If Israel were a civ, what would be its specifics?

LightSpectra

me autem minui
The leader would almost assuredly be either Joshua or David. They didn't suck, they're well-known and they were both internal and military leaders.

What about the UU and UB? Other than the Temple of Solomon, I don't know what's famous about ancient Israel. Perhaps the waterworks that the assassins used in the Book of Daniel to overthrow the Babylonian viceroy, but I don't know what bonuses that would ensue.

UU would probably be the Macabee or some kind of infantry, UB maybe a Kibbitz or whatever that thing is called, although it may be too modern...

We could reiterate here the same questions from Italy vs. Roman Empire question - why Joshua or David and not Ben Gurion ( for ex. ) ? ;)

What exactely are the link between ancient ( some-how mythised ) kingdom of Israel and the modern state of Israel ? I warn you - religion is not a correct answer as long as at the end the Roman Empire and Italy share the same religion ... :)

Regards

There would probably only be one leader of Israel, and ancient Judea is more recognizable than the very young modern state. Therefore, David makes more sense.

The UU would have to be the Merkava - the hands-down most badass tank in the world.

The UU would have to be the Merkava - the hands-down most badass tank in the world.
I would prefer not, IF Israel would be in the game, let it be ONLY the the Ancient state. The modern state is far to controversial.

So use ancient city-names, ancient UU, ancient UB and a ancient Leader.

There would probably only be one leader of Israel, and ancient Judea is more recognizable than the very young modern state. Therefore, David makes more sense.

More recognizable? I don't see that at all!

I would prefer not, IF Israel would be in the game, let it be ONLY the the Ancient state. The modern state is far to controversial.

I disagree. I would rather see the modern state, than the ancient. We have alot of ancient civilizations in the game already, and alot of them from the same area. It would be far more intersting to see the modern state, and UB would ofc be the Kibbutz. However, I agree, it could be far too controversial.
But then again.... I wouldnt mind Firaxis going that way. I mean, it wouldnt be the first game in history featuring Hitler, if they chose that option as well.

True, true. But I really would like a Merkava. If someone is playing with the idea of modding in an Israel civ:D I would never expect Firaxis to add one, it would raise a sh*tstorm.

The King will be David
The UB will be a slingshot and a rock.......

Possible Leaders:
David
Solomon
Don't know traits or much about those guys. I know about David and Goliath, but that's pretty much it.

Bah! The game need more modern civs and modern UU/UB! Only America and Germany does that now!

Leaders: Joshua, Solomon, Herod the Great, Hezekiah (in that order)
UU: Macabee
UB: Altar? (enhances happiness with State Religion buildings)

I know people like David (I'm rather partial to him myself), but I don't really think that he's a good leader choice for Civ. The guy spent a lot of time as a guerrilla fighter hiding from Saul, then he spent a lot of time being a successful organizer building up Jerusalem and preparing materials for his son to construct the temple, and in the middle of that, he spent more time as a guerrilla/refugee fleeing from his rogue son Absolam. Compared to the other choices, David is simply too well-rounded to use. Think of picking traits: spiritual, aggressive, organized, charismatic, and others apply. He's also only one generation removed from Solomon, who is another good choice, but why would you want two leaders next to each other in the timeline? I think that many of the same strengths David possessed can be found split evenly between Joshua and Solomon. Joshua was the military and spiritual leader, while Solomon was the scientific organizer. They're also seperated by enough time to give a larger breadth of Israelite history by including both.

Herod the Great, while being one of the less beloved leaders of history, really did a remarkable job and again, is rather distinctive from the other two both in style of rule and in time period. Hezekiah would also be a nice choice (gets a Protective and Spiritual in there).

The modern state could be added in I suppose as the political resurgance of the old Israel, but how many leaders do you really want? Even if you have up to three, Joshua, Solomon, and Herod give you a huge breadth of history: founding, height of power, and decline under Rome. The Macabee unit fills in the blank between Solomon and Herod with the uprising against the Greeks. I suppose adding a modern building for the UB could be used to include the modern period as well, but I really am not a fan of the modern secular Israel, so I could easily live without its inclusion.

I think it would be great to have the ancient israel state in the game. David, Joshua, Solomon, Hezekiah are all viable leaders IMO. Hezekiah did oversee the digging of a large tunnel under the city to a spring, which supplied them during a great seige, so that could be a possible UB idea. It is hard to think of a suitable UU or UB though. We'd need some ancient Israeli historians to help us there.

Ancient Israel?

Leader - Abraham- religious and expansionist? protective?

UB- altar. Replaces monument. Extra happiness from cattle and commerce from sheep.

UU- Great Person with extra abillities-

Moses the Prophet would enable settlers to cross seas on foot, bring plague upon the enemy and cause the enemy to lose the slavery civic.

Joshua the General would have walls fall before him.

Gideon the General would make enemy stacks disperse, one each to an open adjacent tile, the remaining units in the stack, if any, would fight each other until only one remained.

Samson the General would cause collateral damage to temples and colosseums.
His unit would require no strategic resources to upgrade. Anything is a weapon in his hands.

Solomon the Scientist would cause all other nations to pay tribute to his wisdom.

David the Artist would write 150 hit singles.

Ezekial the Engineer would bring 1 Future Technology.

Top Bottom