1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were to write historical-fiction

Discussion in 'World History' started by Kyriakos, May 26, 2011.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

No, no, I want to stab you over the pun. The Old West "never gets old"?

2. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

*slow clap*

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

So it would be like Fatherland, then?

4. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

I want it to be more about tank battles as the focus. The Final solution will be like a last chapter turning point.

5. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

I'd write a book on Carrhae. Nothing quite like horse archers and cataphracts wtfpwning a Roman legion.

6. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

It can't get old if it's already old, can it? Nonetheless, I salute your noble battle against puns, the greatest threat to civilized society since Crocs.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Squeezing the actual dramatic conflict into the last chapter while the rest is only awesome tank battles might be a bad idea from a storytelling perspective.

8. kiwitt

Well there will be also other discoveries along the way ... like if he wants to be able to use the latest tanks he has to move from the Wehrmacht to the SS. and other things like that. That will be a conflict in itself.

I just want to write a book from the German perspective.

9. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Have you read Curzio Malaparte's (aka Kurt Erich Suckert) "Kaputt" (published in 1944)?

It's written like a purely journalistic product, but Malaparte always lied through his teeth, so it's really a novel of his experiences of the eastern front as an official Italian war correspondent. Definetly interesting, and written from the German/Italian side.

It's kind of interesting from a Swede's perspective too, as Malaparte's thesis about Nazism is pretty much that the Germans have gone mad with fear. He then uses encounters with Swedes and Sweden as a counter example of Germanic nation not gone insame in that manner.

The chapter from the Finnish front is bloody brilliant - a vision of a river of dead frozen horses, scared into the drink by gunfire, and then frozen as they struggled - a truly weird story about a "ghost" in Helsinki - and the story of a German general going fishing in northern Finland, as a kind of parable for everything gone wrong with Nazi Germany.

The chapter from a dinner with Nazi Strong Man in Poland Joseph Frank is effing surreal, ending with the hunting of Jewish children for sport in central Warsaw.

10. kiwitt

Yeah I am going to have to read a lot of related fiction as well. I'll add that to the list

11. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

I didn't even realize I did that. :lol:

12. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Something set during the War of the Roses or maybe during the reign of Charles V & I. I've always had a fondness for 15th Century Burgundy (before the disastrous tangle in Switzerland, obviously).

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yeah, Valois Burgundy is also one of my favorites during that period.

14. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

You could have novels about the founding of every Western state! :)

Plus tales of 49ers! And Pancho Villa.

15. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

For about twenty years now, I've wanted to write a story about what the Stalin-era Cold War would've been like if Seward never bought Alaska. Unfortunately, I finish stories about as well as I finish games of Civ. :undecide:

16. holy king

holy king Deity

wait, you guys think there's not evough ww2 novels from german perspective?

17. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Warlord

But mine's got the p.o.v. character's tank platoon being attacked by Indiana Jones riding Baba Yaga's chicken-legged hut and wielding Durendal!

18. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

You know, I've also contemplated writing some story where Andrew Jackson eventually declares himself Emperor of the United States and plots a third Anglo-American war in order to annex Canada. The whole concept of it is rather stupid, though.

19. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Part of your nefarious plot to further undermine the concept of alternate history by writing stupid alternate history, no doubt. :p

I have to say that writing althistorical fiction is much more fun than writing historical fiction, at least in my own experience.

20. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Alt-history fiction isn't any worse than your average sci-fi; if you can suspend your disbelief for the moment and let the author have his way, then imaginary elements (when compounded with good writing and ideas) can result in good stories.

I just hate when people pretend that alt-history can be meaningful to the subject of history itself. Especially the really stupid scenarios like "what if the Roman Empire survived to this day?"