If having roads all over the place does not help your trade...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by The Q-Meister, Jan 27, 2006.

1. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

then why does the AI still have them everywhere like in Civ 3? (And Civ 2..)

I have been arguing for a long time that different leaders, different nations and different cultures should promote contrasting styles of play, not just the same ones. This should be especially true in the pre-modern era. When I look around to the lands of the AI and see exactly the same building patterns it really depresses me. This game would be much better if when, you visit another country, it actually looked like you were visiting a different country with a different leader and thus, naturally, a different style of play not just "roads everywhere and anywhere" Since there is no built-in advantage to doing so like in Civ 3, I don't see why the AI continues to do this.

2. BadAndy

BadAndy Chieftain

there is an advantage...it is allowing units to get anywhere with the minimum amount of turns

3. Darwin420

Darwin420 Darwin Plays Video Games

It would be nice to see different AI behaviors, mimicking a "personality." Hopefully the expansions will address this issue. Or, even just randomize it, so AI becomes even less predictable.

4. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

The same reason I do, redundancy of the trade net and speedy movement of my troops when I need it.

5. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

There's really too limited a selection of improvements in the early game to give each Civ its own personality for it.

As for the roads, I'm guessing the AI is incapable of just resting its workers until it has exhausted all building possibilities.

6. The Camel

The Camel Chieftain

I am sure that the AI "automates" it's workers, so i see no reason why their land should look any different than yours if you had automated them. what would be nice tho is the different city types as in civ2 (i never played 3 so i don't know if they were in it). mediteranian cities would look it, oriental cities would look like it and so on. and to expand more to that have cottages (and all upgrades from there) follow the style of the civ that made that cottage. you would see a huge difference in your neighbors land and they wouldnt have to change their style improving their land, which i would think would be pretty hard to implement. And even if a city was taken over it would retain the style of the founder of that city and same with towns, they would still have their original look, and if you wanted it to look like 'your' culture, destroy the old one and make a new one. i think this would add a great deal of depth to the world without sacrificing game play.

7. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

That's a very good idea.
    It's a shame though that building roads is so easy. It would be nice if you could sit on a major highway in an empire and destroy the flow of units. As it is they just walk on by. Perhaps there should be an upkeep charge for roads, or having more roads than a fixed number within the city radius.

8. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Roads are useless to enemy troops as they give no movement bonus, so there's no point to guarding a highway.

9. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

in past games, didn't roads give a slight boost to improvement build time? If so, is that the case in Civ IV? If so, does that answer the original question?

10. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Often I get the luxury problem of not having work for my workers (waiting for a tech to arrive) and then set them to build roads rather than hanging around

11. Kerrang

Kerrang Warlord

Given that movement is more restricted in this version as opposed to previous versions of the game, it is still useful to place roads everywhere you can. As was mentioned, this not only allows your units to move to where they are needed as fast as possible, but it allows for redundancy in trade routes, as well as access to resources, and access to your own cities in a time of war.

I recently played one game on Noble where I did not get to fully develop the road network around some of my border cities before I went to war against Alexander on that front. My larget city there, and consequently the one Alexander really wanted to get his hands on, only had one road connecting it on each side, for several tiles. One of the first things the AI did was pillage these roads, which cust off resource access for the city, and made it more difficult for me to get units inside to defend the city. The state of affairs went on for several decades, as everytime I would send a worker down to reconnect them, Greek Knights would come across the border and take my worker.

I eventually got enough of an upper hand to get the roads rebuilt, and pay back Alex in spades for being so much of a bother, but it did teach me the value of a redundant array of roads.

12. Steve2000

Steve2000 Mighty Pirate

Once you upgrade them to railroads they do give a +1 hammer to the tile. Not sure, but I think that is only for tiles that already produce 1 hammer, but someone can correct me.

13. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Prince

RRs give +1 hammer to mines and lumbermills.

There is another benefit to roads everywhere, and that is when you get invaded. Attacking no longer takes away a full movement point. If the defender is on a hill and a road, it only takes the 1/3 movement to attack, leaving 2/3 movement to take cover. I do this all time. AI lands a stack of units with one tile spacing between them and my city. I can move a unit out (1/3 mp), attack (1/3 mp), and move back into the city (final 1/3 mp). The AI does this as well. Mounted units have even better range.

This is why when I pilliage AI improvements, I get the roads too. This way if the AI pops out and attacks, it costs him one full movement point (or more for hills, forests, ect.) for the attack. It you place your troops right, you can catch his mounted units running out of MP after an attack, and not being able to retreat to the city. Crunch.

14. xonixs

xonixs Warlord

They do? well now im gonna rush railroads in the techtree ;)

15. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

EDIT: Someone already answered this.

16. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

I never played Civ1
    In Civ2, roads added one trade arrow (commerce) to plains, grass and desert. Rails increased any tile's shield (hammers) output by 50%.
    In Civ3, roads added one commerce to all terrains. Rails increased food by one for irrigated tiles and shields (hammers) by one for mined tiles.

17. Xoon

Xoon Warlord

I could have sworn that in either Civ II or Civ III players were instructed either in the manual or tutorial that you want to build a road before you improve land (build mine, irrigate, etc...) because the road increased the build time of those improvements. Did I dream this benefit?

18. Ranos

Ranos King

While the interstate system in the US is the primary means for troop movement, all Federal and State highways can be used as well as the back country roads. If an enemy was to invade and destroy an interstate in a certain area, our troops would just use alternate roads.

19. chewbaccad

chewbaccad Chieftain

If I'm remembering correctly, and Civ4 may have blotted out all those who came before, building a road in Civ3 decreased the time for clearing jungles, marshes and such. It did not decrease the build time for anything though. Could be me just going senile though...