1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If your life depended on it...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Turnquest, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Turnquest

Turnquest Chieftain

If you were to play a game of civ, and your life truly depended on you winning, which civ/leader would you choose? Deity, marathon, huge shuffle map, 20 civs, 18 CS, random resources, standard start position. All DLC included, no mods, no special game modes, no reloads, all win conditions enabled.

It would be interesting to know what civs and strategies you would use to achieve not the fastest, but the ”safest” and most risk-free win.

PiR, canadamufc and Hawke9 like this.
  2. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Canada, as you are safe from surprise DoWs of the AIs...my reasoning it that I first need to survive at all, before I can think about winning ;)

PiR, Stilgar08, Banazir864 and 4 others like this.
  3. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Tietäjä

Maori, they are so far the only civ I managed to beat deaty with.

4. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

Honestly on those settings I'm probably done for. :eek:

So might as well have some fun before I go, right? Marathon/huge if I do a lot of warfare the game could drag on interminably, delaying the inevitable. I think I should choose Gran Columbia then, so no matter what I can always move faster and if I can't compete for a GG then at least I have my CG's

PiR likes this.
  5. LMT

LMT Warlord

I don't think I've ever played on those settings, so it wouldn't look good for me. Maybe Arabia (to ensure a religion) or Russia (for faith production and overall strength) and go for a Religious Victory.

Or as others have said, Maybe Canada (to ensure survival) or Maori (in case I get an islands map). For Maori, I'd try for an early Diplo Victory. Not sure about Canada.

I'd forget about a Science Victory since solar flares are so detrimental, though comet strikes could be helpful and the AI can't seem to deal with them. Cultural Victory always takes me too long and I'm not an expert at it. I never go for Domination, so forget that.

Religious or Diplomatic would be the safest for me and I'd try to go for both simultaneously.

PiR and Banazir864 like this.
  6. Vargas1

Vargas1 Prince

Australia and science victory. With that many civs I think the need to spread culture/religion would take too long, and conquering everyone would be unmanageable. So I’d take science over other win conditions. Then I’d take Australia because they are the most adaptable of the best science civs (more so than Korea or Inca), plus can pump out good culture and faith with their adjacency bonuses if they need to prevent others from winning. Finally, the production bonus from getting declared on helps me stay alive in the early game.

Of course, I play on Switch, so for me it’s all a moot point, since with a game this size I would be dead of old age long before it would finish anyway...

Mr. Salt likes this.
  7. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

With shuffle map i'm tempted to take Victoria just because Harbors are useful on any map. I think i would just go with Gilgamesh or Rough Rider Teddy just because they are best against the early rush. My favorite civ is Norway but would not take them because there style makes games play out differently every time.

As a laptop player i understand completely.

8. Leah and Rachael

Leah and Rachael Chieftain

My first thought was definitely Russia. You have options for Religion and Culture, and your start bias puts you in a region where competitors would struggle but you thrive.

Second option is Canada. That surprise war thing is amazing for survival.

To round up the top three, it would have to be a civ with a strong early unique unit. Gilgamesh, definitely. The fast, cheap, and the strongest ancient era unit.

If I had to pick one, it would be Russia. Of the three, two offer excellent defense (and a great counter), but only Russia would actually help me win

9. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Netherlands, to guarantee I'd not have to deal with Wilhelmina's constant whining before I die.

PiR, topsecret, Depravo and 2 others like this.
  10. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    Vietnam, so that I don't die from early war. Then I'll just go for a culture victory.

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I'll surprise a little here I think and say Cree. I can't pinpoint exactly why, but Cree is the civ that has given me the most solid games every time I've played them. Probably something to do with the way I play... Otherwise, I'd take Pericles and gun for culture victory, but I'd be more nervous, because that's more of a one trick wonder !

12. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Bingo - the only way I'm likely to lose is if the AI declares an early war on me, and with Canada that's not a concern. I can build my way to victory over the rest of the game as long as I'm still in it.

Outside of Canada I might choose someone like Nubia (OP pitati archers), Sumeria (war-carts and early science+culture), or BM Teddy (+5 CS bonus and culture+science from appeal). Australia and Korea would be tempting but you'd still be chancing an early war declaration from the AI.

PiR likes this.
  13. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I think I'd rather die than play a game on marathon speed.

14. Turnquest

Turnquest Chieftain

Thanks for some interesting input. As a player who only wins sporadically on deity, I would probably go for Canada as well to make sure I survive the early game. Not sure however how I would finish the game though, as Canada leaves a lot to be desired in other areas.

Vietnam would be an interesting choice as well, but I haven’t gotten around to trying them out yet.

Anyway, I might actually try a game with Canada with these settings. There is of course the obvious risk of dying from boredom long before I finish the game, so if you never hear from me again you know what happened...

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Never played Deity so like many said probably Canada, just for survival, though the tundra start could be difficult.

Australia possibly too considering you'd get boosts on production every time a war is declared upon you.

16. canadamufc

canadamufc Chieftain

Probably Australia as it has a safety net vs the AI. Then I would just ride those campus bonuses to a science victory probably.

17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Have to think that surviving the early game is the most crucial, so I think would definitely need to choose one of the civs with an early combat bonus. I like the suggestion above of Vietman - you have a huge safety net of combat bonuses early to help you, and then you can churn out free cheap encampments. Although if your life depended on it, you still run a risk of getting really screwed if you end up in a plains area without anywhere to put your districts.

Aztecs would be another good choice. I think the power of those early Eagles means you are guaranteed a strong unit. I worry about civs like Canada, Nubia, Russia with start biases throwing you into a completely inhospitable region.

tedhebert likes this.
  18. bman65

bman65 Chieftain

Just tried to generate this scenario a few times and here is what I found:

You will auto lose some starts if an enemy spawns too close (with 20 civs that is a major problem) as you will lose your capital to warrior rush or loyalty before you can build a second unit on marathon speed.
    Canada will buy you five turns, but at deity level AI can denounce you shortly after meeting you and 5 turns on marathon doesn't buy much time.

Assuming you don't auto-lose you will need to probably conquer an AI or two early as with space being that cramped you aren't going to be settling your own cities. Realistically you need an ancient era UU to be able to do this without getting a lucky start (ie. spice tiles to work, a spawn behind several CS or Gilgabro, or somehow getting your own island). After the conquering the first couple AI you should have enough to be able to abuse the AI in war, particularly as it is marathon speed and that can't out tech your units that quickly, and win however you wish.

I'd say Aztec probably gives you the best chance here. Your starting eagle warrior may literally be the only thing preventing you from being run over by the AI, and if you can build the second you are probably safe from early conquest. Get the third and you can probably start fighting back, especially if you can get them to get you builders which can upgrade an early lux or two with a camp or mine.

Alternatively you could go Maori, hide in a friendly city state in a corner and hope to cheese a DV.

19. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

I dunno about the Aztec. More expensive warriors hurts as much as having them be a little stronger helps, IMO. As for the bad starting biases... nobody ever said you had to settle there.

This is how it's *supposed* to work, but in practice that's not how it *actually* works. I did a lot of testing a few months back and the AI simply does not declare war on Canada - you can forward settle your opponents, denounce them as soon as you meet them, and not train a single unit and they won't declare war on you. You are completely immune to war declarations.

Admittedly, the last time I really tested this was a few patches ago so I will happily throw out the caveat that this may have been changed in a recent patch but I'm not sure. I should probably put it to the test again.

20. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

If my life depended on it?
    I would try to get a gun to escape from this misery because I could never ever win on deity.
    (Otherwise I would choose Russia for a little chance to win with culture on level emperor.)

Leah and Rachael likes this.