If Canada became a Civ, what traits and UU would it have?

But the Vikings (no offense to them at all) are a little more obscure, in that not everything was known about them. We still to this day do not know all their history. I am not sure that the Vikings were that similar then you think. I am receptive to the idea of the USA and Canada being together as a Civ, so long as each nation is equally represented. The Mexicans are too different to really be counted as one Civ along with Canada and the USA. Just curious, what would the traits/UU/leader, etc. be for this Civ. And the cities would have to be an equal mix of Canadian and USA cities (Mexican too if they are included)

North Americans do not live a unique lifestyle. All three differ based upon climate and location. And they have a lifestyle very much like Western Europeans, Japanese, and Australians. And a mere 50 years before the age of the Normans, when the height of their power, Norway was heavily influenced by the Danes. Sweden was just a fraction of the size it is today. They also were much more similar in their lifes than Canadians and Americans are. Canada and America have different currencies, climates, governments types, etc.

another simpson moment..bart"me and millhouse made the canadian national basketball team, they didnt have enough players." god i love that show:goodjob:

Originally posted by SuperBeaverInc.
Canada and America have different currencies, climates, governments types, etc.

I am not so sure about the climate part. There are many places in the States that get much more snow then my part of Canada does. I think we are closer climatically (hmmm...?) then people think we are. Our gov't types oh ya, but they are both democratically elected gov'ts (most of the time *ahem 2000 election ahem*). And our currencies are both called "dollar" after all.

We do have cooler money then they do (no offense)

agree on the currency our money sucks..hey but did u see the new 20's ya they um have peach in them ooooooooo peach what an outlandish bright color way to go american tresury!!...the climate mmmm close in places but pretty different calgary in january and miami in january there is about a 80 degree difference there.(speaking in american degrees of course, which im not quite sure how to spell farenheight, so ill stick with american degrees lol;)

Originally posted by civiscoolya
...the climate mmmm close in places but pretty different calgary in january and miami in january there is about a 80 degree difference there.(speaking in american degrees of course, which im not quite sure how to spell farenheight, so ill stick with american degrees lol;)

That's what I was thinking about the climate. Sure, cities in New England (take Boston for example) are more prone to getting snow in the winter than a place like Victoria, BC (only enough snow to barely warrant an entry in a dictionary -- my hometown, so I would know); however, that is quite quickly reversed when you compare two cities like Edmonton and Dallas (or Calgary and Miami).

Now, the saving grace for us Canadians is the fact that a good majority of our cities are near the border, but that doesn't spare us from the fact that our climates are not the same (I mean, really, we're farther north!).

@civiscoolya: it's spelled Fahrenheit. Just thought you might like to know.

i like vancouver bc as well. i live in Portland oregon Go northwest United States and southwest canada wooooooo

Whoa! Lotta posts here...lots of Canadian civvers, I see.

One caveat to non-Canadians (especially Americans) :

We Canadians tend to be a rather defensive lot when it comes to distinguishing ourselves from our worthy southern neighbours. So tread lightly, please, when discussing the merits of a Canadian civ. I, for one, don't feel its a glaring omission that Canada is NOT represented in civ. OTOH, if we're talking about adding other civs like Scotland, Israel, Korea (already done!), etc then why not Canada? There's lots of civs in the game that were never world or even local powers.

One caveat to Canadians: if we really want to distinguish Canada as a civ in its own right we need to emphasize the combined french-english history of our culture. That's what makes us really distinct from both the US and England as civs in the game. And I feel anti-US sentiments have no place here. Yes, the US co-opted the term "Americans" for themselves, when really its homologous to "Europeans" or "Asians", but get over it and don't substitute with a slur.

On the traits: after making my case for the Agricultural trait, I realized that if implemented the Canadian civ would grow fast in terrrain other than that which we actually got (mostly tundra and wetlands). On reflection, I wonder if Expansionism wouldn't better reflect our historical experience - like I don't think early Canadian explorers/settlers ever popped barbs from a goody hut, for example.

But if we accept industrious as well then we've the same traits as the Americans...:rolleyes: (oh the irony!).

So if the AI could be programmed to divert most food surplus fom Agricultural trait into supporting entertainers....;)

I really like the Cdn. Infantry ideas being tossed around. The roll of Canadian troops in both WW's is a source of national pride (and personal grief) for a good many Canadians. Despite my avatar I prefer this idea to the RCMP (mounties) unit.

Last thought: what abaout a UU based on the Natives (I forget which nation) who fought alongside the English in the War of 1812? They were pretty important, IIRC.

To date in Civ all possible combinations of two traits have been represented. Re-use of the same combination of two traits has been rare (if we accept PTW as a temporary aberation.) So it seems appropriate that when new Civs are introduced there should be new traits to go along with them.

Therefore, as a Canadian, I propose that Canada be given the new traits "Tolerant" and "Apologist".

Whups, wait a second, I'm sorry, I should never have said something negative like "Apologist". It was poorly considered. Perhaps "Diplomatic" would be a better way of expressing the characteristic of Canadians which I was trying to capture.

So what I really meant to say was "Tolerant" and "Diplomatic".

I'd like to emphasize that I fully understand and sympathize with those who feel differently about the traits which best describe Canada. I do wish that you and I could see things the same way, and I totally respect and appreciate your differing opinion.

I suggest that "Tolerant" characteristics could be: Temples and Cathedrals 1/2 price (all faiths are welcome!), and foreign workers are 1.5 times as productive as Canadian workers. (Perhaps they should even be more so. I certainly understand any opinions to that effect, and I do apologize for making these simplistic generalizations about immigrants of all nationalities. Please accept my assurances that they do not apply to your particular nationality!)

"Diplomatic" characteristics could be: Other nations are much less aggressive (after all, who would attack such a nation?), embassies cost less ("we're so sorry to impose on you, we very much appreciate you allowing our people to use this nice building"), and courthouses are cheaper (we have lots of lawyers just like the US but they don't cost us quite as much per unit. At least, not yet.)

Leader? A tough choice, there are so many possibilities! My personal preference is John eh Macdonald. But I completely understand and support the views of those who would suggest Diefenbaker, Laurier, Trudeau (either Pierre or Margaret seems ok to me), Pierre Burton, Wayne Gretzky, Wayne and Shuster, Pamela Anderson, Shania Twain, or Dudley Doright. And I sincerely apologize to anyone whose choice I didn't mention - I did not mean to offend your selection of a great Canadian, the fault was clearly mine for omitting him/her from my list.

Unique Unit: Hooboy, what a difficult choice! The Fur Trader, The Mountie, or the Diplomat? A very tough decision. I'll go for the Mountie, with the usual apologies of course. Stats 4/4/4 because that was my group's consensus after debating the issue for weeks. (Note for historians: the choice should of course have been the Trader, the Diplomat or the Scientist. But debate until boredom resulted was a great Canadian tradition. And that happened to result in anything with "for", "fore", or "four" anywhere near its name as being a winner. How the Mounties survived that test is difficult to explain.)

For the many Americans reading this post: although there are some things I admire in your country, and there are some things I'm embarassed about in mine (an ex Prime Minister who has difficulty with English, our lack of support in recent world altering events, and oops, I'd better not get started here), I do want to emphasize that our money is definitely much cooler than yours. And that it therefore should be worth more.

Finally, I'd like to say that if I had to pick two of the existing CivIII traits for Canada, I'd pick:
Industrious, Scientific, Agricultural, and Religious.
Of course some might find Religious an odd choice here. But the thing is, you can build a temple of any kind in Canada and it is of course allright. So 1/2 price for temples and cathedrals makes sense.

Originally posted by SirPleb
Therefore, as a Canadian, I propose that Canada be given the new traits "Tolerant" and "Apologist".

Whups, wait a second, I'm sorry, I should never have said something negative like "Apologist". It was poorly considered. Perhaps "Diplomatic" would be a better way of expressing the characteristic of Canadians which I was trying to capture.

So what I really meant to say was "Tolerant" and "Diplomatic".

:lol: Priceless! :lol:

wow and i didn't think this thread would get even more then one page. But then again my topic only shows up in some of the posts. Keep those ideas comming. :D

"OTOH, if we're talking about adding other civs like Scotland, Israel, Korea (already done!), etc then why not Canada? There's lots of civs in the game that were never world or even local powers. "

I agree with this statement, and having a lot of specific civs would be a lot of fun. My suggestion for the NA civ was more in reaction to the limited space we have to play with. 31 civilizations just isn't enough. (A civ 4 wish, perhaps? But that's just... REALLY off topic. XD)

Originally posted by CrazyMrLeo
"Canada did not have much of an impact MY ARSE!!! ..."

While it is true that Canada has had a notable impact on History, the point being made was that America's impact was far greater.

Like 'ell the impact may not have been so extravigant but it is much larger the the U.S.ian impact. It also didn't include a nuclear strike in 2 cities in Japan.

Ohh, touche, but Tricoz, let us NOT get this thread going back to USA-Canada comparisons. I think I might report anybody else that does this, it detracts from the whole point of the thread, about a CANADIAN Civ.

ahh i must appoligise to all who have been on this thread for my typing. I sorta didn't realize what it was about till just a second ago. Sorry to all.

anyways my thoughts about a Can. Civ i think that this is a great Great idea. A UU i think would be good would be a BBM (Beaver Balistic Missile) The idea of Agricultural definatly, but another one i cannot think of.

Originally posted by Tricoz
anyways my thoughts about a Can. Civ i think that this is a great Great idea. A UU i think would be good would be a BBM (Beaver Balistic Missile) The idea of Agricultural definatly, but another one i cannot think of.

Too bad there is no such thing as a BBM. However, I liked the idea made before (by SuperBeaverInc.? I'm not sure) about having the Canadian UU be the Canadian Infantry (or some other name).

@Tricoz: You can edit your posts instead of posting new ones right after your other posts. Just click the Edit button at the top right of the post you want to edit.

Originally posted by RealGoober

I am not so sure about the climate part. There are many places in the States that get much more snow then my part of Canada does. I think we are closer climatically (hmmm...?) then people think we are...

Canada and the USA can not be climatically similar. ALL of Canada's metropolitan centres are north of the 49th. parallel, whereas ALL of the USA's major metropolitan centers are south of the 49th. (with the exception of Anchorage and Juneau, but neither are all that major!).

There isn't that much tundra, ice, and permafrost in the USA. I think you might have missed the Territories and the more northern halves of the Provinces.

Top Bottom