If you could time travel

What would be the first thing you would do?

• Get rich

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Prevent various tragedies from happening

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Learn as much about the past as possible

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • Have sex with one of your own ancestors

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Go and live with the radioactive monkeys

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 30 35.7%

• Total voters
cure my mortality.

1. Future travel and find out the fincial information on investments
2. Travel back in time and invest to be finicially well off to afford mortality treatment
3. Future travel to buy mortality treatment
4. Then I expect spend a long time educating myself before making any changes to history or tampering.

i woudl fix my two butterfly negative events, and defend Constantinople from the ottomans at 1453.

sure id lose, but ill have a time of my life.

i woudl fix my two butterfly negative events, and defend Constantinople from the ottomans at 1453.

sure id lose, but ill have a time of my life.

Why not save Emperor Basil from the herediatry crisis which spelled the high water mark of the Byzantium empire. Christian Greek control of Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Chypris as well as Constantinople. Sure it not as "fun" as fighting a war but poltical machinations were just as important.

Anyway Constantinople was a shell of itself after the sacking by the crusaders and the stupid civil war which torn itself apart.

Why not save Emperor Basil from the herediatry crisis which spelled the high water mark of the Byzantium empire. Christian Greek control of Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Chypris as well as Constantinople. Sure it not as "fun" as fighting a war but poltical machinations were just as important.

if i altered time from that point, Byzantium can still fall. remember, Islam is quite prevalent.

not to mention the stupid emperors a long tiem after the Macedonian dynasty ended. (it will end at one point or another)

if i altered time from that point, Byzantium can still fall. remember, Islam is quite prevalent.

not to mention the stupid emperors a long tiem after the Macedonian dynasty ended. (it will end at one point or another)

I was pretty sure that christians still were the vast majority of the population in all the middle eastern parts at that time. Which is why they so readily revert back to Byzantine control.

Anyway why would you limit yourself to just one pivitol historical event. I'd imagine you would want to see it played out and continue to intervene at various points. Especially if you can change the system of heredary requirements so that lame emperors can never obtain the throne and poltical reforms to avoid its decay.

I was pretty sure that christians still were the vast majority of the population in all the middle eastern parts at that time. Which is why they so readily revert back to Byzantine control.

Anyway why would you limit yourself to just one pivitol historical event. I'd imagine you would want to see it played out and continue to intervene at various points. Especially if you can change the system of heredary requirements so that lame emperors can never obtain the throne and poltical reforms to avoid its decay.

yeah but the thing is if i jump through time like that and interfere in Byzantine affairs i may be recognized. it could be unpleasant. even though it was clear that my interference preserved the Roman state.

yeah but the thing is if i jump through time like that and interfere in Byzantine affairs i may be recognized. it could be unpleasant. even though it was clear that my interference preserved the Roman state.

Generations of persons born hundreds of years prior to you would know what you look like and who you are?

It would ? You can always claim to be the son or grandson of said famous person. Nothing a little make up wouldnt work. Besides questions and suspicions of immortality would be useful in some cases where getting the emperors to heed your advice. Especially if you want to push some more radical changes.

Perhapes even establish your reputation as a healer from the far east (Canada)
so you can easily influence the poltical system and its players including there rivials (Islam and Latin Christians)

I just said "learn as much as possible." It would be the best to talk with historical figures... Preventing bad things from happening in the future is best achieved by learning from our mistakes in the past. But suppose I go and assassinate Hitler, would that solve anything? Imagine, because of that, WWII could happen right now because the world never learned from what happened. What's done is done, it shouldn't be changed.

:lol: Having sex with your ancestors. Would be cool having an identical brother or father or w/e.

I just said "learn as much as possible." It would be the best to talk with historical figures... Preventing bad things from happening in the future is best achieved by learning from our mistakes in the past. But suppose I go and assassinate Hitler, would that solve anything? Imagine, because of that, WWII could happen right now because the world never learned from what happened. What's done is done, it shouldn't be changed.

:lol: Having sex with your ancestors. Would be cool having an identical brother or father or w/e.

if hitler was assassinated, we lose the war, because someone more competent replaced him.

there woudl be a USA-Nazi cold war. any guesses who would win? i pick the USA.

If you're looking to stop the Islamic conquest, you'd probably have to go back to the 7th century and take care of the originals.

Even then we might still have a lot of problems. Maybe that part of the world would be giving Orthodox Christianity a bad name instead of giving Islam a bad name.

If you're looking to stop the Islamic conquest, you'd probably have to go back to the 7th century and take care of the originals.

Even then we might still have a lot of problems. Maybe that part of the world would be giving Orthodox Christianity a bad name instead of giving Islam a bad name.

no way. i want Islam to live. what i can do is help Byzantium starting just after Bulgarians surrender in 1018. and pop back every now and then, supporting the Byzantine state. ill even help them if there's a world war. (don't support Germany).

If I had the power I would like to change Islam in some cult where pigs are honoured as sacred beings (the only reason they're unclean to Abrahamic religions is because they were prone to having deadly flatworms, it was dangerous to eat at those times, unlike today; but Muslims, unlike Jews aren't even allowed to touch a pig).
Women neither should cover up and would be seen as equally-valued (but not equal, but they shouldn't be less, like is the case in Islam). Nudity would be no taboo. Extra-marital sex would be allowed. There would be no problems with homosexuality. Visual arts, as well as music would be no taboo in any variant of Islam. There would even be statues of Muhammad inside Mosques. Polygamy would go for both sides, women and men. In the 8th century there was a great shortage of men, so polygyny would be encouraged. If there was a shortage of women, polyandry should be encouraged.
I just wouldn't be able to be that influential, even if I knew the Quraish dialect Muhammad spoke. I neither could get close to Muhammad nor influence him nor take over his place, I'm sure of this. I wouldn't be that well in producing a poetic/prosaic mix the Qur'aan is. I am only picturing if I had the personal power of uniting the Arabs and spreading this newfound doctrine to the masses. ;)

So Islam remains the misogynous, ******ing, sober and violent cult that has grown too big.

By the way, I notice that post-Reconquistal Spain had a lot in common with Islamic Spain. Even the Inquisition is said to come from Islamic culture. It also used to be normal in Castilian and Andalusian culture to demand of women to lock themselves up inside their homes, cover themselves up or get harassed, a.s.o. Back in those days Spain wasn't even seen as 'real European' by other Western powers. You can see these references in Don Quixote. I'm glad Spain became Christian, because these influences are certainly Islamic.

I'm not a huge fan of Christianity, but at least Christianity wasn't such a brake as Islam in regards to arts. Sure, Islam had its golden age, but it was merely scientific. Also because of Islam art hardly developed (except among peoples who weren't that well Islamised, like the Turks, and they learned a great deal from the Greeks).
I also know that women here weren't respected until deep in the Middle Ages (from disdained to protected) and actually also until Modern times (from protected to equally valued). Also Christianity had an issue with art for a while, but not ongoing as is the case with many current Muslims and practically in every century Islam is existing.

Islam is to me like Christianity and Judaism, but in many regards more primitive. I both like as dislike the fact that there's no real hierarchy. I like it because no person's will is seen as absolute. I dislike it because every nutter who knows some base about Islam can declare himself an expert and can spread extremism at a faster pace than in other religions. Especially when a group is kept poor extremism spreads like wildfire and the leading figures of these extremists know this and try to make or keep the situation as miserable as possible in order to 'win' souls.

Personally I wish Europe remained to its older pre-Christian roots, they were just as violent, yes, but more tolerant religiously and less exclusive. But of course, in Pagan culture women neither were respected. Well, they weren't in Greek and Roman cultures. I know they were in Celtic, I don't know about Germanic though.

if hitler was assassinated, we lose the war, because someone more competent replaced him.

there woudl be a USA-Nazi cold war. any guesses who would win? i pick the USA.

Thw war was unwinnable with or without Hitler.

I don't want to get too OT (this is more for the history section). Even if no one had attacked the Soviet Union, I suspect the Soviets would have attacked Germany at some point and taken advantage of the situation. But even if Germany hadn't atacked the USSR, the germans couldn't tackle the United Kingdom, let alone having U.S. enter on their side. Without a navy, what could Germany hope to accomplish against the UK?

No, it's just sick.

Actually, if you go back far enough, say 6 to 8 generations, any one of your ancestors is so genetically removed from you that it probably wouldn't count legally or scientifically as incest. Your parent has only half your DNA, so it's a hair closer on the ol' incestometer than nepophilia. Your grandparent has 1/4th your dna, so it's genetically comparable to getting busy with a first cousin. Great grandparent has 1/8th your DNA, which is like hooking up with a second cousin. At some point, it's just not going to increase your odds of producing abnormal offspring.

But that said, it's still wrong.

1. I don't consider grandparents or grand grandparents to be my ancestors, they're just not ancestorly enough for me. They have to be at least grand grand grandparents for me to consider them ancestors.
2. How would I ever find my ancestors anyway? I mean it's not like I'm of some royal/noble blood. My grandparents is far as my knowledge of my ansectory goes.

Top Bottom