need to stay for 5 turns to perform its diplomatic mission and move shortly thereafter when it takes spies significantly longer to gather intel and steal tech.

To summarize, Brand New World had alot of great ideas and strategies with the addition of diplomats, congress and trade routes and brought balance to aggressive warmongers and city spamming. The expansion feels lacking for all the new content it added.

P.S. My views maybe a bit skewed since I only play emperor and occasionally immortal but I was an avid civ 4 player and would like to see civ 5 hit the same lofty heights. Also, if there are mods that already incorporate such ideas I would love to know the name of them.

2. That Other Guy

That Other Guy Chieftain

I'd like to see aircraft with a dedicated recon role that could grant visibility farther away than the range provided by fighters.

3. Beaver79

Beaver79 Warlord

More shady stuff.

Civ Call to Power was a ripoff of Civ. It sucked except for one unit, the slaver. He could be built, was invisible to other civs, and could enslave workers or settlers. It was loads of fun.

I would like to have the option to gas my own people. Like the % of my people that wanted to follow a different ideology than what I picked. It would eliminate the unhappiness from that but it would cause other civs to intervene. Think weapons of mass destruction.

When other civs want me to declare war on someone else I would like it to be more personal than just this guy is a threat to the stability of the world. It could be he gassed his own people, he is building too many cities, or he is a dirty rotten Zoroaster. Idk, maybe I'm too morbid.

4. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

I always wanted 2 things in my Civ games:

1) Border tensions
    If you have a common border with other civilization, their culture is pressuring your cities and tiles directly. If their social policies and ideologies don't match, nasty events happen on borders and efficiency of plots is reduced. People in cities suffer from unrest, tend to be unhappy and militaristic against hostile and not "matching" neighbor. Religion has a huge influence on that, though it diminishes with time.

2) Different types of attack
    There are many ways to attack in real life. Armies do not just "clash". I'd love to see an ability just to harass enemy units with skirmish attacks (50%dmg to enemy, 33% dmg to yourself, increased flanking bonus for further attacks on this unit from other units), frontal attacks with bonus dmg to both sides, attacks with artillery or air support etc etc. In other words, just more interesting combat.

Previous iterations of Civ were sometimes introducing mechanism to some degree similar to what I'd love to see, but it was never really there. I'd love to have real border tensions, I'd love to have international relations based on what is actually happening on map and not on theoretical strategic goals and so on.

There are ofc many more thing but it would take forever to list them all here ;)

5. ezbutton

ezbutton Warlord

Spoken like a true communist... this made me laugh even though it sounds so wrong. I do hate how they aren't happy with my selection of ideology... so maybe I should just give them sweet dreams with a lil gas.

6. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I would love to see an expansion of the Espionage Mechanics, & changes to Denmark.

Aussie.

7. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

Colonialism-probably requiring a bunch of happiness tweaks
    Isolationism social policy branch
    Third Unique unit for each civ
    New Civs: Khmer, Vietnam, Kongo, Ashanti, Hungary, Argentina, Cherokee or Haida, Timurids, Israel
    Balancing out other policy branches
    Casus Belli situations
    GoT scenario
    Deluxe scenarios for current ones
    Silk road scenario
    A few more espionage options.
    Few more trade routes for wider empires.

8. arand86

arand86 Warlord

The one biggest thing I'd love to see is playing wide becoming a viable option again. It was without a doubt an option in G&K, but now camping tall on 4 cities is by far the best idea. In certain scenarios with certain civs, I want to be able to sprawl out an AI-Hiawatha like empire (or at least half its size :p) It would add another style of play to the game once more.

9. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

While the fall patch was a welcomed addition there's still stuff that I dont think a mere patch will fix, so Im hoping for a last expansion with:

-9 New Civs: Some people want it to be 7 to round it to 50, but the devs have mentioned their rationale for 9 before, their production time only allows for 9, and delivering any less would seem cheap to them, so, yeah, Im hoping for 52, take your pick for your favorite 9.

-Enlightment Era and colonization: There's quite a gap between renaissance and industrial, and its not a small one. I'd love to see the tree expanded to allow for colonization. The game right now punishes you for going wide, colonization could help in this regard allowing you to expand through colonies (overseas) and outposts (same continent). It would make wide gameplay much more fun.

-A simple casus belli system: It would end the excesive warmongerer penalties, you would need to have an objective to each war, if you go over and still take stuff you didnt go to war over, then yes, you'll rightfully get warmongerer and everybody will hate you, you could have any extra stuff you take cost happiness as well. You can get crusades, trade wars, colonial wars, you could even ravamp honor with a unique casus belli for that tree. So in the end if you decide to go on a rampage to conquer everything you could still do it, but it will require planning for it not to backfire. It would also make spies, diplomats and even missionaries much more useful in getting diferent casus belli.

-Battle balance and siege ravamp: Right now CiV is a ranged unit fest, its very unbalanced, hopefuly a last expansion would finally ravamp units and balance them for good. I'd like to see sieges playing diferent than battles, being able to starve a city, use melee units to siege it not just assault it. And for the defenders, military buildings to actually have a counter effect on sieges besides just more HP.

Forts that can be upgraded to a bunch of diferent things, like forts that can be upgraded to castles to actually function as chokepoints that have to be sieged (but require high maintenece), Citadels reworked to be part of a city's inner defense. Once the modern era arrives, forts could also be upgraded to military bases to allow for aircraft bases.

-Ideology unrest expanded to revolutions:
    They touched it a bit with the inclusion of ideology and the unrest it can create, but if they implemented colonies it could be interesting to see them turn into new nations through revolution, of course only under specific circumstances. Like say, a civ with massive colonies gets its capital taken and its under heavy ideological and religous pressure, then you would surelly see a revolution spark, however we should have options to deal with this, like liberating colonies under a common wealth, shielding them from international trade, or kicking them into submission again for good.

-Ethnic graphics: This one is purelly cosmetical, however its very nice for inmmersion. Its no big deal if you are playing an European civ, but if you arent, well you are stuck with your european Mayan knight. As for city graphics, we could use a lot of variety, many sets missing, like Indian, Sub Saharan, Nomad, etc. And while we are at it, having a conquered city not switch graphical style instantly.

And of course, more wonders, great works, units and buildings.

10. Heinage

Heinage Khan

All of this ^ and you'd have the best civ game ever!!!

11. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

There`s a mod that already does this. I used it all the time. I like the way even modern Roman tanks have the right kind of colours and look.

12. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

thanks for the heads up, I'll go look it up.

Still, its something the game should have already, and as far as I know city graphics cant be modded, we could use a few more.

13. Vidszhite

Vidszhite Prince

It's called R.E.D. Modpack. It also scales down the units so they're not quite as large (unless they need to be, which gives those units a sense of hugeness). There's also a version that includes only the reskins, and another that decreases the size of units even more (but that one glitches unit animations and makes them all run like Speedy Gonzales as a side effect).

14. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Hahaha

Washington: Our spies report that Harun Al Rashid is buying uranium from Cathrine, has nuclear weapons and is plotting to attack Jerusalem with them. We need to attack this evil man now!

Me: Hmm... Well, Arabia hasn't completed the Manhattan project yet, but those spies sound trustworthy enough.

15. JimBobV

JimBobV Warlord

In some more DLC I would like to see a new scenario. I can't get enough of them. Maybe something involving florida, and the earlier conquest of it. You could have spain and england fighting over it(The original map of florida was bigger then the state). Or maybe something involving the Seven Years war. You already have the French, English, and Iroquois as default civs, and it would make a very interesting scenario.

16. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I would like official TSL world type maps without having to use MODS.
    I would like Casus Belli
    I would like forts or citadels to be able to be act as canals
    I would like to see volcanos and more natural wonders
    I would like to see more unique units for each civ
    I would like to see an expanded tech tree across the board. Longer periods between upgrades.
    I would like to see a Great Admiral be able to claim sea and ocean hexes and create a flagship.
    I want the Inuit to settle the great expanse of snow/tundra and ice.
    More luxuries more improvements
    I would like to see a return of quests and mini-tasks

17. Mudrac

Mudrac Orc Warchief

You mean spoken like soviet communist and not like true communist, there is a big difference. Just like there are a lot of people who say they are Christians, but very few are true Christians. Just had mention that. I don't like seeing the communism ideal getting blacken. But of course, I got the joke. ;)

18. Ninakoru

Ninakoru A deity on Emperor

I like many of the ideas, I would prefer another decent patch before thinking of new Expansions. Some ideas to improve:

- Improve more AI at war Specially Air and Water, they suck too much.
    - Social policy balance. Specially ancient policies.
    - War vs Peace balance. I would rework warmongering calculations.
    - Pledge to protect rework: add a bit more depth.
    - Option to make fast aircraft animations, removing travel to target and bombard time.
    - Battle mechanic changes:
    · Sigue units with Cover I promotion always.
    · Cities -33% strength, +50% HP.
    · Ranged non-sigue units suffer from less damage having less HP (just like now with every unit), and less damage to target also having less HP (supposedly units represent a unit type division, less HP mean less troops, so it makes sense).
    · Garrison boosts city attack power only if unit has movement points. On city attack, garrison lose movement points. Defense always boosted.

19. njmfff

njmfff Prince

This would be useful. That system works so well in EU. Yeah, you still got diplo hits by being warmonger, but they weren't that big of a deal if you had casus belli.

and they should fix AI diplomacy a bit in other regards, not just warmongering. I'm often annoyed when AI drops his 2-5 cities right next to my boarders then start complaining that I should not settle my cities near his empire anymore? :eek: Huh, seriously? :eek:

but noooo, if you tell him not to settle near you, he'll get cranky, start denouncing, chat like crazy every turn and eventually declare war on you. :mad::rolleyes:

and of course, if you declare war on him and raze his cities to free territory that was yours in the first place, the world will hate you.

I have no problem if AI settles somewhere around me, like 6-7 tiles away, but when he drops city at minimum from your capital\city and starts taking your land, now that's just makes me want to go and eliminate him completely from the game. :mad:

20. Brichals

Brichals King

Cool city screens and palace view like in the older civs. Can't believe they left these out.