If you were to write historical-fiction

I was about to say An Lushan rebellion or WWI but then I saw who started this thread. Now I think I'd write something about the Catalan Vengeance and the once glorious Frankish Tower of the Acropolis that those dirty athenians demolished back in the 1920's just because they were running out of stuff to build houses for the even dirtier smyrnans.

He's not from Athens and doesn't like it very much. Not a very good troll. :p

Well, then I think I'd write a novel praising the greatest thessalonikan of them all

Spoiler :

ATATÜRK 4EVER!!

16th century Ireland. Europe's greezy frontier. I once had an idea for a gothic horror story orbiting around Gaelic vampires set around Hugh O'Neils rebellion.

A Bavarian knight with torn loyalties during the Investiture Controversy.

If you were to write historical-fiction which era would you choose?

Sometimes i tried writing a piece about the Franco-Prussian war, and researched it to a degree. But it never got completed.

Also one short story i did complete was set in 19th century France, although the main character was a Greek immigrant. The narrator was French though, and the story was about a peculiar incident on a whaling ship.

ps: I know this is also about literature, but it focuses on history; it is a bit like asking which historical era is one's favourite, although the question is sufficiently different than that so as to warrant its own form :)

Ummm.. The American Civil War, and The Cold War.

I also forgot to mention the most obvious and easy answer: The American Old West. It never gets old.

bombshoo, I have this urge to stab you right now

Pre-Christian Russia.

Spoiler :

Early 80s cold war.

There's already a godless amount of them. But if you manage to avoid cliches and stereotypes, this might end up as something interesting indeed.

Maybe a story set in Ancient Egypt when the Hyksos ruled parts of it. The Amarna period is interesting but there are already a thousand books set in that area.

A protodynastic story might also be interesting.

I am considering writing a WWII novel, about a German soldier who progresses up the ranks and seems a good soldier, until ... you know ... discovers the truth ... about the regime he is trying to save.

I am considering writing a WWII novel, about a German soldier who progresses up the ranks and seems a good soldier, until ... you know ... discovers the truth ... about the regime he is trying to save.

Everybody knew the truth about Germany. Maybe not everyone was aware of the Final Solution, but the rabid antisemitism and imperialism was pretty clear.

I know that ... the truth I am talking about is the Final Solution.

Good luck writing Historical Fiction about a society we know virtually nothing about.

Good luck writing Historical Fiction about a society we know virtually nothing about.

No so historical fiction will it be then.

They are legendary, after all, we can't be sure they existed at all.

No so historical fiction will it be then.

They are legendary, after all, we can't be sure they existed at all.
Oh, sometimes that term is used from Pre-Celtic Ireland. If we're going with the legends of the Tuatha, I'm going with the Hyborian Age.

bombshoo, I have this urge to stab you right now

I love Westerns. Sure there has been plenty of bad ones and it isn't original, but that isn't a sign of the genre itself sucking.

Top Bottom