"Ignore this request"?

skyclad

Prince
Hello civfanatics,

What do you think of the ability to select "ignore this request" when the AI asks you to stop settling near him, move your troops away from his borders, etc?
I think, to me it seems very cheap. What is the point of the AI asking you to make a decision, "do i be honest and take a diplo hit now, or do I lie and take a diplo hit later?" if you can just select ignore and not have to face the consequence?
Why is it optional to answer the AIs requests, then what is the point of them at all? If you are not forced to either declare war right now or position for a few turns but be a liar, where is the tension? Now you can just refuse to answer, get into position, and attack like they never asked you. Or am I misunderstand how this works?
I know the AI would rather you promise to do as they wish and not lie about it, so by ignoring you are missing out some opportunity of positive modifiers maybe? Or what is the drawback? Do you agree this mechanic is good? In my opinion they could just as well remove the AI asking you for things at all if you can just ignore their request.

Thanks for reading and let me know your opinion.

So do you get the same penalty for ignoring as for saying "we will settle where we please"? Bigger, smaller?

When declaring from this promt, it is automatically surprise war... So you try to salvage your reputation as not being a liar, but instead you get huge warmonger reputation hit.

If that is the case why would you ever lie? What is the point of the dialog?

I'm not sure because I havent checked, but maybe you get the ignore diplo hit only after ignoring several requests? (I was at least denounced once for ignoring Tomyris' requests)

IIRC, if you ignore a request and then do what they asked you to not do, then you get a bigger diplo hit with the person that asked you to stop doing that, but no global diplo hit for being a liar.

No guarantee that this is right.

I spam 'ignore.' Usually when I break a promise its because I didn't mean to break it. So ignore is the safe choice. Even with 'Don't settle near me.' Turns out 'near me' can mean 'on the opposite side of the globe.' I think all of the request diplomacy is broken at the moment, so I just ignore everything.

I actually care about my reputation with the other civs, but this game just makes it impossible to keep folks happy. Well, not impossible. But I refuse to be forward settled on, and I absolutely refuse to have someone else's religion in my country. You even lob one pamphlet over my walls, I am setting your world on fire.

It's necessary right now because its impossible to agree to the AI's requests. When they are asking me to move a unit from their borders that's located inside one of my cities, and is being placed there for the +1 ammenities per cities policy, something's broken. If the AI making the request has more units next to that city than I do, something's doubly broken.

If I could more reasonably agree to AI requests and they were serving their intended purpose, maybe ignore wouldn't be necessary. Perhaps ignore should also be, "my army is a defensive force and it won't move, but neither will I attack." An option like that, better implimented, could create a more meaningful choice, and give you a way out without moving your troops while forcing you to make a promise.

If you ignore you get a diplo hit for that player but remain neutral against the other players. This allows you to ignore and then on you next turn declare with a causus belli. If you surprise war, everyone hates you. If you ignore and the declare with the causus belli, that particular civ hates you but everyone else's opinion gets modified according to whatever causus belli modifier is in place.

If you ignore you get a diplo hit for that player but remain neutral against the other players. This allows you to ignore and then on you next turn declare with a causus belli. If you surprise war, everyone hates you. If you ignore and the declare with the causus belli, that particular civ hates you but everyone else's opinion gets modified according to whatever causus belli modifier is in place.

So what is the point of being a honest "bad guy"? Just role play?

Ignore all day, every day

One of the best changes to the game tbh, but it would be even better if these damned leaders didn't ever talk to me

I recall that also being the case in Civ3, Civ4 and Civ5, unless I wanted to exploit them.

You still get diplo hit by ignoring. This is why Civ6 is bad. Didn't learn anything form Civ5

If its better in every situation to press ignore, you do it as a no brainer right is What you guys say, how can it Possibly be a useful or good mechanic? Just get rid of it if we have this cop out!

I got denounced by the AI for not wanting to make a promise by ignoring requests. You can't "win" the diplomacy war here. I feel satisfied when I get all sad faces (yellow) with the other leaders :D

Top Bottom