If You Could Live Anywhere In The World...

...my idea of paradise: ... some isolated tropical island somewhere,

My place comes close. :D
... with satellite internet so I could still work and get regular supplies dropped off.
I have rickety broadband. :) We're supposed to get satellite, but approval is bogged down in red tape. :cry: Deliveries come right to your door. :)
I want to live somewhere that's warm and sunny year round,
We have warm year round, but we do have monsoon season. We rarely have downpours, but instead we get sporadic showers that can go on for weeks.
where I don't have a lot of interactions with other people
check :yup:
where I never ever need to wear shoes.
I haven't worn shoes in years :p
Soft, warm sand,
I only have a pebble beach. Panglao Island, connected by causeways to Tagbilaran, has sand beaches.
a nice cool stream with a waterfall,
No! Streams and rivers here are polluted with agricultural run off. They're
petri dishes of disease! :eek:
some beautiful flora
that we have :love:
and friendly fauna
that was eaten long ago. :(

I would like to move back home to Dublin, if I could. I miss it and I'm homesick. I have no idea why.

Of course, employment would be a bit of a problem until I got re-certified, but I'm sorely tempted to make the leap.

I would like to move back home to Dublin, if I could. I miss it and I'm homesick. I have no idea why.

Of course, employment would be a bit of a problem until I got re-certified, but I'm sorely tempted to make the leap.

Do you know anybody there?

Hawaii or Antarctica. If I could choose other worlds I would choose Mars.

I knew you were secretly Dr. Manhattan all along!
I think it might be cool to live in an orbital station low enough in Jupiter's atmosphere to see the clouds and stuff

Jupiter would cook you with its radiation inside a few minutes. I know the rules say you can live anywhere but I can't get over that personally.

Jupiter would cook you with its radiation inside a few minutes. I know the rules say you can live anywhere but I can't get over that personally.

Not inside my shielded orbital pod! Christened DRUGLAIR, it contains facilities allowing me to smoke weed constantly

Anywhere I live would have to be reasonably cool (I don't like hot weather), liberal, and English-speaking (since I'm hopeless at languages) which sort of narrows it down to the UK, NZ and Canada, but given my limited skill set I'm probably stuck with the UK. I've lived in Scotland, Wales, and the NW, NE, SW, SE and Midlands of England and the best climate was SE Scotland, cool weather, not too much rain, and high hours of sunshine.

Imma go with beautiful New Zealand. Nice and temperate but with shifting seasons. You can even ski there, I'm told. But I'd definitely miss some things from where I live now but perhaps the nicer weather would make up for it. Pros and cons.

Not inside my shielded orbital pod! Christened DRUGLAIR, it contains facilities allowing me to smoke weed constantly
A key feature of some of my first attempts at short story sci fi writing including sophisticated ways to scrub combusted cannabis from the air of mobile habitats on Mars. :lol:

Anchorage Alaska. It's a subarctic climate so it's plenty cold which I like, but it's located on the ocean which helps moderate the temperatures somewhat. There are plenty of outdoorsy type things to do there. In addition to the ocean, there are nearby mountains and lots of wildlife so very scenic. In the winter the short days and a short drive from the city there is low light pollution which makes for some good amateur astronomy. It's a moderate sized city so there are still most of the comforts of civilization. I can still get decent internet and go to movie theaters while living there.

Imma go with beautiful New Zealand. Nice and temperate but with shifting seasons. You can even ski there, I'm told. But I'd definitely miss some things from where I live now but perhaps the nicer weather would make up for it. Pros and cons.

If Alaska were out of the question NZ would be 2nd on my list. Although it's not as cold as I would like. I went to the south island in the dead of winter and there wasn't any snow except on the mountains :(

Do you know anybody there?
A number of friends from school that I've kept in touch with, and my entire family.

Of course, my entire family has disowned me, so that just leaves friends. :lol:

A number of friends from school that I've kept in touch with, and my entire family.

Of course, my entire family has disowned me, so that just leaves friends. :lol:

I don't have any contact with the people I knew as a kid. I could find a number of them on facebook, and other places. But I can't bring myself to do it. Not after all these years.

I've kept in contact with a few. It's my little link to home.

Top Bottom