If Canada became a Civ, what traits and UU would it have?

@ Underseer, yes, stylish Blue helmets are definitely worth it.

Some people apparently like Celine Dion's "Music"

@ RedAlert Sure, socks are always good, as for money, i assume u mean that funny paper-like burnable stuff . . . ?

I suggest Industrious and Commercial.

This is my justification:

Throughout Canada's history, we have overcome various difficulties with our terrain by altering the terrain in various ways. We built railways through previously impassible mountain ranges, which were at one point the world's longest at near 8000 kilometers, we drained land, and we built cities wherever the need suited us. Now, the Canadian manufacturing industry based in Ontario is very strong. As well, in the West, British Columbia had a powerful fishery -- so powerful that they almost ran out of fish -- a massive logging industry, and many other things. Alberta has tremendous amounts of natural resources, especially oil and natural gas. Saskatchewan produces tremendous amounts of food. Agricultural isn't available to vanilla-civ.

Commerical: We, unlike the US, run a massive import/export profit. We manage to export our goods that we make for a tremendous amount of money.

As to those who say "tolerant/multicultural" is a good idea, it really isn't. Multiculturalism is an idea barely thirty years old. Throughout the VAST majority of Canada's history, we had two civilizations: The English, and the French. The natives were downtrodden by both. As well, there was even a head tax on Chinese immigrants. Natives didn't get the vote until the sixties. Give me a break. This doesn't reek of massive "tolerance."

I'd have to recommend our infantry as well. Brilliant street fighters, and excellent accuracy.

I completely agree to the justification to Industrious, but I have issues when it comes to the justification for the Commercial Trait. The USA Civ is Expansionist, and the US in real life gas a LOT more money floating around then Canada does. IIRC, Canada has an economy the size of Texas, I think. I mean, we have an economy the size of one friggen US State. No, Canada is not Commercial, but should be Agricultural, or at least Expansionist. I am feeling too darn lazy to give justifications for both, but they should be posted somewhere on the previous 12 pages.

I don't know... in comparison to the population of Texas, I'd have to say that we're doing pretty darn good. I'd honestly recommend Commercial above expansionist in comparison to the States. Looking at some of the other expansionist civs, the US should own most of Mexico and at least 2/3 of Alberta.

What? Hey, we have a MUCH larger land mass then the States. We are SECOND in Land Mass in the world. But I still prefer Agricultural-Industrious because I think that better defines Canada (and I like the trait combo better)

Just some thoughts
I think Canada has defenitly the right to be in Civ3.
I think the Leader has to be Trudeau (although we could argue on Laurier and MacDolnald)
Traits : mmmh.. that's a tough one. Agricultural would give a big population, so it's false. Canada never had the boob the US had. So I'd say industrious and commercial. scientific is to be considered. As Canada is a very composite nation. What about 3 to 4 traits with less effects...

ps. Just to correct something. England didn't create Canada. It created a unified Canada. But French were using this name (a native word meaning "little village" or so) for there colony, which was stretching from East coast to midwest, and form far north to Louisiana...
Would be cool to have french and english citizens in the coutry so that we could see what happens... culture flip ?

Top Bottom