[GS] If you have limited expansion opportunities, how do you maximise 3 or 4 cities for a medieval push?

Stacked_Deck

Chieftain
Obviously expansion is king, and games where I can expand with horsemen/swordsmen, or spawn right on top of an AI so I can Archer rush, tend to be the easiest games.

However, when I'm boxed in with no good options for classical warfare I try to grow vertically and try for a Pike and crossbow army. But my science isn't great getting there, in part due to raw science output and less opportunities for boosts. Then actually getting an army out is painful due to less cities to produce from and less gold to upgrade spearmen and archers. I don't mind using pikes and xbows, I've just had a Gorgo campaign where I used mostly anticav, but the timing window is smaller than with other unit types.

So, how do you maximise the output from a few cities to stay competitive with Deity AI?

I guess you would have to grow as tall as you can.
That means focusing on food and farms, wonders that gives food and housing (artemis, hanging gardens), governors, cards which give you amenities (to reach exctatic) and housing, an army of builders to get the best of your tiles and try to get as far as you can in culture and science before focusing military.

Use Pingala. playing OCC now, i went first for state workforce, got culture on pingala, then researched foreign trade and early empire in 4 turns or so to get science as well. Pingala singlehandedly takes care of my culture and science needs.
You could also choose to take only science on pingala and another gov with the third promotion. Culture is really nice too though. You may even wait until mercenaries before going to war.

Also realise you don't need to outresearch the AI. You don't need to be ahead in military tech when fighting, you just dont want to be behind. Even if your research is half the AI's, your xbows should have ample opportunity to do some conquering againt the AI's medieval army before he gets renaissance units.

Last edited:
So going OCC or a 2 to 3 City game is Viable on Deity, Standard, Standard settings on Pangaea or Continents?
What is the general game plan if you can only get 1, 2 or 3 cities total?
Play Friendly abusing Trade till you can attack?
I am basically asking for a general strategy when you are boxed in that would work with the worst Civs.
If it has already been discussed I would appreciate a link on the subject.

Play Friendly abusing Trade till you can attack?
The first 2 bits of the sentence are correct, the third not so much.
Potato Mc whiskey has a YouTube deity SV OCC done not long ago.
There is luck involved, 3 cities reduces this a bit but an OCC is by no means guaranteed.
There is an OCC thread in the tips and tricks forum but it does not go deeply into strategy.

"I am basically asking for a general strategy when you are boxed in that would work with the worst Civs."

I assume that means you are not limiting yourself to 1 or 3 cities. You want to conquer some from your neighbours ?
Then i would think that third part of the statement quoted by victoria does indeed fit as well. It's not like trying to win the game on 3 cities is going to be easier than conquering more cities from only 1-3 self built cities. But it's good to be aware that not all is lost if you cant get more cities in the first 50 or even 100 turns.

Last edited:
"I am basically asking for a general strategy when you are boxed in that would work with the worst Civs."

I assume that means you are not limiting yourself to 1 or 3 cities. You want to conquer some from your neighbours ?
Then i would think that third part of the statement quoted by victoria does indeed fit as well. It's not like trying to win the game on 3 cities is going to be easier than conquering more cities from only 1-3 self built cities. But it's good to be aware that not all is lost if you cant get more cities in the first 50 or even 100 turns.

Yes... that is what I was asking as well.
I swear some games I play I have water to the direct north and boxed in from a mountain to the West.
Two direct neighbors just dropping cities on top of me but I always plan to fight my way out eventually.
I have said this before and I think many players who are doing amazing things are playing easier maps/land.
Although I have posted maps before and seen players do some awesome things.
Many times they will forward settle the AI and barely hold onto the expo with just 2 or 3 units.
Usually when I do that it is game, set, and match unless I have a larger Army.
I know that I am just doing it wrong.
Not chopping the right things at the right time etc etc etc.
Oh well like @Victoria says it isn't always about trying to be Super Fast or Optimal but enjoying the game the way you want to enjoy it.
I do think it is very true that making less optimal choices can cost you 30 to 100 turns in your finish time.
I swear one of my problems is hard building so many things... I do it all the time and I know it has to be wrong.

Yes... that is what I was asking as well.
Well some standard things are defensive fighting, wearing down individual units, distraction, targeting choices and even sacrifice. I dunno about how well you utilise these military bits.
Baiting is a classic that works well at the moment individually but has most of the time worked well against civs. Bringing them to your battle ground, wearing them out then retaliating.
Diplomacy in a boxed situation can be quite key, finding friends, joint warring, bribing enemies. Is it those sort of tactics?
There is a lot of ways out. You can beat a civ, even 2 at the same military level, it’s about dealing with the rest to keep them at bay.

Well some standard things are defensive fighting, wearing down individual units, distraction, targeting choices and even sacrifice. I dunno about how well you utilise these military bits.
Baiting is a classic that works well at the moment individually but has most of the time worked well against civs. Bringing them to your battle ground, wearing them out then retaliating.
Diplomacy in a boxed situation can be quite key, finding friends, joint warring, bribing enemies. Is it those sort of tactics?
There is a lot of ways out. You can beat a civ, even 2 at the same military level, it’s about dealing with the rest to keep them at bay.

Funny thing is that I know all of this but when I get in the game I seem to forget about a lot of it.
I guess I just panic or something.
So are you able to bait units out of cities with builders again?
I remember that was fixed or felt like it was for awhile when I was playing last year.
I think as always I am flawed with my execution and lack of respect for the AI.

Currently I am at turn 159 in my Tommy Game and its kinda ugly.
Dark Age... not playing well... razed a city... just took the Capital but should of waited and took their Colosseum City at the same time.
Cap is gonna flip in 3 turns... whatever... I think I win unless Korea blasts off into space.
They don't seem to be teching like mad at the moment... around 120spt.
My last couple of games is an issue with Oil... I swear I can't get Oil.
Do they have a Wonder that gives you endless supplies of Oil, Coal and other stuff :)

Should of just attacked the Holy Land but you know everyone would of hated me if I took over Jerusalem!
The truth is I am just lazy... still haven't built an encampment... lol... I'm like I'm Tommy I don't need no stinking Great Generals or Encampments.
*sarcasm and or irony*

Spoiler Capital 159 :

Empire 159.jpg

Spoiler St Peter 159 :

Peter 159.jpg

Last edited:
One possibility is, the room you think you have for 3-4 cities is in fact room for 5-6 cities. Squish in more.

A GG for your bombards would turn the game around.

@Victoria
I managed to get the Pyramids and the Colosseum since Russia built them :)

I agree but I did it without one so far lol... stubborn.
At least I have a Scientist running around on the battlefield lol.
I was buying and upgrading and didn't want to spend the faith or gold on the GG.
Killed Russia and gonna have to kill everyone.
Russia had all the Oil so at least I have that this game.
I waste too much time taking all cities.
Korea starting to tech up... anyways... Knights on now and it's 1-1 against the Ducks.
I live in Vegas soooo you know.

Spoiler turn 189 Russia Defeated :

Turn 189.jpg

One possibility is, the room you think you have for 3-4 cities is in fact room for 5-6 cities. Squish in more.

You have a great point... wish I could make it happen in my games.
I'll keep trying to get those settlers out :)

... anyways... Knights on now and it's 1-1 against the Ducks.
I live in Vegas soooo you know:)

I saw that hit on Pavelski last year in the playoffs. That was an amazing Game 7. That will be on my highlight list of hockey for all time.

1. Skip the Government building. Don't bother upgrading it. Maybe get the district for the +1 adjacency (as it's cheap).
2. Focus on getting out money and just enough research and culture to get Stirrups and Mercenaries in time. Maybe 1-2 campuses. Don't bother with library.
3. Emphasize monuments! The main roadblock is getting Mercenary in time.
4. Spam archers/chariots/warriors with the policy cards. Use unit maintenance reduction card for more money. That's the other major roadblock.
5. Get a few commerce sites and trade for money. Save iron/horse.
6. Upgrade all units at same time.
7. Push.

Top Bottom