1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If you couldn't live in your own country......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zardnaar, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

It's gloomy, it rains, so what. In parts of North America the weather can be life threatening at times. How many people have died of exposure from -100F wind chills in Torquay?

2. Lifeblood

Lifeblood Defender of the faith

If you like the concept of rain or have a raincoat fetish you should definitely give Britain a go. And the beer is pretty good too. Or if you're more inclined to the tech side, sweden has nice 100mbit net connections for the price of a sixpack. Every country has perks but one.

Finland has no perks :(

Unless you consider a maze of burocracy a perk :)

3. Amorphus

Amorphus I'm a ninja

To hang out with YOU Wicked, geeze :crazyeye:

4. Pongui

Pongui Deity

Mmm. Moist socks and strange ales. I think Vancouver, Canada must be sister city to London, England.

I'll more likely move shop to Japan. It's a carpenter's paradise.

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Hmmn a few replies so far. Seems as if Australia and England seem popular.

Don't the women out number the men in Sweden? Or is that a stereotype (heard it about Iceland to).

6. Elden

Elden is back!

Italy, Ireland or Canada

7. Knowze Gungk

Knowze Gungk NOT a mushroom

I'd throw a tantrum, on as high a scale as I possibly could.

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Mmh...

Probably USA or New-Zealand.

Germany would be a winner, if not for the langage. Having to learn one from scratch is bad enough, but having to learn GERMAN is really a bit more than I can stomach :D

9. yaroslav

yaroslav Emperor

Whoow....

A lot of places, in fac:

*The first four countries are in no particular order, becuase there are very similar to Spain.

1) Portugal - nice country. I've visited it some years ago - and I love it. Plus it appears to be very similar to my loved Spain.
    2) Italy - same reasons (not visited). Italian language is beatiful.
    3) France - same reasons (I visited it this year but only for a few hours). The problem is that I fear French will be harder to learn than Italian or Portuguese.
    4) Any Latin-American country (probably Argentina first, or Colombia if there were no guerrilla and paras)

*This countries because I want to improve my english:

1) The United Kingdom.
    2) The United States
    3) Canada.
    4) Australia.

*To recover my "roots"

1) Israel.
    2) Germany.

But I've also curiosity about the Scandivanian countries (plus the woman are very beatiful), the East Europe countries, Greece, Turkey, all Latin-American countries, etc. In fact, I feel curiosity about the whole world.

10. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

hehe, seconded :)

I would have to say that Canada or UK/Ireland would top the list.
    Canadians seem to be much like aussies in temperament and nature so that'd be the appeal of living there. For the UK etc it'd be because of cultural similarity and history. We are still part of the commonwealth you know. Plus, I could probably play cricket professionally over there :)

Only problem would be the weather. too cold in both those places. My next pick would probably be south africa, but I do have many other places where I would like to go and just submerge myself in the language and culture until i could get along :)

11. polymath

polymath Tleilaxu Mentat

Maui or Thailand or The Maldives...I have beautiful memories of all those places.

Maui was just unexplainably "Wow!".

12. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

One thinks you should go to Britian for the climate, another thinks they have good beer in Britain.

Have you ever had a British ale? Have you ever had a (Belgian) DeKoninck? Have you ever tasted southern Germany's Wheat beer?

Even from an objective point of view, we can conclude British beers should only be consumed in case of emergency ;) !

13. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

except for Guinnes, which is Irish, not British, and just makes your point ;)

14. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

One must be discriminating. One must know where to find the good stuff. The rest we sell to the eurotourists.

15. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

Which is why Britain is short on tourists nowadays?

Anyway Col, having an idea about your age, I think we can accept you like ale ;) .

I'll try to stop offending now, okay?

16. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

Similar to how we export Fosters :)

And I would be more concerned as to the temperature of said beer rather than it's quality :)

17. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

I'm a US citizen, but I currently live in Japan. The only places I'm considering settling down are Switzerland, Iceland, and Japan, in that order.

I will not be living in the US again, ever, and hope to obtain citizenship somewhere else as soon as possible so I can renounce my US citizenship and be through with that hellhole once and for all. That means I probably won't be staying in Japan, since there is no way I'll ever become a citizen here, ever.

18. Hayek

Hayek Old Whig

I would like to move to the UK anyway when I'm finished with my studies here, possibly Jersey, London-area or somewhere else in Great Britain. If not that, then I think I'd quite like anywhere with a nice, warm, climate. Or maybe I'm just saying that because it's winter and cold outside where I live.

19. Laughing Gull

Laughing Gull charts, graphs, databases

Australia
    Canada
    Jamaica

I would definetley not want to live in Europe. I'd like to visit, though.

20. ShiplordAtvar

ShiplordAtvar Texan by the grace of God

Move to Texas. We have concealed-carry laws.

Violence is something you don't have to worry about too much if you don't live in the crappy part of town. If you do, then you'll need at least a couple of firearms (stashed in different locations around your house) and plenty of ammo for each. Gotta love home invasions.