If you had to associate each City State to a Civ (ethnicity)

Szpilman

Void Co. Chairman
If each City State would be ethnically associated with a Civ, how would you go about that? It can be from any point in history. Would any CSs need to be replaced, and by what other? It would be nice to get an even distribution of City States for the Civs (around 2 for each one), even if it means replacing City States (the less important ones go first).

Any input is appreciated, lif you are native to some country that has to do with a Civ/CS, listing all CS under a given Civ, or if you only have an opinion on one particular City State, if you think this association doesn't make any sense or will never work and why, etc.

Below is a list of the City States, already assigned according to the majority's suggestions
Russia
  • Warsaw
  • Helsinki
  • Opera's Riga (Maritime)
England
  • Edinburgh
  • Dublin
Rome Which one do we eliminate to leave only three?
  • Genoa
  • Florence
  • Ragusa
  • Venice
Germany
  • Copenhagen
  • Oslo
  • Vienna
Ottoman
  • Bucharest
  • Budapest
  • Belgrade
France
  • Brussels
  • Monaco
  • Geneva
Japan
  • Seoul
Siam
  • Hanoi
  • zappara's Malacca
  • Opera's Davao (Maritime)
China
  • Lhasa
  • zappara's Macau
  • zappara's Hong Kong
India
  • Almaty
  • Shiggs' Bandar Seri Begawan
Songhai
  • zappara's Koumbi Saleh
  • Opera's Accra
Persia
  • Sidon
  • Tyre (or Babylon?)
  • zappara's Samarkand
Arabia
  • zappara's Anfa
  • Opera's Addis Abeba
  • Opera's Khartoum
Greece
  • zappara's Troy
Aztec
  • Opera's Cuzco (Militaristic)
  • Opera's Tikal (Militaristic)
  • Opera's Calakmul (Militaristic)
America or Iroquois?
  • Opera's Quebec (Cultured)

These civs don't have any City State so far:

Egypt
Babylon
Iroquois

Some City States might not be a good fit for any existing Civ, they can be left as extra as long as each Civ gets it's fair share.
Kuala Lumpur
Singapore
Rio de Janeiro
Cape Town
Stockholm
Shiggs' Madrid
Shiggs' Sydney
Shiggs' Karakorum

Modded City States credits
Opera's City States of the World
zappara's Historic City States
Shiggs Earth

Feel free to suggest new City States for lacking civs. City States are easily moddable so I can do that based on your suggestions.

Vienna would go with Germany, obviously. Kualu Lumpur and Singapore with Siam. I can't think of the others right now :/

Edinburgh & Dublin would be England. Cape Town too perhaps.
Monaco would be France.
Warsaw with Russia.
Ragusa would be with Rome. Genoa/Florence probably would as well, only for the fact they are in Italy.
Seoul would be Japan probably.
Hanoi could be with Siam probably.
Lhasa with China.
Bucharest would be with the Ottomans, (it's in Romania).
Copenhagen would be with Gernamy. Oslo too I suppose, as there's simply no better choice. Is Stockholm in the game?
Acre & Sidon would be with the Arabians.
Almaty would go with Persia or India I suppose.

Is there a complete list of City states somewhere?

Since there's no Portugal or Spain to hand, perhaps Rio would go along with the Aztecs, if only by virtue of being South American? And Tyre is Lebanese - would that count for Arabia, Persia or Babylon?

Russia
- Warsaw
England
- Edinburgh
- Dublin
France
- Geneva
- Brussels
- Monaco
Rome
- Genoa
- Florence
- Ragusa
- Venice
Germany
- Copenhagen
- Oslo
- Vienna
- Stockholm
- Helsinki
- (Budapest [Austria])
Ottoman
- Bucharest
- Belgrade
- Budapest
Japan
- Seoul
Siam
- Hanoi
- Kuala Lumpur
- Singapore
China
- Lhasa
Persia/India
- Almaty
Rio de Janeiro
Cape Town
Arabia
- Tyre
- Sidon

Cape Town should go with England or the Songhai, Rio should be with the Aztecs I guess, Tyre and Sidon should be with Persia, and Seoul should be with China, but otherwise I agree with KievanRus.

Samarkand would be Persia,
Malacca would be Siamese,
Khotan would be Chinese,
Troy would be Greek,
Milan would be Roman,
Koumbi Saleh would be Songhai,
Anfa would be Arabian,
Macau would be Chinese,
Hong Kong would be Chinese.

If there is a Majapahit civs, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur would go with them.

I would consider Helsinki more closely related to Russia than Germany, since Finland was at one time a part of Imperial Russia. Helsinki isn't that far from St. Petersburg either.

I'd like to hear some reasoning why Helsinki, Stockholm and Oslo are listed under Germany. Copenhagen I can accept, as it is very close to Germany, but the others are really out of place.

I'd wait for the add-on that introduces Sweden to the game (it used to be a big player in Europe until they self-destructed their armies fighting futile battles and never recovered) and put all those cities under them.

Culturally Helsinki is very far from Russia, even if we Finns were at one time under Russian rule. We were never culturally overrun by them, though. Different language, different brand of Christianity, different genes, different culture.

Ah, and I must repeat my objection to Helsinki being in the game at all. It is a new city, whereas Turku is much more important historically, even if it is not the capital today.

Even though the Ottomans occupied Belgrade for 300+ years, Serbs are Slavs and ethnically and culturally more similar to Russia

I'd probably push Edinburgh into the German camp Civ too. The Scots language is germanic and the historic trade routes were across the North Sea to the Baltic cities. There is also a lot of cultural impact from Viking raids coming out of Scandanavia which you'd probably want to route back to the 'German' Civ.

Why does Seoul go with Japan? The city owns a Chinese name and Seoul is the Korean pronunciation of it. It should go with China.
And Almaty should go with Russia.

Cape Town should not be Songhai... AFRICA is kinda BIG. Cape Town should be Dutch or England.
Also I agree Seoul should go with China. Wasn't Korea a vassal state of the Mongols? or something like that.

Even though the Ottomans occupied Belgrade for 300+ years, Serbs are Slavs and ethnically and culturally more similar to Russia

That true, but Belgrade was for a long time both part of the Ottomans and Romans empires, but never part of Russian empire.

And it shouldn't really be looked from ethnic angle. For a long time it was just a Roman fort, not related to any slavic nation at all.

Thanks guys, the list has been deeply updated in the first post. Now there are modded City States already, borrowed from some great mods)

So Almaty should be with Russia? What should India get?
And the only reason Seoul is with Japan is because it would otherwise have none.
Should I take Lhasa out of China?

Also, I'd gladly take Oslo out of Germany, but couldn't France give Germany one of theirs, like Brussels? And then could Rome in turn offer one of theirs to France? I want to have three and only three on each Civ.

Some City States might not be a good fit for any existing Civ, they can be left as extra as long as each Civ gets it's fair share.
Kuala Lumpur
Singapore
Rio de Janeiro
Cape Town
Stockholm
Shiggs' Madrid
Shiggs' Sydney
Shiggs' Karakorum

You should really put Helsinki on this list as well. Finns are separate both from Germanic and Slavic "races". If we had Hungary in the game, Helsinki could go under that (long stretch, but better than the others).

Top Bottom