1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IGN is out of their minds.

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Omega124, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Link to video.

As seen here, IGN believes that, if the offside call against America never happened, and therefore win, the scores are, and I'm being dead serious.

Uruguay: USA 1 Uruguay 0

Holland: USA 2 Holland 0

Spain: USA 0 Spain 0 (2-0 PK)

Please, even I, an American, knows that these scores are completely unrealistic. Just think about, we barely even tied against England (and if the goalie didn't drop it, we would had lost). Uruguay alone would had defeated us 10-0 easily, but barring that, Holland defeated Brazil! They wouldn't lose against, and I quote someone on YouTube, "a nation that doesn't even get the name of the sport right". Tying against Spain I could somewhat believe as a "Miracle on Grass" (Assuming that they could even beat Holland), but for Spain to miss /every. last. penalty kick? Come on.

So what's your opinion on this simulation?

2. Arwon

Arwon

Bwahahahahaha.

There's nothing wrong with calling it soccer, though. If it's good enough for the most recent World Cup final, it's good enough for me...

3. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

LOL!

This reminds me an old joke:

- What a Paris SG fan does after his club wins the Champions League ?
    - He switches off the Playstation. :lol:

I guess that's also true with the US and the world cup. :)

4. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Heard that joke but with a variety of different themes!

But :lol: whichever comedy genius wrote that deserves a medal

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, and if North Korea beat Brazil, the dear leader would have scored 5 hat tricks and lead the Koreans to their first world cup trophy.

6. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I mean, while this scenario is a bit ridiculous, it is certainly not impossible. Uruguay certainly would not win 10-0, this is pure ridiculousness. Uruguay needed a miracle penalty miss to beat Ghana, a team the United States honestly should have shoved aside.

Holland, if they played like they did in March, would have destroyed the United States. But given that Holland decided to play like Guatemala in Guatemala City, I think it's fair to say that the USA would have had a chance to win given a great game from Howard, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, and Altidore.

I mean, last year, this United States beat a largely-the-same, in-form roster of Spain in South Africa to reach the Confederations Cup Finals. This shows that, on a good day, the United States can beat anyone at any time.

Would 3 games in a row be a bit ridiculous? Of course. It's certainly not impossible though.

7. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

The Spaniards lost because they undermined the U.S. team. After that shocker, I doubt teams take them lightly anymore.

8. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

We have a competition here which lets you purchase players with a limited maximum cash, and then depending on the performance of the wc you get points.
    I took donovan and he was great in relation points/price :D

9. Arwon

Arwon

Fantasy Football!

10. shortguy

shortguy It's a working title

Hahaha Robbie Findley scored. That's a funny joke.

11. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

This simulation is completely bogus. There are no vuvuzelas.

We need to bring Paul the Octopus out of retirement to properly settle it.

12. North King

North King blech

Uruguay is a fairly good team. At the same time, we should stop acting as though Ghana is a team we can easily just curbstomp if we really put our minds to it. This Ghana side is quite possibly the best African team we've seen, and are even starting to develop some real class.

Clearly we've been watching totally different teams. Donovan and maybe Howard are our only players that even come close to world class. The rest that you named are mediocre at best, and weren't even in form for the entire tournament to boot (except Bradley, who was a surprise).

If you EVER cite performances in the CC for anything, then you will never be taken seriously. This is the sort of tournament where Australia makes it to the final, or Denmark wins it all.

13. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

And the United States played poorly and barely lost to them. They could (and should) have beaten them in 90 minutes.

I never said anything about them being World Class, but rather who would need good games for them to win against a Spain or Holland. :lol:

It's also the sort of tournament very similar rosters to the World Cup team were used by Brazil, Spain, and Italy.

14. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

The US made too many mistakes in the opening minutes of each of their games. There's no way they could have beaten anyone after Ghana.

15. Arwon

Arwon

Assuming, of course, the other team isn't trying.

Australia in 2001 beat Brazil, Mexico and France in that tournament. Draw your own conclusions.

16. North King

North King blech

I don't think it was a near run thing at all.

They'd need good games to the point where they'd be performing above and beyond their capabilities.

Those players weren't even trying. No one does. It's not an important tournament. :lol:

17. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

My conclusion is that the French team of 2001 was dyslexic so they played under the 2010 rules ("France lose")

18. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Actually no.
    France won the 2001 confederations cup. :mischief:

That was the good old days when we had a team who knew how to play football. :sad:

19. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Just during the Australia game, then.

20. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Must have been watching a different game then. Chances on both ends with the United States controlling a lot of the play.

As already proved against Spain, not above their capabilities

That's why Brazil didn't celebrate their trophy or Spain didn't hang around after losing? Because they didn't care. Or Italy gave it their all to score one goal in their final group? Are you delusional or do you purposefully forget images of that Confederations Cup to try and back up your arguments?