If you couldn't live in your own country......

Zardnaar

Deity
Where would you live? Try and keep it somewhat realistic (lets assume the country you want to live in lets you in) so no "I would go to some south pacific atoll and live of cocunuts and have a mansion" unless you can actually afford a lifestyle like that. Saying you want to go to America from the USA from europe is fine even if you ccan't afford to.

My top 3 places I would live in if I had to leave for whayever reason.

3. England. They speak english and I have relatives there. Apart from that its only because I can't think of a better option.

2. Canada. Another English speaking country that it probably similar to home. Not to many people but its colder than here.

1. Australia. For most of the above reasons and is warm. I also like Australians despite them beating us at rugby all the time:D

So where would you like to live? Any of the above countries America , New Zealand, France, Germany, Japan, Korea??????

i live in Belgium:

1. The Netherlands, same language so not much of an adjustment. Allthough i don't know if i could stand their affection with orange.

2.New Zealand, beautifull country but i don't know if there's much to do there. I'm kinda used to living in the city.

3.Finland, i studied over there for 6 months. For the female population alone, it deserves to be at number 3. I like the winter but i don't like the darkness.

4. England, easy language, nice folks but a lot of rain

errm:

South Africa -- Love the place. Have almost my entire family there.

Zambia -- Homeland of my father. Love the place more then S. Africa. Sad, however, because conditions have gotten so bad that my grandparents, who have lived in Zambia since the early 50s are thinking of leaving after my grandfather was nearly beaten to death.

Turkey -- I am just fascinated with how it is an amalgam of Arab and East European culture. I love the history, the art, the people, everything about it.

If I had to leave the country for I dunno which reason, I think I would miss Paris especially. Then where I would go ?

1- New York City, United States. It's the only city where I felt really fine outside of mine. I'm quite fascinated with large cities. However, just like in Paris, foreigners used to not be warmly welcomed in the city. I mean by that they are accepted, but just ignored... that's a thing of big cities I guess... we don't care that much to meet new people... I guess that's because we know already so many people. Then, I would certainly come back to Europe.

2- Berlin, Germany. This is a lot less dense than NYC or Paris, but it's a great city. What I liked the most when I were there was the feeling the city had just been built. It's just as if the whole city had been built in the 90's and is still under construction ! Well, I like that since it's giving a living side to the city. It's culturally speaking a great city in the center of European 20th Century History. However, most people living there told me they never been comfortable there at the end so it just gives me a reason to put a third place ;).

3- Brussels, Belgium. Well, I'm actually born there even if I left it at the age of 3 :lol:. I like the liberal wind coming from the Netherlands but I'm just not fond of their language... so Brussels is just a fine place. French speaking city, I guess I could be comfortable there... :)

1- Canada; liberal, english speaking, close to home
2- Netherlands; very liberal!
3- UK; great culture, english speaking

Maybe NYC isn't so welcoming to foreigners because we have so many, so we can't tell who lives here and who visits. Most people are courteous if you remember not to be obnoxious...like taking up the entire sidewalk or something.

I guess I can live in Canada (likely Toronto or Vancouver) or Britain. It may not be the best economic climate, but there are some places in Brazil and Argentina that I wouldn't mind living. I'll only list Poland out of curiosity and with warm relations between America and Poland, perhaps I can find a job to keep it that way.

Originally posted by The Yankee
Maybe NYC isn't so welcoming to foreigners because we have so many, so we can't tell who lives here and who visits. Most people are courteous if you remember not to be obnoxious...like taking up the entire sidewalk or something.
Well, yeah that's what I meant. Actually, I weren't talking especially about NYC but also about Paris. Both cities are about the same about that (like most of large cities I guess). :)
I'll only list Poland out of curiosity and with warm relations between America and Poland, perhaps I can find a job to keep it that way.
Don't get focused on that "warm relations" thingy. That's just political, not at all about people. You won't be better welcomed in Spain than in France because Aznar supported Bush. I don't want my answer to be felt as rude... but I've heard so many paranoid people who thought they were risking their lives if they were going to France I'm a bit tense about that topic.

Ireland was pretty good, and the only foreign country I've visited (besides a day in Mexico - but I definetely wouldn't live there after that day).

Ireland seemed good. I'd love to live in Dublin and then have a cottage somewhere in the country.

But nothing beats New York. :yeah:

I know. But if I can only learn Polish, I'll fit in just fine. But what I was thinking was the unemployment rate in Poland today, so if I secure a job as some kind of liaison or something, I'm pretty much set, especially if I'm paid American wages with American dollars.

Originally posted by The Yankee
[...] especially if I'm paid American wages with American dollars.
Right now, trust me, it's better to be paid with zlotys or euros ;). The US dollars worth nothing... good at home for americans but bad overseas for them.

Ok. I stop thread jacking :).

Netherlands (Amsterdam/Rotterdam)
Britain (London)
France (Paris, or the riviera)
Italy (Florence/Rome)
Spain (Barcelona)
Russia (Moscow/St. Petersberg)
Poland (Warsaw/Krakow)
Israel (I MUST understand this nation above all others)
Ireland (Must see the hyperdeveloped state known for its poverty)

I think it'll go back eventually. Besides, I added in American wages for a reason.

You know, Autrailia might not be so bad, or New Zealand....

Well the US dollar won't do to much for you over here either. 2 years ago it was great for american tourists. 1 Dollar US was worth over $2 NZ. Now its worth $1.40 maybe. its still better but its spending power is down by about 40%.

Its probably similar in Australia. Whats the appeal of Poland though? I've heard its doing the best out of the old eastern bloc countries but is still poor? Culture, Relatives, Economy?

Culture, yes. Realtive, yes, but I don't know them. Economy...well, it is doing the best out of the former Soviet satellites. It takes time, I suppose.

But none of my choices are realistic anyways. I can't afford much now.

Canada, England, Australia. I can speak French mais si j'y vais ils me lyncheront pour mon - euh - grammaire americain.... :p ;)

Scottland (ancestor's "homeland")
Germany (Either Dusseldorf or Bad Aibling, lived in both for two years each... beautiful country and friendly people :) )
Great Britain (even though they drive on the wrong side of the road ;) )
Austrailia

Top Bottom