1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IGN Article" How Civ6 will redefine art design"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, May 13, 2016.

1. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Moving to a cleaner art style makes a lot of sense. Clarity is the most important function of the graphics in a strategy game, after all. That said, the colors and proportions aren't exactly what I would have gone with - but then again, I think 2D is probably the best fit of all for a 4X game!

- Jon

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I'll say this for it -- it's certainly readable and clear.

3. Westwall

Westwall Chieftain

Need to see actual gameplay footage.

Complete with zooming in and out.

4. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Day/night cycle will also come into play. All the various elements would have to be readable under all lighting conditions.

5. Haig

Haig Warlord

The burning ruins of Alexander's districts are all the light you need when it's nighttime. :c5razing: :c5razing: :c5razing:

6. Westwall

Westwall Chieftain

Wonder what the customization options will be.

Imagine games that takes place in perpetual twilight.

Spoiler :

7. dexters

Was it confirmed that players have the option to set the time of day, and or go with a 3 min day /night ?

edit: found it

So yes, you can play it perpetually at night, or twilight or dawn.

It just occured to me if modding is as easy as they say, someone should do a ground-level first person camera mod. I'd love to 'walk' through my capital city :)

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

There is no day-night cycle, at least not currently. It's just a special effect that was added for the in-engine Wonder movies.

“We had those pre-rendered Wonder movies that show a sort of time-lapse photography sunrise to sunset. Everybody really liked those, and we got a lot of comments that they missed those as a reward for building Wonders. So now we’re doing those in-game. Wonders actually have very intricate build sequences, so as you’re building Wonders over time you can see a certain percentage that’s done by looking at them massing. But when you’re done you’re rewarded by this movie – actually, the time of day in the world changes. So it goes from night to sunrise, so you see all the bricks building up in place until you get to sunset. Or some of the wonders end at night because they’re lit. And it’s all in-game in your world, and you can see all your buildings around it. It makes the world seem more alive, and that’s something we’ve put a lot of effort into.” - Brian Busatti, Art Director

They might do something else with it, but day-night cycles don't make much sense in a game with turns measured in years.

9. dexters

That was my first read of it as well, but I've since re-read it twice and it seems to suggest otherwise in the paragraph I cited above. Though it seems a bit aspirational -- IGN never clarified if it's in the game, in testing, or just a pipedream. They sort of suggest it will be in the final game in some form.

10. m15a

m15a Chieftain

My interpretation, from the quote, is that they couldn't possibly suggest it'd be in the final game since they're still experimenting with it to see if it'd work well (in regular gameplay, not the wonder animation which is different). They have a test case with a setting where the day cycles every few minutes or whatever, but since it's being tested it could go either way - they can build upon it with options or drop it completely.

On one hand, maybe they wouldn't bother talking about possible options if it wasn't promising and likely to make it into the final game. On the other hand, it sounds like an easy feature to drop if it causes issues with other visual features or with resources.

11. dexters

Right, the paragraph below the bit I quote goes into detail about how it could be useful in a scenario where the time of day will indicate when the game ends. (in the context of the time slowly moving forward each turn)

I almost want to say it's in the game as an option for regular epic game, but they haven't decided if it will be a 'standard' feature or something you have to toggle on yourself.
    It also almost sounds like it will be an option for scenarios and modders to toggle on.

12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

I agree with your great post except for this paragraph. Single leader per civ is not a result of graphics, it's gameplay decision and it's good. Gameplay-wise, in Civ4 leaders were just a numbers, in Civ5 civilizations became unique and thus leaders aren't separatable from their civilizations. Look at Korea, with it's units sacrificing expansion for defensive power - it complements science oriented ability. Look at the Huns with both ability and units designed towards early conquest - and so on, so forth. Not all civs are equally strong, not all are equally specialized, but I really prefer Civ5 approach over Civ4 here.

13. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Chieftain

Jeez! Noooooo! No <snip> Baba Yeti! :mad: We didn't all love that most annoying game music ever you know! :D

Moderator Action: Please do not use inappropriate language when you post. Offending word snipped.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

14. winddysphere

winddysphere Chieftain

I think that they would like to draw some attention to "modern" children? Like most children nowadays play something cartoon art style like Minecraft, Borderlands 2 (sort of cartoon style though), Overwatch (In my opinion it's totally cartoon style), etc.

And it's frankly makes more sense with "to make the game for tablets" reasons. Most children plays on mobile platforms now,at least in my country. But yeah it is a lame move for Firaxis... Still, I like the overall graphics except the totally ugly samurai with a pixel katana. Seriously they should do it better. :/

15. dexters

i'm not yet sold on the art, but this article has put out the right cues in terms of where they are going design wise.

I also would think about the view that they are doing this 'for the children' . It reminds me a lot of the discourse around Nintendo games or with Wind Waker, where the primary objection is the aesthetics. Never-mind that Civ6 look a whole like a jazzed up modern Civ4.

As much as I love Civ5's realism, going back to it last night made me appreciate that even after seeing only 3 screenshots, Civ5 felt a lot smaller. The cities felt smaller. The map itself felt static. Small things like the curvature of the map in the screenshots adds a lot to the aesthetic.

16. Westwall

Westwall Chieftain

Civ 5 also feels more static because it has less moving parts than Civ 4. It's a minor detail that becomes more obvious when you just stop to look at everything. In Civ 4, you saw little mine carts rolling around and other small details that really made your empire feel alive. With Civ 5, the most non-combat activity you saw were from animals and your own workers running around making tile improvements.

17. labellavienna

labellavienna Chieftain

I really really hope the smart tablet graphics doesn't mean the simplified version of CIv. Otherwise have to wait another ten years for a hopeful installment of CIv

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

The designer's board game designs lead me to believe that the game won't be simplified. Check out "Here I Stand" on Boardgamegeek. It's a marvelous, complex game and it's anything but simple. Many moving parts that work together to create a wonderful gaming experience.

Consider that the fancy graphics for Civilization 5 bogged down the game horribly on larger sized maps. I think the graphics are quite nice for Civ VI and should be less taxing on people's computers and therefore will allow for larger maps. That's a good thing. :)

19. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

'Tis true. I thought that Civilization 5 had very nice graphics but almost seemed a little lifeless compared with cIV. Perhaps with Civ VI, there will be more activity and hustle and bustle. :)

It'll be nice to see some gameplay videos to really judge things but I must admit I am impressed with the seaside cliffs where hills are next to the ocean. If the waves are animated and crash against the rocks...:D

20. labellavienna

labellavienna Chieftain

Well I hope that's true, graphics aren't important as long as the quality is there. I also heard that this new game will be much more mod friendly, so there's gape for new and better textures.