1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If Deity (or war) is too easy for you, how do you spice things up?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Steve Eric Jordan, May 19, 2019.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Reminds me of an old favorite line. "Your opinion is wrong. I can tell because it is different from my opinion".

To quote Dark Souls: "YOU DEFEATED"

:D

sa1vy likes this.
  2. Bradypus

Bradypus Chieftain

I find social skills to be good tool in spicing up my games. I work the grievance system to gain positive relations with the majority of AI leaders (majority meaning 90+%) to single out peaceful AI leaders that aren't looking to fight. I really find role-playing spicy.

3. cvb

cvb Chieftain

I suppose, you want to apply those ExtraMaintenanceCosts only for the human player?! ;) so would I suggest, to use as hook the Events.LocalPlayerTurnBegin for a quite small Lua script in gameplay context, which runs through the human player's unit list,
    local pPlayer = Players[eplayerID]
    for _, pUnit in pPlayer:GetUnits():Members() do

fetches the coordinates of all the units and calculates the distances to the capital (cf. eg. corruption in civ1, 2 ...)
    local iUnitX, iUnitY = pUnit:GetX(), pUnit:GetY()
    Map.GetPlotDistance(iCapitalCityX, iCapitalCityY, iUnitX, iUnitY)

You have to define, how you want the ExtraMaintenanceCosts depend on the distances. Finally the sum of those Extras is applied to the human player's gold account:
    pPlayer:GetTreasury():ChangeGoldBalance(iExtraMaintenance)

A detailed statement of account could be printed to Lua.log, if you like.

4. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

- iExtraMaintenance

5. cvb

cvb Chieftain

Only for people like you & me. You know, the casual player doesn't like to be punished for doing great. ;)

Don't you think, there is some conditional code hidden - so that every casual player can enjoy playing on the highest difficulties ("everybody is above average")?

6. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

So you would add the extra maintenance cost to their treasury? :crazyeye:

Are you trying to get a job as civ 7 dev with FXS? :lol:

"Everyone is special, Dash..."
    "Which is the same as saying nobody is."

7. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

I've tried this in MP games with friends. None of us would call our selves anywhere near the best and it was not much fun on Immortal or above. The numerical advantage in units the AI has is pretty ridiculous in the early game.

8. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

I mentioned that the Eleanors can capture cities with two Rock Bands with the -50 Loyalty promotion and a city close enough to be applying pressure. How about a Domination Victory without firing a shot for a challenge?

The way you beat the AI is to develop faster than they do, cities, tech, culture, etc. Eventually that focus taken to its extreme leads to speedruns. It's not wrong or against the spirit of the game; if you're enjoying yourself, you're playing right.

I enjoy playing Huge maps with the number of Civs and City-States turned all the way up. You might enjoy something else, maybe playing against 7 Aztecs or something.

9. seanos08

seanos08 Monarch

I like to impose the rule on myself that I am not allowed to generate grievances. So no DOW on weak neighbors or knocking over CS. I fight back if attacked or fight as part of an emergency but don't denounce/formal war and certainly never surprise war.

This means I end up with about as much territory or even less than the AI and it is my challenge to develop it better and get a victory - usually SV or DV. To achieve this it is necessary to have a decent and up to date military.

10. Eurritz

Eurritz Chieftain

That's exactly how I play most of my games. The hardest part is the program not crashing after a while.

Casualty of war likes this.
  11. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

Does anyone really know if more players = higher difficulty? I would almost assume it would be the opposite once the early wars are over.

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Less odds of losing to culture/religion, slightly higher risk of someone else hitting space before you kill them. Doubt it makes much difference.

13. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

You don't need to kill them in this game to stop them from going Alpha.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

True, but stopping 5 people at approximately similar finish times is harder than stopping 1. Or at least, it will take more micromanagement and further test patience.

Though you could just go for a pseudo VC and out-tech them or kill them before that.

15. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Spies. AI is coded to use a wide-SP strategy for SV, which in theory gives them an edge (1 SP every city, surely one can launch things into space...), but in practice, spies in the hands of a clever player that promotes them optimally and uses them and related policies efficiently, wreak havoc in said wide-SP AI strat. I would even argue that a one-SP SV strat is much better, and maybe even meta, I use it all the time, easier to defend optimally (never had an SP destroyed in all these years), and easier to centralize in a Magnus-run production powerhouse.

16. cvb

cvb Chieftain

I'm quite serious. From my point of view it is not necessary to implement a deep, detailed simulation, just a simple model for gameplay: Unit Maintenance Costs linear raising with distance; modified by unit on same, different landmass; friendly, neutral, hostile territory; army in state of mobilisation, demobilisation.
    Well, I think, from both of us you are the UI guy. So you can take the 'statement of account' info and put it into a nice screen instead of me just dumping it into Lua.log.
    For the question whether to add the extra maintenance cost, I propose to give the players all the freedom in the setup menu: let them choose, whether they want to add extra maintenance costs to their treasury or subtract those costs from their treasury. :D
    I enjoy immensely the freedom to modify what I want and how I want (which is limitless only after the final patch, btw): Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes. (I am not bound over to swear allegiance to any master; where the storm drives me I turn in for shelter.)

17. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Trading with AIs for gpt or stock gold or anything else that a human would absolutely refuse is the main difference between playing humans and AIs.

Deleting these kind of trades bring the sp player more near from ''human like'' games. So i completely agree as a good rule to make games more challenging.

I also recommend this mod: Better balanced game made by the mp community(good for sp too).

Last edited: May 23, 2019