1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If there was third Civ5 expansion which features would you like the most?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Krajzen, Apr 10, 2014.

?

Which of these features would you like to see in official/unofficial Civ5 expansion?

1. Improved combat AI

37 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Improved diplomacy

49 vote(s)
    57.6%
  3. Extended World Congress

42 vote(s)
    49.4%
  4. Extended Espionage

36 vote(s)
    42.4%
  5. Improved middle game - Enlightment Era and so on

36 vote(s)
    42.4%
  6. More Interesting Scientific Victory

43 vote(s)
    50.6%
  7. Bringing warmongering and agressive AI back to game

23 vote(s)
    27.1%
  8. Colonisation and Exploration

42 vote(s)
    49.4%
  9. New Scenarios

21 vote(s)
    24.7%
  10. Balanced Tall vs Wide and early social policies

44 vote(s)
    51.8%
  11. Original Nations rebalanced and made more interesting

32 vote(s)
    37.6%
  12. Extended combat system and military units

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  13. Extended internal management in the empire

22 vote(s)
    25.9%
  14. Revolutions and Civil Wars

39 vote(s)
    45.9%
  15. Basic Systems (science, gold) remade

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

I don't think Firaxis is going to create 3rd Expansion but who knows :p however there are two mod teams interested in creating some kind of unofficial expansion ;) and I was interested in what people would like to see the most.

Sometimes polls like this appear but they usually have very incomplete list of options.

I didn't include 'more civilisations' option because it is obvious one. Multiple voting allowed.

2. Oridan

Oridan Chieftain

I voted for a few things I think could be neat (like the improved mid-game and colonization options), but the most important thing for me is improved diplomacy. Specifically I want to be able to call a leader out on their bs. If they promise not to spy on me and then they still do it, I want to tell the world about that and give the spying nation a diplo hit with other civs. Same thing when they promise not to convert any more of my cities, and still send a great prophet to my holy city, which was the case in my latest game. Because I had a friendship with this civ, I couldn't denounce them either.

So yeah. Diplomacy. Fix please? :)

3. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

More scenarios! Like one of the Punic Wars.

4. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

GAME MADE PLAYABLE IN MULTIPLAYER.

That is all!

5. Myth and Legend

Myth and Legend Prince

1. Deity bonus to AI is more reltaed to decision making and intel gathering than hard + numbers to happiness, growth and free settlers/techs.

2. Improved combat AI where it abuses ranged units and can take early wars/cities like tha player.

3. Improved leader personalities. AI leaders now aware of each other (like in SMAC) so even early on, Siam and the Huns won't like each other while Babs and Korea might play nice but try to covertly stab each other in the back to hinder the rival science monger.

4. AI now has long term plans. Assyria skips early wars and goes for artillery if it can't benefit greatly for example. Sweden does a carolean timing attack. Morocco defends, spams a religion focused on culture and goes for cultural victory etc.

5. Pre renaissance techs take 25% longer to research to increase the time spent in archaic/classical/medieval eras, thus increasing the viability of early wars.

6. National college gives 1 scientist slot and 1 free tech. 50% tech boost goes to Oxford.

7. Deity AI devotes more hammers to units and infrastructure, thus making early wonders more accessible.

8. Askia can choose to convert a barbarian camp to a city instead of looting it. First time it is free. Each subsequent camp conversion costs 350 gold.

9. Babylon gets a free GS at Philosophy.

10. India gets 1% extra growth per extra happiness point in addition to its other bonuses.

11. Each salt resources reduces the chance of another salt resource being within 5 tiles. Now having a 4 salt start is as rare as a 4 gem start.

12. Observatory can be built if settled within 1 tile of a mountain. Science bonus reduced to 25%.

13. Palace grants +2 happiness to offset low happiness starts or early wars.

14. Warmonger penalty reduced by 33% if the player is not the aggressor in a war.

15. Ranged units have a -15% combat penalty when next to an enemy melee unit.

16. Rebalanced Liberty, Religion and Honor SPs to be on par with Tradition.

17. It is possible to convert promotions when the unit changes its type upon upgrade.

Something of the sort.

6. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I voted for 5 options:

1. Extended world congress: This is an area I really feel is lacking. I often find myself fighting to become leader only to prevent AI from randomly banning resources, only to then find myself staring blankly at the screen when having to chose a proposition, having the choise between something that will make me pariah of the world while giving me a benefit I might not really need (world religion/world ideology) and something that I'm not really interested in (resource ban, city state ban, player ban). World games and world fair are great, but when these are gone, most of the rest is lacklustre at best.
    2. Extended espionage: This is my pet peeve. I think current espionage system is just horrible. I hate that it doesn't interlace with diplomacy better, like be able to share information on third party intents (hey Bismarch, Napoleon just asked me if I wanted to join him in war on you, I think you should watch your back). I hate tech stealing system (wait 30 turns only to discover last tech they had and get no benefit, meh). I HATE city state coups. I find lack of customization in spy leveling dull an unimaginative. Espionage buildings are just plain nonsense (build constabularies and police stations in all cities - wtf?). I find new spies spawning automatically when an old one is killed strategically uninspired.
    3. Middle game era: I really feel the middle game could be expanded with a new era either before or after Industrial era (Enlightenment era or Colonial era). Middle game zips by really fast as things are now, and this would leave room to expanded resource system (cue coorporations) to interwork with your newly developed industrial society. This is where there's room to actually add a lot of new stuff.
    4. More interesting science victory: Yes, this victory condition now stands left as being really dull. It's just a question of who reaches key tech first. This could be made much more interesting. Should be done while re-thinking Great Scientists, Great Merchants and Great Engineers in same way as Great Artists were re-thought for new cultural victory.
    5. Colonisation and Exploration: This I see tight much into a new mid-game era. We need game mechanics that makes it favorable to extend your empire in later game, establishing cities in new continents etc. Again a connection to resource system should be thought into this, we need something that makes bonus resources more significant, and logical solution is to make them necessary as raw materials to be worked in factories etc. to produce new goods to trade from Industrial era and onwards.

There are numerous minor balance tweeks I would also like to see (tall vs. wide for instance), but above are my top priorities.

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

8. Pegasus_77

Pegasus_77 Prince of the Wealth

Contact the aliens

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

9. andreafin

andreafin Prince

fixed world congress that doesnt ban trade with city states or luxuries, but does something realistic instead. or at least gives a realisitic chance to repeal bad resolutions like ;luxury or trade bans with CS. also yes i want to do more than just warn a 3rd party that someone is plotting or moving an army against. like when asked to war against them. maybe a 'in 10 turns im attacking you because he is bigger than me an i am scared. be prepared.'

10. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Add a few techs to the earlier eras and intertwine the tech tree a bit more. It's too easy to beeline to Philosophy as it currently stands, and by extension, to Theology as well. By adding a few more dependencies, as well as one or two more techs, you make players stay in specific eras longer.
    Rework National Wonders so that while their construction cost still increases with the number of cities you have, they also get stronger per building. For example, Circus Maximus gives +1 happiness per colliseum, Ironworks +2 Hammers per workshop, etc etc. This gives a bigger incentive to build a wide empire. On top of it, add something in Liberty's policy tree (possibly in addition to the finisher) that makes building National Wonders a bit easier.

11. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

Definitely. Maybe Rome could get a slight revamp while they're at it. Personally, if they made an expansion that was all new scenarios and new civs, I would buy it. Latin American Revolution Scenario, Middle Eastern Trading Scenario, Rise of Russia Scenario, etc.

12. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

I hate the gold system. I do not play with city-states enabled. I would like better system for those who hate city-states.

13. Dellan

Dellan Warlord

THIS!

Seriously, whenever I have to propose a resolution I always go with something, which won't make me unpopular like "Natural wonders give +3 culture" or something. I really don't benefit from that crappy resolution and thank God people vote against it, so I can propose it next time again. :rolleyes:

14. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

There should be a world congress security council, which would have a set amount of permanent members (chosen based on their score at the time of the security council's founding) and a certain amount of temporary nations, who would be elected. The security council would meet more frequently then the normal world congress, and would be focused on peacekeeping missions, embargoes, denunciations, and other more aggressive proposals. In turn, the normal world congress would get more development related proposals.

15. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Check City States Diplomacy mod.

16. echolalia

echolalia Chieftain

I also would like a revamped world congress. I think there should be a greater range of proposals, preferably paired choices similar to arts/ science funding, for instance : colonization; social policy cost and science costs reduced for founding cities , paired with its opposite, national parks; costs increased for same. This could be linked to a civ's expansiveness score. you could also have proposals linked to increased or lessened warmonger hatred . Perhaps ban R.A's etc. On a slightly different note, proposing to embargo city states should give an instant malus score with all city states as should voting in support of this proposal, serously what would most nations of the present world think if the G8 or the un council prposed something similar.

17. WileyNg

WileyNg Prince

I can't believe so few people vote for improved combat AI or improved diplomacy

after a few games AI becomes very predictable in their choice that the fun starts to plummet

18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I don't think it's because people don't want an improved AI, but if we have to be realistic about things, that wouldn't happen in a third expansion. A seriously improved AI would probably require re-writing major parts of the code, and if they are going to undertake such a work, it would make more sense to do it as part of developing Civ6 at this point. Patch-working on something that's bad is unlikely to be as good as doing something completely from the bottom, so I think that's why most people here voted for new features we would like to see added instead.

19. markdata

markdata Chieftain

I'd recommend applying to any Civ V changes some of the lessons-learned from the half century of recreational board and miniatures wargaming, and also some from the real military simulations world. A couple of the most important are that we cannot directly transpose game mechanics from the board or miniatures genre directly into computer games, and perhaps more importantly, that the game design and mechanics needs to avoid mixing strategic, operational, and tactical concepts in one game format. Civ V, for example, is excellent for representing tactical conflict at the tribal, city-state, and up to the duchy level, but the mechanics fail at the operational and strategic engagements of the nation level, so it shouldn't even attempt that game scale. Thus the recommendation to trim the tech tree, units, and such to end at the rise of large national armies, as in the Napoleonic Wars. At the game distance scale, with single tactical unit per hex, a single nuke would wipe clean the entire map - a nuke, heavy bomber, or ICBM is out of place in a tactical one unit-per-hex game. Another point tactically is the use of melee units to protect ranged-fire units, for example including some spearmen or pikemen with archers, or some musket infantry with cannon. So it would be nice to be able to stack a single melee unit with a single ranged-fire unit. It would also be nice to replicate some historical tactical elements, such as forming an infantry square in the face of impending cavalry attack; also the availability and correct tactical use of light cavalry/hussars, mobile ranged fire weapons like horse artillery, and light infantry advantages in rough terrain. And of course, a smarter AI, especially one capable of selecting and implementing a particular battle doctrine would help allot more than biasing combat resolution against the human player (or am I thinking of Civ3).

20. Pegasus_77

Pegasus_77 Prince of the Wealth

Marriage between leaders.