1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

IGN: CivWorld "will redefine social gaming."

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Moss, May 11, 2011.

1. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

IGN has posted a review of the upcoming Civilization Facebook game, CivWorld. The previewer raves:
    The preview also describes some elements of the gameplay:
    You can read the full preview here.

2. BSPollux

BSPollux Chieftain

"If you know how Facebook games work, you're probably thinking about how premium currency fits into the equation and if it's possible to "buy" your way to victory. 2K says the developers are still tweaking and balancing, but the current plan is to limit what you can spend premium currency on, and how much you can spend a day. Their goal is to have the same fun and fair experience for the player that plays for free as the ones who pay. "

That sounds realy bad. For me, thats a deal-breaker. I hate it if players can buy advantages. Either they limit those to things like statistics and graphics or im out. Would be the very first civ I dont play at all.

3. kamex

kamex Chieftain

agree. its expected from zynga but not from 2k. Who the hell would buy 'civ cash' when you could spend the same money on civ v dlc.

this disaster in waiting will flop. defiantly.

4. OnmyojiOmn

OnmyojiOmn Chieftain

You don't understand. The game is going to be absolutely terrible, but it's also going to be wildly successful. That's how Facebook works. This is going to make 2K a ridiculous amount of money, and that's what you should be upset about.

5. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

What is premium currency?

6. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I say this game going to be terrible from the start, Facebook apps are always boring and repetitive... the sad part about it is that Sid Meier's don't know that until it's finished.

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

All of the strategy?? I seriously doubt that or perhaps the raver has never played a Civ game? So sad that Sid chose to spend his time on this.

8. pnp_dredd

pnp_dredd civ junkie

Seriously? You guys are getting a free-to-play Civ game and all you can do is whinge?

The model for facebook games is free-to-play but there must be an income stream somehow. I'm sorry, but that is how the world works...

I look forwards to it! It seems unlikely that this will be my favorite game for years and years (like Civ3 and Civ4), but I'm definitely going to give it a good tryout before coming to a conclusion (like Civ5!).

9. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

I would rather pay to get Sid Meier involved with the real game of the franchise (that definitly needs him back), instead of this pathetic excuse of a "game" that looks more like a really bad joke.

10. Grassland Farm

Grassland Farm Chieftain

Oh god... I knew this COULD happen, but hell, NOT CIV DAMMIT!

11. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Chieftain

At the moment, I don't think this game is looking much like a Civ game at all.

One city? Research goals (de facto) decided by whatever alliance you're in? Micro-transactions? Bloody mini-games, for crying out loud?

I'd rather play "Call of Duty: Civilizations" than what it currently sounds like this game is.

12. BSPollux

BSPollux Chieftain

You missed my point. Maybe your comment was directed at others, but I feel to repeat and explain what I said:
    "That sounds realy bad. For me, thats a deal-breaker. I hate it if players can buy advantages. Either they limit those to things like statistics and graphics or im out. Would be the very first civ I dont play at all. "

I understand that they need to make cash with it. But I see many ways to do that besides giving ingame advantages. Like for instance making a free and a premium version, where the premium version would cost something and give better graphics and statistics and such. Plus it would discourage idlers and kiddys from joining and therefor offer a better environment.

All I say is, if reallife cash can strenghten your civ directly I wont play this. Just imagine what would happen: Pro-Clans dominate free clans and such. No thanks.

13. paraszgyerek

paraszgyerek Chieftain

Sounds like playing chess with an option to buy an extra queen... that wouldn't be called "chess" anymore.

Let's give an option to buy a really-good-looking interface, modular components to play with, additional skins, hd-movies for the wonders with documentary films, let's have optional scenarios to play or whatever; but they shouldn't AT ALL harm the gameplay mechanic with money.

14. Don Promillo

Don Promillo Chieftain

:rotfl: these guys should consider linking it with ebay ... you only have 2:30 minutes left to buy the Pyramids for 50 $ ...uhm 55 by now ... or your opponent will win the game :lol:

But honestly: The advantage of turn-based-strategy (even more in single player mode) is that I can play at the pace I want!

Well, milk them like the sheep that facebook-users are :deadhorse: but plz spend the money to develop a "real" Civ 6 (One Unit per Tile & Hexa & Civ IV diversity & & & )

15. kamex

kamex Chieftain

Yep. Zynga games have 'buy super over powered item now for real money! 2 days left!

In effect, you buy 'virtual goods' for real money. In Cafe World for example. Oh look, I've spent $5 on a pretty pink chair. So what have I bought? A chair? no. You haven't bought anything. You spent $5 so a tiny 2d graphic can be displayed on your file.

Therefore, i think this kind of purchase is in any game, is completely disgusting, and should be made internationally illegal.

16. BuckyRea

BuckyRea Boldly Going

It's a different than the Civ we play. It might get some people interested in playing the real Civ. But the idea of a game where you can buy a winning score seems unsportsman like. OTOH, it's no skin of my nose if someone else wants to be a sucker.

17. fromar

fromar Chieftain

It would have to be one hell of a game to distract me from my real passion: tending my pear trees in farmville.

I really hate to be a hater, but this sounds hella lame. :deadhorse:

18. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Chieftain

What do you mean? Facebook civ is directly up Sid's alley. These are the type of games Sid likes to make-- if anything, he should have LESS influence on the Civ series. When he gets control, things like Civ-Rev and Civ-facebook come out -- those are his two little projects.

I don't understand why Sid has any sort of good reputation -- the best civs are the ones that he had absolutely no creative or design control over, apart from tacking his name on the box's cover.

19. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

This stupid sheep will check it out. If I don't like, I'll move on. No need for anyone to get worked up over a social-networking site and a game they haven't even played yet.

20. hoplitejoe

hoplitejoe Top fun-poster

let's be honest, this game could be the best game ever created and you guys wouldn't like it because it is on facebook and is therefore casual (and we all know that it is impossible to have a good casual game cos only mums play that sort of thing and we are way to hardcore for it right!) . At least give it a try before calling it a "bad joke".