1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If Rapture were to happen next year, would you be ready?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krogan Doctor, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

That's fine. I can accept you believe so.

All I'm pointing out is that oblivion, itself, is ultimately unknowable.

2. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Whatever works for you pal. :)

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

We're talking at cross-purposes.

4. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

I don't think people trying to enforce their mindsets on each other is as practical as it's made out to be, and there is always the possibility for deluding oneself about someone's behavior by wanting it to be something else.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, I don't know so much.

If you don't want people to shoot at you, don't shoot at them.

If you'd like people to send help when you've been flooded out, your crops have failed, or you've left one boot stuck in the mud, then you should send help to them in similar situations.

If you'd like to be taken care of when you're old and helpless, then maybe it would be a good idea to help old and helpless people when you can.

And so forth. These examples seem simple enough.

It can get complicated, though.

For instance if you'd like someone to give you a clip round the ear-hole when you've been objectionable, does this require you to give someone else one?

6. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Depends on how effective you view violence to be as a form of disciplinary action and/or social engineering.

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

This actually sums it up nicely. Sure, it may be an interesting debate, but even from a Christian religious standpoint, I don't think one's views on the rapture and how it will play out (or not play out if you don't believe it) matters in the least. It is not important for Christians to be deep theological thinkers on every single aspect of the Bible.

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well, yes. I picked a poor example. I can't for the moment think of a better.

9. CavLancer

Dp.......

10. CavLancer

Been busy, and don't understand. I was accepting your beliefs as yours as I wish folks would accept mine.

Whatever works for you. Really I mean that. I wasn't a believer until my early twenties. I didn't get indoctrinated as a child. I felt ridicule for those so naive as to believe without proof. At the same time a part of me had no doubt. God changed me when I was at my lowest, not before. When I was without self, God return to me who I was meant to be, and gave me faith. You are a much more respectful person of others beliefs than I was, and I do appreciate that, and I know that you can't have belief forced on you by guys in white shirts and a tie, by televangelists, or their ilk. For you it will take God himself. If that event should happen in your life, never be ashamed to tell what happened. Do this, and I believe God will visit you. I believe God knew that I would always stand by this event, I would not shirk or be a "doubting Thomas", or cater to the masses. This happened to me, and I only can guess why, but that's one I have some confidence in. I don't try to hang with the group, to mock or deny. I'm grateful!

Stand tall, when you know.

Aside from that, what is next, I do not know any more than anyone else, excepting that I have known a love beyond anything that can be imagined. So, I know wherever that spirit is will be okay. But the details, perhaps that is your oblivion? I don't know what I will do there. I want to explore creation, to see a quasar from the inside out. Is this the foundation for a community of worlds? Faith? Is there a world that needs help as I needed help, can I give back what I've gotten in some small way? These things are oblivion to me. I don't know what the future hold beyond this world, I just don't know. However I do know that there is a future and it will be okay. If that is oblivion, I accept. Much else beyond you may not believe in so as long as God allows it, or for eternity or until you cease. That's not my call...and I just don't know the why. I'm outside my knowledge here which is really very little, and very great faith wise. I can never doubt.

11. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

But, isn't the Rapture (and the final fate of your soul) incredibly, incredibly important? I mean, I spend a reasonable amount of time figuring out my diet and it's not nearly as important.

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

On an individual basis? Not particularly so, no. In fact, I'd say not at all. It's not like you can mark the date on the calender and say, "Okay, so I need to make sure I'm saved by Sept. 15, 2018." You're either going to be ready for it or you're not.

13. El_Machinae

Well, the Catholic tradition of frequently trying to 'make sure' might be knocking around in my thinking.

14. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Those silly Catholics! ;) In truth, though, maybe you have a point from that perspective. It's not one I have any experience in, so I'll defer to you on that.

PROTESTANTS RULE, YO!

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I thought Catholics generally hold that "'Betwixt the stirrup and the ground, mercy I asked, mercy I found."

So, that while you have to be in a state of repentance at the moment of death, there's always going to be sufficient time.

I don't know, though. I'm certainly no Catholic.

16. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm a reformed Catholic (which is to say, open-minded agnostic) and it seems to me that the status of your eternal soul should not rest on whether a global event happens while you were on your way to confessional or on the way home from it, or whether the timezone you live in is unfavorable to the timing of the event.

But that's just me. God works in mysterious ways, so :dunno:

This is similar to the question that ultimately undermined the foundation of what faith I had: some nasty person that steals from everyone for decades and dies of old age, finding Jesus on their deathbed goes to heaven. The person who devotes their life to charity and good works is killed on their way to mass and because they coveted their neighbor's wife on the way out of their driveway, they're going to hell. A higher power that is so mysterious does not seem particularly motivational to me, and since God is also all-knowing, clearly if He wanted me in heaven then he's not going to worry about which variation of Him that I worship, or whether I worship Him at all.

17. El_Machinae

I'm also not completely conversant with the 'once saved always saved'. It's what I was raised in, but a tremendous portion of my modern family is Wesleyan, and my 'feel' is that they're taught that they can fall from salvation.

18. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I thought that ruling was wrong? The protesters stepped outside the church. The founding fathers allowed the government to step outside the church.

No one rules "who makes it" and "who does not". That is only between God and the individual. GRACE RULES. Although grace is actually the freedom from all rules.

It is true that even Protestants are split between two schools of thought. Calvinist and Arminians. On one extreme, we have those who hold that only a few are predestined to make it, and on the other hand we have those who say that it cannot be known who is going to make it (fall from grace).

I realize that some humans have trouble figuring God out. Even those who seem to have authority on the topic do not agree on how God works. That should not stop people in approaching God on one's own terms, as long as one is willing to listen when God himself actually reveals his terms. Contrary to popular opinion, his terms may seem hard, but they are doable and they bring peace, not turmoil.

19. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Some humans? Which ones don't?

20. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

The ones that don't try? And the ones that accept some spoon-fed version they find in a book?