If hypothetically, North Korea Collapses... What do we do with it?

TheLastOne36

Deity
Here is a question for you,

I think the obvious situation is to give it back to South Korea, but the question is, Would South Korea want it's northern half back?

Would it be beneficial to South Korea to pick up North Korea and pump hundreds of millions of dollars into it to modernize it? How about the people themselves? South Korea would be responsible for feeding another 30M people, as well as educating them etc. Not to mention the sudden flood of immigrants to centers like Seoul and Busan could lead to employment problems.

What gains would South Korea make in the long term of allowing North Korea back? Would these gains outdo the losses? Can North Korea ever meet South Korean standards? Would Korea as a whole ever recover from a unification?

And, if it was your choice, how would you do things?

It's a better place than either Yucca Mountain or Kentucky would have been for America's nuclear waste dump.

Combined population of 73,000,000 in between one of the richest countries on the planet and one of the fastest growing.

Transition/debrainwashing would be difficult but eventually they would prosper.

Reunification would obviously be a long and arduous process. If the South avoided the German mistakes, it should be manageable. Not easy, but manageable.

First, NK would be turned into a protectorate, people wouldn't be allowed to move out because otherwise the South would be flooded with refugees. Instead, market economy would gradually be introduced until NK would become viable.

The military and the communist party would have to be dismantled and its leaders punished (I wouldn't be against summary executions of top military and political leaders - or better, I'd let them all starve to death in the very death camps they built for their opponents). This alone would ease the pressure on NK agriculture (the NK army in fact forages), and together with Western/South Korean/Chinese help, it should quickly become effective enough to provide food for all the people.

Reunification would obviously be a long and arduous process. If the South avoided the German mistakes, it should be manageable. Not easy, but manageable.

First, NK would be turned into a protectorate, people wouldn't be allowed to move out because otherwise the South would be flooded with refugees. Instead, market economy would gradually be introduced until NK would become viable.

The military and the communist party would have to be dismantled and its leaders punished (I wouldn't be against summary executions of top military and political leaders - or better, I'd let them all starve to death in the very death camps they built for their opponents). This alone would ease the pressure on NK agriculture (the NK army in fact forages), and together with Western/South Korean/Chinese help, it should quickly become effective enough to provide food for all the people.

Pretty much. South Korea wants reunification, but it wants it on a gradual time line. I think that's been the government's official stance.

South Korean unemployment is only 5% it seems so potentially they could absorb lots of minimum wage workers.

USA could take it and milk it for all the cheap labor it has. If the population is only half as good as Chinese to assemble cell phones and farm gold in online games, it's probably worth it as you only have to keep them from starving to make their life much better than it used to be under Mr Jong-Jong (or whatever his name is).

More realistically, a lot of North Koreans will emigrate to South Korea, China, Japan and many other countries. Tons of Christian missionaries will stream in there. The UN will try to do something, but not accomplish anything, and either China or USA will install a semi puppet leader "democratically chosen". It will be a really <bad> place for some decades before it becomes like South Korea is now, and who knows - maybe they'll reunite then?

South Korean unemployment is only 5% it seems so potentially they could absorb lots of minimum wage workers.

Most North Koreans aren't qualified to work minimum wage jobs. Seriously. They'd start work at McDonalds and have to be trained not only on how to make fries, but what fries are.

I don't know what will happen there

but the market for asian mail order brides will boom

I don't care as long as China does not get it.

PS. What is with all the switching?:lol:

Pretty much. South Korea wants reunification, but it wants it on a gradual time line. I think that's been the government's official stance.
Yepp, a South-Korean delegation came to visit Germany one or two years ago hoping to learn from our mistakes.
Though the GDR was back then in much better shape despite it collapse than North Korea is today. So it will be tough nevertheless.
PS. What is with all the switching?:lol:
April 1st approaches

I can't imagine South Korea not wanting to unify. Makes not the least bit of sense to me.

thank god that Korea can finaly be united again.
I just hope the north koreans are respected, because they lived their whole lives trying the best to make North Korea strong, and happy.

Top Bottom