IGN Preview of Civ5, with Video

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
WOW!:eek: That looks good. I was questioning on whether CIV V would be worth getting.... I may change my mind towards getting.

I have died, and I have gone to heaven. Thank you :jesus:

It looks great. :)

Hopefully, the game play will be just as great.

Slendificus! Even with the youtube 720p limit, the graphics in this preview puts the previous ones to shame - video and still images alike.

Every preview makes me want to get this game even more, and I have wanted to get it ever since it was first announced. It will be awesome.

Cant wait for this, I hadnt been checking for new games in a really long time, then when I do I find Im only 2 month from getting my hands on ciV ??? This is too good to be true.

Very nice. That video really shows off the way Civ 5 has improved the appearance and user interface. Combat looks awesome and I'm just counting the days until I can get a copy!

So far I felt lukewarm about Civ 5, there have been some things I considered improvements and others I did not care all that much about. Seeing that video made me want to play it though ;)

What is all this I am hearing about needing steam to run Civ V??

Civ V thoughts;

Excitement towards getting Civ V (which I will most certainly do): Not very high

Excitement towards fantasy mods for Civ V such as Fall From Heaven; Wild Mana: VERY VERY VERY EXTREMELY OVER-THE-TOP HIGH

The improvements to the interface: awesome.

The improvements to the graphics: awesome.

The fact that we're still talking modern warfare and not talking flame elementals: ... -_-

Seriously folks; guns are loud, ugly, and useless. I love the game concept and the way Civilization works, but I get bored as soon as I get gunpowder.

That's why Wild Mana has stolen my heart.

Civ V will just give us another challenge to mod into a game without loud annoying banging of guns. Also, we should aim to make our awesome fantasy mods include in-depth under-sea cities and empires.

I'm just sayin'.

~Raederle Phoenix Jacot
of Phoenix's Muse Creations

Writer (Novelist & Poet)
Artist (Digital Painter)
Gamer

Civ V thoughts;

Excitement towards getting Civ V (which I will most certainly do): Not very high

Excitement towards fantasy mods for Civ V such as Fall From Heaven; Wild Mana: VERY VERY VERY EXTREMELY OVER-THE-TOP HIGH

Cept the FFH team is doing its own game next: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/27/fall-from-heaven-climbs-to-heaven/

On the case of guns: For me, the musketeer/rifleman era is a bit boring, but the modern era, where once again units and support units come into play, is awesome. Also, with Civ5's tactical combat, the gun era should be much more fun - like a sexy Panzer General.

Speaking of sexy: oh my god these graphics make me fangasm.

Well, it's okay that the Fall from Heaven team isn't working on the mod anymore; we have the Wild Mana modmod of Fall from Heaven which is a HUGE improvement from the original FFH.

On the case of guns: For me, the musketeer/rifleman era is a bit boring, but the modern era, where once again units and support units come into play, is awesome. Also, with Civ5's tactical combat, the gun era should be much more fun - like a sexy Panzer General.

Speaking of sexy: oh my god these graphics make me fangasm.

It's not just that the musketeers and riflemen are boring; they're ugly, loud and obnoxious. The gun, the tank, bombers, and so forth, are all personifications of modern war and how ugly and honorless war is. Perhaps men don't feel this way about it, but to me, a gun is an ugly disgusting thing, and bombs are beyond my words for explaining how deplorable they are. I dislike playing games where the main attraction is big explosions and scoping out your enemies to shoot them. I don't even like being in the room when someone is playing one of those horribly graphic games.

I love the game engine for Civilization, and like I said, I enjoy it right up until I get guns. Hence, I love fantasy mods. It's clearly a FANTASY when I'm throwing fireballs at succubus to kill them. When I'm using tanks to invade an enemy civilization, that doesn't feel like fantasy. That's a reenactment of many of the things horribly wrong with the world.

But honestly, the moral thing really is only about 20% of my issue with it. 50% is how annoying, loud and painful the sounds guns and bombs make. The sound effects ruin enjoyable game music, and give me a headache. The other 30% is that guns are just plain ugly. Swords have a sort of beauty to them, and watching someone of skill wield one is enjoyable. The sort of clothing the samurai wore is much more pleasing to the eye then modern-day military clothing. In general I find uniforms quite displeasing. I find extremely high detail graphics pointless when what they depict is something unattractive.

Being a bi-sexual woman, I love playing games where there are lots of beautiful women dressing in intricate fantasy clothing.

So to me, Civilization is best when you can play a race like the Svartalfar; a tree-hugging race that builds pretty-looking upgrades to the terrain (instead of the usual eye-sores), and where all of the units look like sexy chicks (including scouts and warriors and mages)! Now THAT is fun.

PS: Also, you have me to mod. :) I'm an artist, and writer and my husband is a programmer. We're plotting on making a modmodmod for Wild Mana.

Top Bottom