If you could pick an existing mod to merge with C2C, which one would you pick?

rightfuture

Emperor
If you could pick an existing Civ mod (from any version of Civ) that would get merged with Caveman2Cosmos,
what would it be?

Final Frontier Plus -(moving towards development)
Call to Power
AND 2.0 (AND is already in there)
ROM (most of ROM is already included - is something missing?)
RevDCM (old version included in C2C)
Fall from Heaven
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization
Realism Invictus
Total War 0.93 (Beta Test Version)
Orion's Grand Inquisition
Planetfall Mod
Legends of Revolutions
Road to War
K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword
Dune Wars
Battle for Barsoom [John Carter]
Thomas' War
Dawn Of The OverLords
Diplomacy II
Extra Mod
History Rewritten
Fury Road
Travel Through Time
Pie's Ancient Europe
Iran Iraq War Mod+Scenario
Mongoose Mod
Star Trek Mod
A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod
Star Wars Mod
Lotr mod
Moo2 Mod
The Song Of The Moon 2
Navigable rivers

and many many more.
Modpacks
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Just open discussion for the future.

Example:
Spoiler :

My other favorite mod was the Extra Mod by Chiyu,
[BtS] "Extra"
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234906
It is full of extra content from the official expansion packs,
all well integrated into Civ IV, balanced and fitting the theme of an improved vanilla experience. It still is as much fun as playing ROM or AND.
When I get more experienced with learning to mod, I intend to mod the remaining improvements into C2C.

I'd love to hear about the favorite mods of other people. It could inspire some great C2C improvements.

What's your favorite mod? (Other than C2C of course)
and why?

If you care and talk about it enough, you might be the one to get it noticed and brought in.

That's hard to say. All of those I would have to say not if they were "as is". Each mod is so different from C2C that straight merge would be too messy. However taking ideas and features from them is a much more realistic and practical idea. For instance I like many elements of the various Space mods, but I would chnage a lot of stuff to better fit C2C and my own style.

It would be comparable to say board games. It would be difficult to say merge Chess into Monopoly. They are very different games, however I could see a Chess themed Monopoly. Or a Monopoly themed Chess or even a hybrid game completely new. And I think that's how C2C is with the 3rd choice. We take the elements of both mods and combine them into something new. Which is why adding stuff from other mods takes a long time to do. C2C is more than just a CEP (community expansion pack), its taking the good ideas and expanding upon them. And weeding out the stuff that doesn't work or doesn't fit.

For example there are some great Civ4 fantasy mods, but C2C is not that type of mod. Likewise there are some great historic civ4 mods too that go into such great detail. However C2C is not quite that either. It falls somewhere in the middle where things are familiar and plausible but not quite historically accurate, nor magical and mythical either.

I vote for RFC. :D
Or rather the idea of having flexible and unique victory conditions.
Actually, DOESN'T have to be "historically accurate", especially since C2C is way too long for that.
Still, would be fun to see some specific gameplay ways to be used for specified victory, not just the boring "eat them all one way or another", which sums up ALL "normal" victory conditions, be it conquest or religious spread.
I for once enjoy struggling with personal quests, not just outrunning everyone else in a blind straightforward marathon against time and BOREDOM...
And C2C has vast OTHER options to choose from, not merely hoarding gold or spreading religion (or researching techs and destroying neighbors).
There's a thread on it around here, and I've written there much more in-depth on this.

I realize that this idea has great "scope for imagination", but that's what worries me about it, because I don't see how it can be practical at all.

That said, I've spent a couple of hours (nowhere near finished) looking back over the recent story and SG using PIE's Ancient Europe mod, because it has some great elements (and some intriguing elements that might be great if I understood them:crazyeye:).

i) the full black Fog of War returns eventually if you haven't been there recently.
ii) involuntary emigration due to unhappiness
in PAE it is only internal between cities, but emigration to happier, healthier or more welcoming civs would be really great
iii) five stability bars in the city screen
I don't much understand them, but they seem to be:
- revolt risk (like the Rev one we already have)
- emigration 'propensity'
- unit supply status (I would like to see unit supply implemented much more thoroughly than this seems to do)
- stability in the face of the enemy (when the going gets tough...)
- one marked "Enslavement" & "Exhibit. fight" which I've no idea about
iv) A religious civic called "Syncretism", which I interpret as a primitive form of Free Religion which tries to amplify synergies between different religions (whether or not you founded them)

And lesser but no less intriguing:
v) Dense Forest terrain: common and with a defence penalty like our Desert
vi) Land Monsters (ie. a Land Animal with strength 8 so analogous to our Squid with the obvious difference)
vii) Field promo names - eg. Trained, Battlewise
viii) Defecting units

I realize that this idea has great "scope for imagination", but that's what worries me about it, because I don't see how it can be practical at all.

i) the full black Fog of War returns eventually if you haven't been there recently.
ii) involuntary emigration due to unhappiness
in PAE it is only internal between cities, but emigration to happier, healthier or more welcoming civs would be really great

i) I really hate all the implementations of "forgetting terrain" that I have seen so far. It can also cut trade routes you had because the clear line of connection is not there.

The best implementation I have seen was in a game where plots were just for traveling over. In that one what the plots appeared to be changed subtly change what was on a plot perhaps increasing the size of a desert region and moving all the other plots one left/right/up/down. That meant that things still looked like what you the player remember but they aren't;) Even cities you met may move. Very difficult to do.

ii) We have Orion Veteran's Immigration mod in C2C and by default it does have the immigrants automating. Although it does not seem to always work right for everyone. We also have an event based on city stagnation.

To do
  • the event should actually produce an automated immigrant
  • other events on happiness and healthiness can be added
  • the AI for the automated immigrant needs some work as currently they don't check for danger on the way to their new city.
  • I want to add a new unit "refugee" which is also a immigrant type units which results from capture or razing a city, perhaps even from conquest anarchy. This means that razing your own city will not give settlers any more.
  • When I get the indigenous peoples back in, immigrants may settle there making anew city. Refugees may make refugee camps which needs a lot of work as many refugees could settle in the same camp.

To do
  • the event should actually produce an automated immigrant
  • other events on happiness and healthiness can be added
  • the AI for the automated immigrant needs some work as currently they don't check for danger on the way to their new city.
  • I want to add a new unit "refugee" which is also a immigrant type units which results from capture or razing a city, perhaps even from conquest anarchy. This means that razing your own city will not give settlers any more.
  • When I get the indigenous peoples back in, immigrants may settle there making anew city. Refugees may make refugee camps which needs a lot of work as many refugees could settle in the same camp.

What era are you looking at for the "refugee", if its a later era, i'd like to get some of "The Dunes" units incorporated. Or do you remember the mod thats about four yours ago, i believe it was called "Second Revolutions" but i am not sure of that name, but close.

The refugee unit is currently intended as just the same as the immigrant unit with the ability to build a refugee camp almost anywhere including in foreign territory! Refugees are mostly owned by the nation that lost the city. You would probably have control over it and it would be treated as an immigrant, ie you can't build a refugee camp with it, that can only be done if the unit is automated.

So far we have not looked at what happens with the immigrant beyond transhuman. Ie the one graphic fits all eras before that.

The refugee unit is currently intended as just the same as the immigrant unit with the ability to build a refugee camp almost anywhere including in foreign territory! Refugees are mostly owned by the nation that lost the city. You would probably have control over it and it would be treated as an immigrant, ie you can't build a refugee camp with it, that can only be done if the unit is automated.

So far we have not looked at what happens with the immigrant beyond transhuman. Ie the one graphic fits all eras before that.

OK i see where your headed, and i definite like this idea, but i believe it should be around Classical Era??

I was thinking that idea of becoming a refugee would not occur before a the actuality of having multiple cities. That means that the earliest they would appear would be "Sedentary Lifestyle" at which point they would be the same as immigrants. Then later at about Oratory they could settle in with indigenous peoples. Then later in the middle ages somewhere they could build refugee camps.

@Yudishtira

Off-Topic for the subject of this thread.
Spoiler :
You would understand if you asked questions. I'm always willing to answer them. :cringe:

BTW, would you be interesting some PBEM multi...

Well, if you don't have inquisitors already, my inner theocrat loved the idea of being able purge religions from your cities (conquered or otherwise), like you can in Orion's Grand Inquisition.

Well, if you don't have inquisitors already, my inner theocrat loved the idea of being able purge religions from your cities (conquered or otherwise), like you can in Orion's Grand Inquisition.

It ,inquisitors, is a game option. although we may not have the latest version from Orion Veteran.

It ,inquisitors, is a game option. although we may not have the latest version from Orion Veteran.

Have you looked at the latest version or talked with Orion Veteran on mutual improvements that could be done?

Is it possible to relatively simply merge the latest version in?

I really would suggest streamlining, balancing and/or bug-fixing the vast quantity you have already. Simply just bunging in "more" is like feature bloat - it's terribly tempting, but doesn't address any existing issues you may have already.

I am following that logic as well in the RAAT and R2R threads. That thread is about pursuing control of features and feature bloat.

This thread is more about seeing what mods people would like to see combined, and what features or ideas people would like to eventually see...
(in part or in whole, as ideas that could be improved, as merges, or copied over code.)

It is as much as exploring wish fulfillment as getting around to porting features.

Arakhor, these are great ideas as well, AND, AND 2.0 could also be considered C2C Light to a degree, and mods like the K-mod also explore these things very well. I do want to see what we can do.
Maybe they can offer some value to the process.

It is a hard balance to achieve, focus on fixing/improving existing features without stagnating growth, and/or keep building new features without fixing the old ones.
There is only so much time and help to pursue both, it is an going process and contracts and expands as people have ideas.

Personally, I think we need to keep the mod moving to the Cosmos, and along the way, take time to fix major issues as we can see discover solutions. The more we can all discuss how to better balance that so that new/old are both adding to and improving the experience, the better off we will be. I fall in both camps, better stability and focus on improving older features, better movement towards newer ones that improve the game. I really don't think we should ignore either., and cause problems.

I don't want to see so many new features that it bogs down the game, or is buggy. I also don't want to stop exploring new things. I think a balance can be found, and that we are doing an even better job of getting to that. With more discussion and help, we can have the better of both worlds, without complete abandonment. Reworking features to include new ideas can lead us past mutual exclusion. Moving towards mult-maps, and a nomadic start doesn't have to stop progress or ongoing discussion. I say work towards fixing some of the major problems and move on the new ones as solutions present themselves as part of the improvement process.

I am open to further discussion as always. I would love to address what people think our focus should be, and what problems we should tackle. I would also love to see more options on things people don't like, and eras made optional so that we can play how we like.

To get back on topic. I think we should consider the merging of the Final Frontier Plus mod, or parts of the Planetfall mod for next month - relevant to the Galactic Era. What do you all think?

So what does anyone want to see?

Top Bottom