1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If Civ IV and Civ V were both released today, which one would you be playing?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by DarkSchneider, Sep 30, 2010.

?

Which Civ would you be playing?

1. Civ IV

199 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Civ V

252 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

Here is a fun thought experiment, if vanilla Civ IV and Civ V were both released today, which one would you be playing? For this experiment also assume they were both released without any major bugs, and released under different, but equally reputable game studios.

2. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

civ 5, definitively !

3. LionBlue

LionBlue Chieftain

I've been playing the series starting with Civ I.
    Civ V is my favorite.

4. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

Well I suppose I did post to the Civ V message board :p

I've been playing since Civ I as well and my favorite is IV followed by II.

5. flyingbunnys

flyingbunnys Warlord

I have played all of them and I would take a patched version on V. Finally no more stacks, that was the worst thing. I remember back in II i would build giant howitzer stacks that ignored the city defence bonuses. They would just steam roll through other civs.

6. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

Civ V definitely. I love the new combat system, city-states and the mechanics on how the borders now expand.

7. Generals3

Generals3 Warlord

Two things: -Obviously Civ V , BUT;

-What if Civ IV BTS was released at the same time? Here i come BTS .
    And i stand by it , Civ V should be compared to Civ IV BTS because after all that is what it is supposed to replace. And on an other side note , every time there is a new release the standards are raised, games are supposed to become better .
    So the standards were lower when Civ IV was released than now Civ V . Back when Civ IV was released, at the standards back than it was better than Civ V now (because again , Civ V is supposed to exceed BTS ) .

8. Path-x

Path-x Chieftain

If we assume that both were released today and then if I assume that I didn't "overplay" civ4, I have to say I would probably play civ4 since I prefer its combat system and complexity.

Also as Generals3 said it should compare to BTS.

9. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

I'd choose Civ4 and BTS.

10. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Warlord

Civ 5 without a doubt for me. Minor reason- Siam is a playable Civ, Awesome. Main reason- No cartoonish graphics! You may think the graphics are better in Civ 4 ...maybe they are. But for me they were too damn cartoony. Ive always disliked that. The continents just looked like Islands because of individual swaying tree. May not seem like a big deal but I really disliked the look when the game came out.

This is of course assuming that I have no real experience at playing either at the time of sale. Though even if I did I think I would take 5 vanilla over 4 vanilla (probably not with all expansions included however.)

11. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

I would be playing Civ5 because it has a 5 at the end of it and the other has a 4.

Basic psychology.

12. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Warlord

Good answer.

13. Scottiths

Scottiths Chieftain

I am going to bump this thread because people seem to be overlooking how awesome this game is compared to its vanilla counterpart. Of course it is not as good as a game that has several expansions worth of work... It is however a heck of a lot better than Civ 4 was originally. I think this game has enormous potential. Only reason I am not playing now is because I am not at home.

14. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Civ 4 'cause I like a more economic game. (As the used to say about EVE online, spreadsheets and spaceships)

15. Alsark

Alsark Noble

Probably Civilization IV. I don't remember if I started playing Civ 4 on release, but I remember once I started playing it I always had a hard time stopping. Civ 5 I'm lucky to not get tired after about 50-100 turns.

16. Palfouri

Palfouri Chieftain

A majority should be answering Civ V considering Civ IV was nearly unplayable at launch.

17. rschissler

rschissler King

This really is a dumb question, so I'm not voting.

Civ V got great reviews and it's a newer version, so you would think it would be better. Based on that, most people would want to play it instead of Civ IV. Now maybe in reality, it isn't better, just prettier.

18. Flavorable

Flavorable Warlord

Civ IV was COMPLETELY BROKEN AT LAUNCH.

I don't understand why anyone would choose that.

19. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Warlord

It had securom problems IIRC, but if you were able to get around that it was not broken...

I would choose Civ4. Civ5 doesn't have the "one more turn" factor at all.

20. dannythefool

dannythefool King

Actually I would be playing Civ V because my Civ IV package would only contain two copies of the same CD and the manual in French...