If you are new and need military tips

Havoc2009

Chieftain
I play civ 2 all the time and i am quite aggressive while playing, naturally i developed a strategy...
1) always start by choosing the first tech, which should be warrior code for military like players.
2) after that tech be sure to follow what will get you new troops, such as iron working (bronze before that) so you could get the Legion, which is good for going up against phalanx, later on you will have access to knights, which are better than legions in the fact that they can get their fast.
3) but if you are going to use knights be sure that your enemy doesnt have Pikemen, they can take out horsemen and knights VERY easily.
4) when you are going up against an enemy with superior tech, be sure to attack with a lot of troops, a warrior cant take a musket man but 12 warriors can.
5) be sure to keep the best of the best defending your cities, dont leave warriors fortified when you have a marine. Also the game suggests 2 troops as defense, i suggest 3-- you never know when someone will mount an invasion bigger than D day itself.
6) once someone builds the manhattan project you may be screwed, if you are behind and dont have rocketry you better take some diplomats and steal it because it just might save your game.
7) dont be afraid of war, it gets you lots of cities and normally they beg for peace after you take just 1 city.
8) be smart with production, if you are playing as chieftain click on something that has 2 turn to complete, then buy it, then change the production that has the next lowest turns and but it, then go to the tank which should now have 3 or 4 turns left on it and buy it (which makes it cost around 200 instead of 600)
9) never feel discouraged, if you see them preparing for war dont be oblivious you prepare the same way they are--then YOU attack first!
10) If you need advice contact me and i will help!

cry HAVOC and let loose the dogs of war!

If I play a conquest game my tech path is a bit different. I first go for Monarchy for better shield support. Then for Trade to build Marco Polo. Then I change maps to find out where the enemy is....Then I go for Polytheism and Monotheism. Elephants and Crusaders are in the early game the strongest attackers (because they can move two tiles). If the enemy can develop their techs fast enough crusaders are not strong enough but that will not happen often to me......

To speed up techs you must make sure the working tiles contain arrows (whale or fish are some great examples). Building roades will help also because a tile with a road will give an arrow (on most tiles (not on forrest)). Some caravan deliveries (best is to deliver them to the other civs for more revenue and more sciencebeakers) are great for quick science discoveries....

I'd say Magic has the best method. I do pretty much the same thing on conquest games - productivity backup in form of several well placed cities, then technological superiority via trading and/or stealing. I always attack the enemy with more powerful units, only when I have technological egde (which btw is not that difficult to achieve even on deity difficulty level). Use diplomats offensively by damaging defensive city structures, damage more powerful enemy units, sabotage production. If funds allow it, it is sometimes much more effective to pay the enemy to go to a war for you. Then arrive in the middle, when they're shredding each other and take their best cities. Divide and conquer. Also great wall and united nations wonders can save you from the more powerful enemy and under certain conditions make warfare somewhat easier. Also technology is important for another reason - obtaining more efficient types of government. Build statue of liberty, switch to demo, use power democracy to raise cities to a much higher population (and thus increase production output) and develop, then switch to fundy and attack with all you've got.

The makers of the game found that in civ 1 the greatest civilization early on continued to be great for the entire game. To create a hinderance for the best civ and to help out the lesser civs in the area of technology, they implemented a system known as the key civ.

Basically, each civilization is assigned a "key civ" based on their power rating, with "pathetic" being white and "supreme" being purple. The other power levels correspond to turn order. If you have more techs than your key civ, you will suffer a research penalty, based on how far ahead you are compared to them. If you have less technologies than your key civ, you can get a research bonus. The mechanics are a little more complicated, but this is the main idea.

The reason for playing purple is that if you tend to be supreme, your key civ is yourself, so you don't get a research penalty. Otherwise, your tech costs can get very high if the purple civ is rather backwards. The only options are to change your power rating (rather difficult without deliberately sabotaging yourself) or to give your key civ a lot of technologies.

The thing to notice about the key civ is that if there are less than 7 civs, some slots will be empty and the research penalty for the corresponding civ will be determined with the key civ having 0 techs.

The makers of the game found that in civ 1 the greatest civilization early on continued to be great for the entire game. To create a hinderance for the best civ and to help out the lesser civs in the area of technology, they implemented a system known as the key civ.

Basically, each civilization is assigned a "key civ" based on their power rating, with "pathetic" being white and "supreme" being purple. The other power levels correspond to turn order. If you have more techs than your key civ, you will suffer a research penalty, based on how far ahead you are compared to them. If you have less technologies than your key civ, you can get a research bonus. The mechanics are a little more complicated, but this is the main idea.

The reason for playing purple is that if you tend to be supreme, your key civ is yourself, so you don't get a research penalty. Otherwise, your tech costs can get very high if the purple civ is rather backwards. The only options are to change your power rating (rather difficult without deliberately sabotaging yourself) or to give your key civ a lot of technologies.

The thing to notice about the key civ is that if there are less than 7 civs, some slots will be empty and the research penalty for the corresponding civ will be determined with the key civ having 0 techs.

Ah. Thanks. It's good to learn about these things (although it seems to be a bit unfair)!

Very good explanation .

:)

I have my own strategy.

I research all the tech required to discover Philosophy, which means two things:
- I get one free advance (Monarchy, Masonry, Currency or Trade, in this order)
- this free advance is denied to the AI Civs.
Then I do everything I can to build the Great Wall (to avoid being attacked, both physically and diplomatically) and the Great Library (to stay abreast of anybody else)

With these two Wonders, I am safe AND have the technological edge.
At this point:
- if I have unhappiness problems, Pottery wil give me the Hanging Gardens
- if I have the opportunity, Bronze will give me the Colossus, and Map making will give me the Lighthouse; both are great revenue makers
- I MUST build King Richard's Crusade, this will add bonus shields to build Leonardo's .

If I am successful, my Wonders are: Great Wall, Great Library, King Richard's, Leonardo's, with bonus Colossus, Lighthouse, Hanging Gardens and Marco Polo.

I then aim to build Michelangelo's Chapel and Magellan. My government is Monarchy throughout, because it''s the most efficient in shield production and keeping the peace; my defensive units are 2 phalanx and 1 horsemen (in that order) only a total of 60 shields; 2 phalanx + Great Wall more than enough to keep all cities, horsemen to charge enemy catapult and barbarian chiefs for ransom.

In order to achieve this,I focus on building my cities 3 spaces from each other and all the roads necessary.
All roads leading to... Rome (or whicheverr your Capital City is) means I will build all my Wonders in the baricenter of my civ; that way all caravans will have an easier time getting there, benefiting from the proteciton of cities as they hop 3 spares/turn (roads,remember?)

This has worked well in all games, whether I'm playing Chieftani or Deity.

Top Bottom