1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If its to release on Oct.24th shouldnt it be

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by TownsendVol, Oct 17, 2005.

1. TownsendVol

TownsendVol Bringer of Justic & Hope

gold already? My question is since I have scheduled 2 vacation days for the release of the game, is it going to even be out by then? Any idea. If not I will reschedule them. :)

2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Is Civ IV gold?! :eek:

Edit: Nevermind, misread what you said. And I think the official US release date is the 25th, not 24th.

3. vorius

vorius Warlord

I think it already is gold but they are just holding off on announcing it ?

4. TownsendVol

I hope that is the case. Just wondering if I needed to reschedule the days. Is there any official word on the release date? I have not seen any.

5. vorius

vorius Warlord

Well, check this out. Goto http://civilization4.net/ and then scroll down to the article "ANNOUNCEMENT FOR `GOING GOLD` TO COME".

Reading it again it's not clear whether it's gold already but it confirms that the game will ship Oct 25th. So take 26 & 27 off :)

6. reddragon72

reddragon72 Chieftain

I saw in other forums, IGN and another civ forum, that the gold announcement will be out on wednesday morning. This coincides with the day the first batch of boxes are shipped to retailers for a tuesday release. But this is just rumors take it as it lay.

7. TownsendVol

Thanks again for all your help. I will have to keep the days where they are, cannot get the next few days after that off. :(

8. Rayanth

Rayanth Prince

It's not the 24th. it's the 26th.

9. Modifiable

Modifiable Chieftain

Are you also in law school?

10. vorius

vorius Warlord

:lol:

EB must be pretty hard on their employees if they need to include such disclaimers :)

11. oxonian2001

oxonian2001 Warlord

If Rayanth were in law school, s/he would know better than to admit working at EBGames at all. :)

12. knupp715

knupp715 King

They could wait until six days before the release to announce if it has gone gold yet. We'll just have to wait.

13. Rayanth

Rayanth Prince

I technically shouldnt' even be admitting that i'm an EBGames employee, as oxonian said. However, the association helps people understand that what I'm saying isn't just random garbage. The disclaimer is just so I don't get in trouble -- you'll note that I never say my real name, employee number, store number, or even give a general idea of my RL location =)

EB's not hard on their employee's. They just don't want to be misrepresented -- by emphasizing that I'm not representing them in my discussions, everything's clear.

14. weakciv

weakciv Prince

However, by your same argument, we can not confirm your information is true either. You may not be an EB employee. Not that I care whether you are or not, just that the internet is such that all anyone really can be sure of is confirmed information. And that only comes from multiple sources.

(I just say that for arguments sake, and not to try to discredit any of your information.)

15. Rayanth

Rayanth Prince

This is quite true. However, I'd like to believe that most of the information i've supplied "as an employee" has more or less shown that I either am one, or should be =)

Seriously, most people don't understand the shipping date/release date difference, and i've emphasized it many times. Call up any EB and they'll tell you the same thing... call up GameStop and they'll probably tell you the shipping date is the release date, then you'll go in that day and be disappointed that they don't have it yet.

I've gone to extents to ensure that I don't reveal internal information -- that would be a direct violation of my employment terms and could eventually result in my termination (there is still one method that EB can use to track me down off these forums) I'm just doing my best to help keep everyone educated from EB's perspective, without making EB not like what I'm doing =)

The disclaimer is in place more for the posts that I get involve din that end up in a debate or opinion-based discussion... the factual information I provide doesn't matter much. But the opinions could backfire if you go to an EB and say "well Employee #so-and-so at this other EB store #yada said...."

16. weakciv

weakciv Prince

Beleive me I do understand. I work in a, how should I say, "related field". However I can not provide "any" information from work, regardless of disclamer.

I actually cleared my next statement with my company before writing this.

"Firaxis has said that the release date is Oct 25th. It has been understood that this is the day sales can begin on this product. This confirmation happens with all products to ensure "our customer's" satisfaction."

The link was my doing because it is clearly stated on that page.
    Anyone who has an idea about product life cycle will understand the "type" of business I work for.

(As I said though, you can not be sure I work for anyone of significace other than by my word.)

17. covenant

covenant Warlord

I stopped shopping at EB when they stopped allowing full refunds on opened games up to ten days after purchase. Ahh those were the days.

18. mdm

mdm Warlord

Now that it's Tuesday I'm almost certain it will release next Tuesday. With no gold announcement nor a delayed announcement, it seems that there's simply more to do than to tell eWeb "It's gold!"

Am I crazy in my line of thinking? I'd be surprised if it were delayed when it's so close to release.

19. Rayanth

Rayanth Prince

We wouldn't have done that if people didn't use us as a free rental, or free method of burning a copy of the game.

People would buy the game, beat it, and return it (opened) saying they wanted a refund... at no cost to them, they got to play the game. We ended up with a game we couldn't sell as new because it had been played.

Alternately, people would buy the game, open it, burn a copy, and return it saying it didn't work on their PC, or they didn't like it, or whatever...

So we adopted the same policy most mega-stores (walmart et al) adopted. If it's opened, it's yours.

20. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

So when IS it going to hit the shelves???