1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were running for president...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, May 5, 2010.

1. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Well, that's good for you, but what about all your fellow buddies in a hypothetical union of big/blue states? :p

Well it is certainly fair enough.

Regardless, I'm still certain that if half/two-thirds of the country broke away, it would hurt both sides. For one, you'd end up losing a lot of freedom of movement via the highway system and the border controls that would divide it. Not to mention, military hardware would be stranded throughout the seceding states, from what I've heard.

I'm sure it'd hurt the seceding regions as well, which brings me to my conclusion that, again, it's best we all stay together. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact statistics to gauge the exact value of each of the states.

All this has done is encourage me to think of ways to re-balance the system so all the states are interdependent.

2. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

Mine is sort of a two parter that goes hand in hand, so here goes:

1. Put in a law, requiring large stores which use shopping carts to have cart return locations every so many parking spots so as to make it easy and feasible to return carts after shopping and returning to the parking lot to your car.

2. Position snipers atop large shopping stores (like Wal-Mart, Meijer, Kroger, Best Buy, etc.) which will be on the look out for people that are too lazy to return their carts to the cart return location. Immediately execute anyone who fails to return their shopping cart.

I think with that alone, ridding the world of the lazy a-holes to leave carts in the middle of parking spots or resting against the car next to theirs while they happily drive off without a car would be a major step towards cleaning up any country and garnishing world peace. But thats just my opinion.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

free college level education for everyone that is qualified. note I said qualified, not everyone who wants it. We need to encourage people to study and do well in school, and I would raise qualification standards for public colleges. We'd have to raise taxes to pay for this of course. It would be difficult to convince the population (especially old fogies that don't care about kids) that it's in their best interest to have an educated youth. But I wouldn't have to raise taxes if I could do #2 below.

my second issue would be reducing taxes and the size of the federal government. this seems contradictory to #1. But I'm not some whacko libertarian who thinks all goverment spending aside from defense is bad. It is in a society's best interest to have an educated population. It's why we have public schools after all. You don't see anyone wanting to get rid of those, do you? Why? Because we need educated people to run this country. It's almost a national security issue to ensure the youth of today can run the country of tomorrow. I'd get rid of welfare and other useless federal aid programs. I'd cut defense spending in half, and have the UN shoulder most of the "peacekeeping" role with less responsibility and expectations of the U.S. to be the world's police.

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

3. Open a second hand car shop next to each large store.
    4. Profit!