If your life depended on it...

Get that silly mod of Gabe Newell Civ leader and cheat my way through. Because I'm not great at Civ.

Seriously though, probably Mani Musa for the gold spam or someone like Alexander where I snowball through military.

Admittedly, the last time I really tested this was a few patches ago so I will happily throw out the caveat that this may have been changed in a recent patch but I'm not sure. I should probably put it to the test again.

I had some time to kill so I went ahead and ran a quick test of my own (deity difficulty, standard size, terra map just to ensure the AI would be close by). Here's how that went:
1) Trained a slinger. This would literally be the only unit I trained (and I didn't buy any with gold either).
2) Met Cleopatra on turn 6. Instantly denounced her.
3) Ottawa reaches population size of 2. Start training a settler.
4) Met Hammurabi on turn 12. Instantly denounced him.
5) Settler finished, I send him to forward settle Cleo. I forward settle her to that point that loyalty would be an issue if I hadn't found a governor title from a goody hut. She is not happy about this.
6) Ottawa starts building a holy site. Already purchased a monument there with the gold I'm not spending on units.
7) I accumulate enough faith to get a pantheon - "dance of the aurora" is still there!
8) Make ridiculous demands of Cleopatra. Why not?
9) Holy Site finishes, time to spam prayer projects.
10) Denounce Cleopatra again.
11) Denounce Hammurabi again.
12) Purchase a monument in Toronto with all that gold I'm not spending on units.
13) Ancient Era ends, still no declarations of war.
14) Popped a great prophet to claim the second religion. Had the choice between Work Ethic (to pair with Aurora pantheon) or Choral Music. Nice!
15) Figured that was enough, logged out satisfied with results.

It sure seems to me like the AI still won't declare war on Wilfrid no matter how much you egg them on. I feel very confident based on a ton of games played over the years that with any other leader the AI would've come after me, but not with Wilfrid. Granted this was just one test but I've had similar results in the past as well. If someone can show me definitive proof of an AI declaring war on Canada - not pulling them in by declaring on an ally, not pulling them in through emergencies, but actually declaring war on Canada straight up - I'd love to see it.

This is why I've always argued Canada is underrated. There's a lot you can do in the early game if you go into it knowing that you don't have to waste time or gold training units. The perception is their bonuses come too late - this is a huge bonus you get right at the start of the game!

You can also pray to the RNG gods that you get the following. I instantly DoW'ed Robert, settled Paris (must DoW before settling as otherwise it pushes the settler outside your capture range), and took his settler eliminating him. Now should be relatively easy for a deity game. I guess this what they mean by keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 68
Japan,
good chance of getting a religion which is the obvious choice for a faster safer win but still got great flexibility should that not work out.
I think an RV is the only Marathon I'd be happy playing having played 3 marathons to coompletion.
Pretty much stopped playing though. Sick of the horsehockey bugs like pathing and border expulsions amongst many others.
I just beat the crap out of someone and a key fighter get sent somewhere just insanely stupid.

Well, the highest difficulty I've played on is Warlord so I'd likely be toast. But I'd probably go for Vietnam and turtle hard.

I would write my will.

I’m going to say the meme machine that is Babylon.
Hopefully I can cruise my way to a science victory 600 turns before anyone else has gunpowder. Just have to hope my bad warriors can last long enough to snowball the eurekas.

Reactions: PiR
You said huge map 20 civs, so the game will be far more crowded than usual (normal would be 12 civs). So I think survival is a more important consideration than usual... so I think I'd go with someone like Nubia who can pump out TONS of archers quickly to ping off enemy invaders with. Plus Nubia can build districts faster as well, so that'l help you actually win and not just survive.

Also tempted to say Korea. They have a hill start bias which is hard to invade and they're a science monster, and their unique unit (while sorta late) is very good defensively. Babylon is also a good option; if you have a decent source of gold, you can get some crossbowmen out quite quickly (via upgrade slingers and archers)

Hard choice since I don't feel guaranteed I would win for certain with any leaders but I am tempted to Say Mansa Musa. If I can just get the defense up I could buy myself to victory.

Ambiorix/ Gauls, as it is the only civ with which I won a game on those settings (deity / marathon / huge map), albeit with the default number of civs for that setting (12).

Ambiorix gets that initial powerful warrior to start with, culture bombs with mines and progresses rapidly through the civic tree by producing military: great for starting the game. After, production and culture from all them mines plus the oppidum gets you going...

Ambiorix/ Gauls, as it is the only civ with which I won a game on those settings (deity / marathon / huge map), albeit with the default number of civs for that setting (12).

Ambiorix gets that initial powerful warrior to start with, culture bombs with mines and progresses rapidly through the civic tree by producing military: great for starting the game. After, production and culture from all them mines plus the oppidum gets you going...
Don't you mean Vitalstatistix?

On another note, either Nubia, Bull Moose Teddy, or Canada could be my choice.

Australia is probably the safest bet. The 100% production bonus if anyone DOW’s means you can get archers when you need them. They can skyrocket past everyone in science early, and then have untouchable production and food when they get outback stations.

Canada is semi-immune to war, but it only applies to surprise wars (while very, very unlikely, it’s not impossible for the AI to use formal war). But they might struggle to win first though on marathon it shouldn’t be a problem).

Sumeria, Maya, and Nubia are also very safe bets. I’d probably put Maya highest of those. Nubia has the greatest risk if you aren’t conquering.

I’d probably put Maya highest of those.

Maya did occur to me but they would be way too map dependent for me to feel all that comfortable with them. Maybe you get a wide chunk of land with a ton of plantation resources and you can turtle while you tech your way to victory... or maybe you spawn on a skinny penninsula with only mined luxuries around you. I wouldn't bet my life on them.

Hard choice since I don't feel guaranteed I would win for certain with any leaders but I am tempted to Say Mansa Musa. If I can just get the defense up I could buy myself to victory.

NOT Mansa. Anyone but Mansa. The production penalty to units is murder. You won't get defenses up in time.

I've played a fair bit of Deity marathon. The slower speed gives the AI three times as many turns to decide to attack you, then walk over and do it, before you can build the first unit or two to defend yourself. Marathon favors the offense. I always build a warrior first. Scout and slinger are just too weak. If anyone finds my capital early, the starting warrior has to circle back, to fend off 4 or 5 attackers with 2 defenders.

Georgia.

I'm going to lose, I already know it. So if I'm going to go out, I'm going to go out on my own terms.

Top Bottom