If any of you want to work in Antarctica they are currently hiring dishwashers

Drewcifer

Agent of Karma
Just ran across this posting on craigslist. If I were younger I would do this in a heartbeat just to live there for a while:

Wash Dishes at the Bottom of the World (Antarctica)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: Anne.Wasilik@usap.gov [?]
Date: 2009-01-04, 6:17PM CST

Wash Dishes at the Bottom of the World during the 2009-2010 Season at McMurdo or South Pole Station in Antarctica

How would you like to be one of the few people on the planet to have the opportunity to live and work at or near the geographic South Pole? We are looking for candidates who are ready to work extremely hard in a challenging environment.

We are looking for candidates to work summer contracts at McMurdo and South Pole station. Deployment normally begins in August or October and runs through February.

Requirements:

In addition to your skills and experience, you must meet several other requirements that have been established under the guidance of the National Science Foundation. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of an employment offer.
• You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
• You must have a valid passport or the ability to obtain one.
• After receiving an offer of employment, you must pass:
o A pre-employment background check.
o A pre-employment drug screen.
o Stringent physical and dental examinations.

As a Dining Attendant in Antarctica you can expect to:

• Work on your feet for a minimum of 10 hours a day

• Scrub pots and pans and wash dishes

• Make coffee, tea and other beverages for a community of up to 1000

• Provide excellent customer services to all community members

• Stock all food and non-food items

• Work with an extremely diverse team and population

Send your email and resume for this position to anne.wasilik@usap.gov if you are interested in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

NANA Services is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.

Requirements:
Education: A minimum of a High school education or equivalent.
Experience: A minimum of six months food service wait staff and/or bussing.
Security Clearance Requirement: None
Field of Interest: Facilities
Job Type: Temporary
Work Location: Antarctica

NOTE: Only authorized personnel are allowed on all U.S. stations and vessels. Your spouse, children, pets, etc. are not allowed to travel to Antarctica at any point during your contract.

Compensation: $377 per week
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 980290395

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/fbh/980290395.html

According to Something Awful its a horrible job, and you won't be allowed to go outside and it has the higest rate of injury. There was an ask/tell thread with some guy who worked in Antarctica. I'll see if I can find it.

$377 dollars a week, for 10 hours of standing work per day, requiring a drug test and background check. Not to mention, you're in freaking ANTARCTICA.

Sounds like a Crappy job. Note the capital "C".

It would be fun to go sometime, but not for that long, and not as a dishwater, lol.

Assuming 40 hour work week thats like 9.40 or 9.50 an hour.

I work in a dead end job with lousy everything and I still get paid more then that after taxes.

If I was just out of high school i would take that job in a minute. I would think they would have some good parties, what with not being able to leave or do much of anything else entertaining.

Assuming 40 hour work week thats like 9.40 or 9.50 an hour.

I work in a dead end job with lousy everything and I still get paid more then that after taxes.

At 10 hours per day I doubt that it works out to a 40 hour work week.

I don't think you actually stand for 10 hours/day. I think it is a medical designation thingy to say you can if you must.

There's no amount of money that could compensate for actually doing dishes for 10 hours/day. That would suck - alot.

You'd want to be rather knowledgable, because there's going to be a LOT of chatting.

Hm, seems plausible.

I wonder when will they finally hand out some funds for a good sociological study of these Antarctic stations. I want to get there, too! Just not as a dishwasher :(.
Why don´t they do such a thing? Should be quite interesting, especially the group dynamics in a relatively closed system.

I was fairly close to Antarctica just a month ago (well, as close as you can get without getting on a boat), and we were seriously considering jumping on a ship to go there.

(Look for Ushuaia, Argentina, on the map)

The problem was that it was VERY expensive, even though we were sooo close.. The "best" deals we saw were around $2,900 per person for a week - usually you'd have to pay around $5,000, though.

And what does that 5 grand get you? Well, we met a guy who was doing that very trip, for that very amount. You get a bunk bed in a tiny cabin, and get to set foot on Antarctica - on a couple hikes. That's pretty much it.

There was HUGE demand for this stuff down there at the bottom of the world. Ushuaia attracts tourists, mainly, even though not a huge amount of them, cause it's so far south. Most people who go there, go there so they can say they visited the southernmost city in the world (and yeah, that's why we went there for a couple days - we were 12 hours away by bus in Chile anyway!)

This job will be filled quickly. Even though you're not allowed to leave the building and walk around (right?), a buncha people are going to jump at the chance of going.. just so they can say they set foot on the southernmost continent.

If people are willing to spend thousands of dollars to go down there, to get PAID to go there is even more appealing - even if you have to do dishes for 10 hours a day. Somebody's going to make that sacrifice just so they can say they went there.

I'd take the job.
Would you also like to be "dominated" by girls wearing latex and high heels? :rolleyes:

Spending five months washing dishes 10 hours a day for a pay that is next to nonexistent - in coldest and most godforsaken place on this Earth - well, that does certainly NOT qualify as my dream job.
:nope:

In terms of compensation 377/week isn't terrible. The reason is is that the money is all profit. Food, shelter, toilet paper, and the like are all provided, so that doesn't eat away at your paycheck (and I should note that it eats at your paycheck after tax increasing its effect on pretax income).

Top Bottom