1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If Rapture were to happen next year, would you be ready?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krogan Doctor, Dec 28, 2013.

1. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I feel better prepared than somebody whose moral compass is askew enough to think that it's okay to hit someone's car and not tell them.

2. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

What kind of rapture are we talking about, precisely?

Link to video.

This one?

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Nein!

4. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

Probably only a few thousand people are qualified to be raptured and they're all old folk. So not much to get ready for since not much'll change.

5. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Rapture isn't biblical, but it's one interpretation of biblical eschatology. I suppose it's as good of an interpretation as any, if not by design a bit exclusive.

I'm not an eschatologist. I don't believe in that manner of exclusivity. I don't personally think much of the rapture at all, and I imagine I'm fully prepared for it, among any other interpretations which are thrown my way.

6. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Maybe everyone qualified to rapture already did so. We are the damned!

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Nobody knows when but God. Jesus doesn't even know (which kinda precludes him being God, yo. Unitarianism FTW baby, yeah!)

8. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Can some Christian smart arse explain what is actually Rapture supposed to mean? Or else I would have to agree with Zigdust here...

9. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Since you were so polite in your asking, I am just going to point you to the wikipedia article rather than bothering to explain it myself. Enjoy your link reading. I haven't read the article to determine if it was written by someone who actually knows or rather by some "atheist smart arse" trolling so I cannot speak to its accuracy. But that's what you get for being polite when you ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

10. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

The concept of sin is anthropocentric and speciesist, the same are Abrahamic religions. Things which are worse come from these two, anthropocentrism and speciesism, and can be defined as humans being in conflict with nature, which is both external, in the form of atrocities upon natural world and animals, and internal, in the form of becoming more and more detached from nature, natural life, realities and inevitables of life.

11. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

I went through the link (thank you) but didnt find it convincing in any meaningfull way. It seems to be all made up stuff from fairly recent development in Christianity without much connection with something written in Bible or some other significant source....

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm ready! Got my tickets a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty much packed.

You don't need pants in heaven, right? Cause that's what I heard so I'm not packing any

13. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Don't act as if agreeing with me is a bummer :(

14. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

It is a bunch of disassociated scripture tied together so as to force an interpretation of the signs and events of end times.

If you can throw away the concept most of the context happens at very disparate times, under different sets of circumstances, to communicate varied intentions to different people in different places...

...and if going to heaven is the biggest reason to believe in christianity...

... and if you're willing to ignore the direct quote cited by bhsup above ...

...then you kinda start to get an understanding of "rapture" and how it's used to make the bible into a weapon against naive peoples' pocketbooks.

15. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

I wonder if Dr. Krogan is familiar with the great dissapointment.

And still, the Millerites get a lot of credit from me for picking a date, instead of copping out with soon, imminent or some date so far in the future (2050) it becomes irrelevant.

16. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

Another vacation!? You just went to Thailand.

Please start a thread and include pictures.

17. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

The real Church takes no part in this. So obviously, you're being raptured into hell for heresy.

18. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

I'd say people are being misled, and it's sad people use the bible like this, but in their defense, I'm not sure the ones who perpetrate it know better, either.

Yes, I understand from the outside in, it's 2 sides arguing over an imaginary ice cream cone, but they're really adversely affecting their own followers with this.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't know if I want to do another "day by day" type thread. Maybe something just with pictures? I'm not really sure! I have began sorting through my photos though, I can def. post some

20. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

If Rapture would happen I'd just party with all the fun people who are still left. Certainly none of them were picked up.