If you're having problems launching WorldBuilder...

dshirk

Firaxian
Due to a recent patch in Steam, WorldBuilder is having problems launching an internal instance of Civ5 and thus resulting in an "infinite hang". We are currently working on an update that will fix this.

Temporary workaround:

1) Open the Civilization V SDK entry from within Steam. This will display the Launcher which allows you to choose between ModBuddy, WorldBuilder, the Tuner etc.

2) Right click anywhere on the launcher and select "Create Desktop Shortcut to WorldBuilder". This will create a shortcut on your desktop that goes directly to WorldBuilder.

*Here's where the work around starts*

3) Locate the WorldBuilder desktop shortcut and right click on it, then select Properties.

4) Select the "Shortcut Tab".

5) Where it says Target:, Add just after the last " -PromptForGamePath.
Your target should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK\WorldBuilder\x86\WorldBuilder.exe" -PromptForGamePath

*NOTE that -PromptForGamePath happens AFTER the quotation mark.

6) Launch the Shortcut. This will bring up a new dialog asking if you'd like to manually select a Civ5 exe. Say Yes.

7) Navigate to where your Civ5 exe is stored.
For me, it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV.exe

Hit OK!

8) You will notice the Civ5 Launcher comes up.. Select the DX9 version of Civ.

9) Everything should be good to go!

Again, this is a temporary workaround! We're working on the problem now.

Moderator Action: thread stickied until the final fix is released, thanks

edit:

Two other workaround have been listed in this post, the first one is working for me.

Moderator Action: thread stickied until the final fix is released, thanks

edit:

Two other workaround have been listed in this post, the first one is working for me.

the 2nd one in Jabberwock's post worked fine for me. I use win7 and it was quite simple effort-wise. thanks.

Still having to use this workaround after the March 13th update that claims it fixes this. :(

Still having to use this workaround after the March 13th update that claims it fixes this. :(

So do I. Now receiving the follow error message:

Application: World Builder
User: Unkown (Not an in-house user.)
Time: Thursday 14/03/2013 08:41:12

Runtime: 32 bit
Machine: USER-PC

Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Source: System
Thread: Main Thread
Description: Somente uma parte de um pedido ReadProcessMemory ou WriteProcessMemory foi concluída

Stack Trace:
em System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetModuleInfos(Int32 processId, Boolean firstModuleOnly)
em System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetFirstModuleInfo(Int32 processId)
em System.Diagnostics.Process.get_MainModule()
em WorldBuilder.Program.InitNexusFramework(String sGamePath)
em WorldBuilder.MainForm.MainForm_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
em System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
em System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
em System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
em System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

had the same error
reboot your pc and try it again.

I had to open steam, and then open world builder. but it opens now.

after trying to boot WB and getting the error msgs i had to go into task manager to end some steam processes that werent showing in the active programs list. i couldnt even shut my comp down til i manually forced the process closed. quite frustrating. but the workaround still works for me.

worked a couple of times for me. now it is saying I am not a steam member

Time: Sunday 3/17/2013 4:53:24 PM

Machine: RICK-PC

Description: Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed

Stack Trace:
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetModuleInfos(Int32 processId, Boolean firstModuleOnly)
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetFirstModuleInfo(Int32 processId)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_MainModule()
at WorldBuilder.Program.InitNexusFramework(String sGamePath)
at WorldBuilder.MainForm.MainForm_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

Time: Sunday 3/17/2013 4:53:24 PM

Machine: RICK-PC

Description: Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed

Stack Trace:
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetModuleInfos(Int32 processId, Boolean firstModuleOnly)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

I'm having the same problem. The work-around was working for me a week or two ago, and it worked for me once yesterday, but now I get the error message. I have tried all the above fixes to no avail. Perhaps the solution is to never buy games that use Steam. It sucks.

Since the last patch, it should be working without any workaround.

no, it's just saying that you are not working for Firaxis :D

"should" being the bigger determinant. still not working for me. still having to find and end with a forced shut down in task manager the process associated with steam. after 'exiting' the game im not actually exited.

Time: Monday 3/18/2013 1:01:40 PM

Machine: PC-01

User Comments:
fresh computer start > open steam > library > tools > SDK > WB > error report. using win7.

Stack Trace:

Have you tried to verify the integrity of the tool cache using steam (Library -> tools -> r-click Civ5 SDK -> property -> Local Files tab -> Verify integrity) ?

We have seen this error before, but only when another thread was already running (like the game, or the launcher). I'll have Shaun take a look and see if what might be causing this.

I'm not getting any error message it just sits there indefinitely. It doesn't lock up or anything, and there's almost no HDD activity.

If I launch World Builder using the workaround shortcut, I can immediately hear lots of HDD activity and within 15 or so seconds it loads.

I thought it might be related to the \dx11 argument (to bypass the selection pop-up and just launch the game in DX11) I have in my Steam profile for the game, but even with it removed it still behaves the same.

The work around in the OP doesn't work for me (Windows 8). After following all the steps, it still says that Civ V is running please close it down and retry. The Task Manager doesn't show it to be running, nor any Steam application.

The other two linked to work arounds from Gedemon in the second post are no longer relevant for me; the World Builder doesn't even get into the locked state anymore and Task Manager shows no other Civ V activity.

Looking forward to this being fixed soon.

The work around in the OP doesn't work for me (Windows 8). After following all the steps, it still says that Civ V is running please close it down and retry. The Task Manager doesn't show it to be running, nor any Steam application.

The other two linked to work arounds from Gedemon in the second post are no longer relevant for me; the World Builder doesn't even get into the locked state anymore and Task Manager shows no other Civ V activity.

Looking forward to this being fixed soon.

i did find Steam's .exe listed in Processes but not Applications when I opened Task Manager but that was only once after exiting Steam when I got the WorldBuilder error msg. 2 other times I couldnt find it in Processes either. I use Win7 though so my process list will be somewhat different.

Top Bottom