1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If You Could Live Anywhere In The World...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GoodEnoughForMe, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

"mostly safe from climate annihilation this century" suggests an extraterrestrial location

Phrossack, The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  2. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Colorado's flammable and part of an unequal, increasingly corrupt and authoritarian country while not having a different language or anything. Don't get me wrong; I loved the wilderness and mountains there, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
    Can't have climate annihilation if you don't have a climate... *taps forehead*

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator Supporter

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Tell them you're Canadian. :mischief:

5. Truthy

Truthy Titular character

I want to visit lots of places, but I don't really want to live anywhere but the US. Frankly, I like living in the US. It's huge, has varied geography, has a great offering of exciting cities and universities, has a strong economy, and it leads the world in a bunch of industries.

I can't buy into the OP's premise that jobs and economic stuff don't matter and imagine living like Jimmy Buffett. I would go insane without work to do. That being part of my personality, the US is great because I have opportunities to work on stuff I enjoy in all over the country. I won't pretend the US is a great place for everyone, but it's much better for some than others.

If I had to leave the US, I'd go to London, Paris, Vancouver, or Toronto. But all of those would be materially worse for me than staying in the US.

6. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

If I had the money I would like to live in downtown Shanghai/Pudong for some time - China is where the 21st century happens so why not be at the heart of it. Probably Hongkong or Singapore would also be great choices but they are both too hot for me.
    For the long term living here in Germany is already pretty good even for an average income.

7. Truthy

Truthy Titular character

So far an awful lot of it is happening in the US

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

*barren red background in photo* Can't have sea-level rise if all your water got evaporated or frozen into ice caps a couple billion years ago

9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

My house is built next to the sea, in a former grove of coconuts, so I've maximized sea breezes and shade. In addition, my third floor is a patio, which keeps the house in shade and prevents the heat from the attic from transferring down to the house. As a result, I have no air con, although admittedly about three days a year, it'd be nice to have it.

I like flowers, but flowers won't bloom in shade. The only sun on my property is atop my seawall. As a result, I've designed flowers to sit on top of the seawall. They're mobile because six month a years, during the rainy season, the
    Habragat Wind blows off the sea and scythes down any plant smaller than a tree. At this time, we move the flower boxes behind the house.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

We really need to see some pics my good man. Especially of the roof top patio and its views of the sea.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  11. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I would like to live in New Zealand, although it will never happen. (Even if I could one day afford it, I'd never pass the immigration process.)

Without the confines of my disability and without concern for finances, I'd ideally separate my time between Southern Ontario, the PNW, and New Zealand, with room for short quarterly escapades to locales in Northern Europe and Africa. I would want a "home base", but the opportunity to experience new places for lengthier periods of time as I please.

hobbsyoyo, Hrothbern and MaryKB like this.
  12. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

What about the sea salt corroding your electronics and the dial up download speeds ?
    Mary KBs fantasy is for a small remote tropical island, which is completely different since her home would be very isolated.

13. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Chieftain

The nearest planet with an advanced species like ourselves.

14. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

I could maybe buy a snowmobile or work from home in this hypothetical example.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Snowmobiles aren't allowed on most city streets and if you live in the lower Midwest, the snow isn't typically frequent or deep enough to justify buying one. True on the working from home thing but most people don't have that option and it doesn't work when you're in a blackout caused by the snow.

16. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Howdy

Yeah having a livelihood that allows me to have extended stays in lots of different places is one of my life goals.

As for my home base, I'm pretty happy with Melbourne to be honest. Clean-ish, safe-ish, mostly nice progressive people, multicultural, the kind of weather that I like, not too small as to be boring and not too big as to feel suffocating.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  17. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram Chieftain

The Caribbean has the best climate outside hurricane season but Spain is more stable. Canada is too cold.

Birdjaguar likes this.