1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If Rapture were to happen next year, would you be ready?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krogan Doctor, Dec 28, 2013.

1. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

And who has authority on the topic, and where does their authority come from? God? :crazyeye:

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I suggest, those who have some experience in investigating the subject might be said to be the authorities, if there are any at all.

And the authority (such as it is) comes from their experience. Nothing more.

Is that reasonable or not?

3. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

It's reasonable except for the inherent dilemma - how does one "investigate God"? If nothing else, it seems like it would be like a team of blind zoologists examining an elephant. Except the elephant is a shapeshifter, only appearing infrequently, is way smarter than the zoologists, and has unknown intentions about whether it wants to mislead them or if so in what way.

4. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't know how it's done.

Perhaps someone who'd spent years in solitary prayer might have something to say. Perhaps not.

Perhaps someone who'd spent years looking at what people who'd spent years in solitary prayer say about their experiences, might be considered an authority.

Or perhaps it's someone with absolutely no experience, or preconceptions, who's an authority. Like a small child?

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Well, an authority would be someone who's excised as many historical and logical errors as possible. And, in the process, they'd know where to not make further mistakes in their descriptions of God.

6. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Wait, Krogan Doctor, by "next year" did you mean TOMORROW!?!

Yikes, no way am I ready. When I initially read the post I thought the whole deal was a year off.

What were those three things again?

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

God seems to be in many cases inherently defined in such a way that it'd be impossible to investigate him, which I find suspicious.. to say the least!

8. El_Machinae

Well, the majority of the investigatable versions have been disproven, though 'seek and ye shall find' still shows reasonable success rates.

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Does it? I've heard about this seek and ye shall find thing before. Believe me, I have sought. Yet never found*. As far as I recall.

Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.

*Or at least nothing that wasn't either extremely minor and/or had some other reasonable explanation, imo.

10. El_Machinae

It's a subset of people, to be sure. I think it might be due to some underlying latent factors that make people capable of 'achieving' this type of 'personal evidence'. But, there's no doubt that some people will proactively seek a spiritual experience and then later report a personal success.

11. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

When is the Rapture again? I need to check my schedule.

But in all seriousness, what is the biblical justification for believing in the rapture anyway? My Religious Studies friends tell me there isn't one.

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

It's tomorrow, apparently.

Are you ready for it? I'm guessing not, from your comments.

13. timtofly

timtofly One Day

If I had said, "I realize that only some people can figure out God", where would that leave us? For the benefit of the doubt most probably can figure God out, but to many it would not matter to them one way or the other. Unless we take a vote and the majority of humans say they cannot figure God out, I am left with realizing that some do have a hard time figuring God out.

It does sound crazy, but most authorities on topics are those who let the topic take over their thought process. Unless someone has found a way to control where thoughts come from, people are going to filter through these thoughts and toss out those they "feel" not relevant to their lives.

Of course it comes from people's experiences. It also comes from people's thoughts and the way they decide to live their lives. It would seem that is where every thing social and spiritual comes from. If you are saying that there is no God that can influence such thoughts and experiences, then that is another topic, or is it? Is accepting that only a few can have authority on a subject not a judgment call in itself? God is an equal opportunity will adjuster.

Are we throwing out all philosophy on the fact that there is no objective point? Either God exist or he does not. If God does exist, then he is capable of revealing himself in a tangible manner.

Anybody who is willing.

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

I thought he worked in mysterious ways beyond the capability of humans to figure out.

The most dangerous thing a religious person can do is claim to have figured God out. I would not want that person anywhere near me at any time.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Doesn't that depend on what they mean?

If they just mean they have had some kind of religious realization, why would that be a problem for you?

16. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Because figuring God out means there is no doubt to hold them back on whatever they believe.

What good are the laws a society has set when they have divine certainty?

17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Hmm. I'm not sure that would necessarily qualify as "figuring god out", though.

But I suppose it might. And I'd agree that certainty is (ahem) certainly inversely proportional to tolerance. As a general rule.

18. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

To the OP:

Are these the requirements?

19. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

1. Me and my fellow Jews can be saved!?
    2. What happens if I skipped a day
    3. Im very positive that I am the only person in the world who has never sinned, nobody can be as perfect as me.

20. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Photo or it didn't happen.

Or perhaps they are just rapture skeptics with a sense of humor.

This reminds me of how some Muslims react when people mock Mohammed.

31% of Sarah Palin Supporters Believe the Rapture is Coming Soon