If you had to settle on a Resource...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Crimson13, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Crimson13

Crimson13 Prince

What Resource would you choose to settle on? You can pick both your Terrain and Resource.

I'm not asking this because I can't decide where to settle a city, don't be ridiculous. :shifty:

2. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

I usually avoid settling on top of resources (excluding strategics) unless it's a Gold/Silver/Gems.

3. tedoll78

tedoll78 aka 'HylianTom' :)

I'm not sure if this is optimal or not, but if it's early in the game and I'm racing the AI for a key wonder, settling on marble for instant access to the wonder production bonus can be pretty helpful.

4. Vexus

Vexus Chieftain

I'd settle on stone. You still get the bonus production, unlike most of the other resources you settle on.

5. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

A lux so you'd still get the gold. Hopefully you're settling on a hill, so that leaves things like silver/gold/gems/copper/marble. The marble is great to settle on as a capital. Plus the others are the early tech - mining, so on average as a capital the difference in time between unlocking the tech and improving the tile will be greater.

6. Vexus

Vexus Chieftain

I'd settle on stone. You still get the bonus production, unlike most of the other resources you settle on. Oh, and desert, for the faith bonus.

7. Hyperion529

Hyperion529 Prince

desert hill with a mining lux or marble is my favorite. gives extra gold and production and is also great for desert folklore/petra. i think gems give the most gold, but the marble wonder bonus is also nice. i don't actually know if this is still the case in BNW, but in G&K marble would give its bonus right from the start (without the masonry tech) if you settled on it. might have been changed though, as they also limited the bonus to ancient/classical wonders only

8. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

Riverside desert hill with Marble, next to a mountain would be awesome (even without the riverside gold, rivers are still better, as the city will later get boosted with the Hydro Plant, plus you can build Gardens and Water Mills). Yeah, you need an additional tech (Masonry) beyond Mining to get the happiness, but you get the Wonder production bonus immediately, which helps even with the NC. Plus, it obviously gets boosted with Desert Folklore and Petra.

9. Tiktaalik

Tiktaalik Chieftain

I am actually unclear what factors come into play when determining the tile yield of your city. Do all cities have a base tile yield that additional features (such as hill/river/marble) then cumulatively add upon? Does this output yield then increase based on additional technologies and buildings? Why does the capital always seem to have more gold output from the city tile compared with other cities?

10. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Capital has the palace, which includes a yield of 3 gold. For city yield generally, you can add displayed yields from tiles worked by citizens and the city center tile yield to get city yield that foots to what is shown when you mouse hover on the food/production/gold etc displays in city view.

11. eXeel

eXeel Chieftain

I actually always avoid settling on resources since I thought they would disappear. What is lost by doing it, do you get full advantage or are there a rule that tells what you lose compared to setting next to working it...

12. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

When you settle on a luxury or strategic resource, the resource is connected to your trade network when you research the required tech (e.g., Calendar for silk, Mining for gems, etc.), whereupon it provides the same happiness as if it were improved and can be traded like any other resource. You only get the unimproved resource yield from that tile, not the as-if-improved yield (i.e., you don't get quarry yield when you settle on marble, or plantation yield when you settle on cotton, etc.).

13. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

I fooled around with it once, and it looks like the city automatically changes the tile to 2 food if it has less, and it gives +1 production if the production is less than 2. You get the happiness if it is a luxury once you get the tech. But you can never get the bonus from building the improvement. I like to build on a hill resource that gives gold on a river next to a mountain and on the coast.

14. kojax

kojax Chieftain

I often settle on Iron, especially if I'm in a hurry to get some swords out. I think you still get the production bonus, and you can still build a forge.

I try very hard to make sure my army building city has a forge in it.

15. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Grassland marble hill as France or Egypt and I might consider building the great library...