1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If CivBE is Civ 5+, should a Civ IV fan check it out?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SCBrain, Apr 29, 2014.

1. SCBrain

SCBrain Chieftain

Dear All,

I have an honest question and I am sincerely not trying to instigate trouble.

I enjoyed Civ 2, 3 and 4 perhaps too much and followed each of them closely, but I skipped Civ 5. I was influenced by Sullla's articles about Civ V - especially the problems springing from 1upt, and I thought the idea of global happiness was unappealing. Finally, I didn't want to buy a new computer capable of playing the game! So I never bought it, and I tuned out.

I know there have been 2 expansion packs, plus a number of patches. I don't really know if they've "fixed" the game, although I have seen hints that they have, at least to some degree. So here's my question.

If CivBE turns out to be basically a very developed mod of Civ 5, as Colonization was for Civ IV, should I tune back in? That is to say, did they fix Civ 5's core problems with all the patches and expansions such that the basic game is good, if not perfect, and CivBE can build on a foundation that is sound? Are the problems in gameplay that Shafer acknowledged resolved?

I know that no one really knows the details of CivBE's differences and implementation yet, so any answer would be speculative. But I'd especially like to hear from Civ V veterans who weren't so pleased with Civ V when it came out, but stuck with it, and now think that it's more or less a worthwhile product.

Thanks!

2. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

I think the best for you would be to catch a moment when Civ V is available at an extremely reduces price and get it for yourself. Nobody will be able to evaluate if you'll like the game or not, not even yourself. In the beginnings of Civ V, I didn't like it in theory, but I discovered that I liked it in practice, which is to say I enjoyed playing it. It was a weird dichotomy. Sulla's arguments made sense on paper, but in truth the game was better than that. And it's even better now, while still having its flaws.

I bet that a complete edition of Civ V will be offered for cheap at some point before the release of Civ: BE. I also bet that, if you hate Civ V, it's unlikely that you will like Civ: BE.

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

If you're so scared about playing a buggy unfinished game, you probably should wait at least until the first patch before buying CIV:BE.

4. Makavcio

Makavcio Chieftain

SCBrain, wait for a Steam (or any other) sale and buy the complete Civ5 or if you really don't want to spend a few bucks on the game, just download its free demo. There is no reason why you should base your actions on other people's opinions when you simply can test the product yourself. As a big fan of the game, I'd really recommend to test it.

And as to CivBE, as you pointed out yourself, we are speculating about speculations so if you were to build your impression as some kind of a cocktail of random impression of other random people, this would simply be insane :crazyeye:

5. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 Chieftain

wait for a steam sale, buy civ 5 with the expansions on the cheap, and see for yourself. I enjoy it now, and I also played civ since civ1.

that said, it looks like cbe will be a radically different game what with the tech network, unit workshop and other stuff. games sharing the same engine do not necessarily have to resemble each other. and remember that the screen shots are still alpha, so it will look a lot like civ5 because of all the placeholders.

6. SCBrain

SCBrain Chieftain

Dear fans,

Thanks for the reply. Let me rephrase my question a bit, although I see that to some degree there is another thread ("not excited") which basically discusses the point.

After Shafer left CivV, he published a long essay about the failures of his design. Did the subsequent patches and expansions address his concerns?

SCB

7. SamBC

SamBC Chieftain

Patches and expansions improved the game; I'm not sure they dealt specifically with his concerns, but then I don't agree with all his concerns.

Sulla's criticisms were a) overstated and b) based on vanilla at release. The game works and is fun.

8. Aeson

Aeson orangesoda Retired Moderator

I think the subject matter of CivBE allows for more ways to deal with the issues you seem to worry about.

Civ is stuck in a timeline. There's only so many ways you can address issues. CivBE gets to make stuff up ... so can conceivably come up with a lot of ways around issues that could cause problems for Civ.

I am much in the same boat, only I skipped Civ V until just this year because of real life time issues. I'm sure I would have played it otherwise. It's a pretty good game. Could be a lot better without 1UPT, but still worth more than the $12 I paid for it. CivBE will have 1UPT, but hopefully a better implementation.

So now that I can spend a lot more time playing games ... I'm going to pre-order CivBE and roll with it. I think it will be an interesting game at least given the subject matter.