IGN's Top 25 PC Games of All Time

Am I the only one who thinks Warcraft III should be up there? I think that's an incredible game. Why isn't it up there?

I am also in the boat with Diablo II and Doom. Strange that they're not there.

Glad that Starcraft's there though. I STILL see game shops like EB selling that game - 9 years after it was made!

Games that should have been on the list:
Masters of Orion 2
HOMM 3
Diablo 2
Total Annihilation (been playing too much open source spring lately)

Good calls:
Baldur's gate 2 - This game is so frickin fun, i played it about 6 times.
Civ 4 - Yeah it deserves to be in the top 10, maybe not 2 though.
WoW- Sure its not as intense as some other MMORPG's, but it presents a simple, popular package, and if you want a low hassle fun MMORPG its the right game.

Am I the only one who thinks Warcraft III should be up there? I think that's an incredible game. Why isn't it up there?
I presume IGN chose between War2 and War3. And they chose the one with the biggest impact. :)
War3 is a great game, but War2 was incredible at it's time.

I'm amazed that they totally slighted iD. They only practically invented FPS's with Wolfenstein / Doom / Quake.

I agree with NHJ, too, Command & Conquer / Dune 2

I wonder what the criteria is----total discs sold, meta-ratings, etc..? Though I guess some old farts's wishes would make this list a history, and not the current 'best' games of all time. ;*)

No Doom? Are they joking? No Doom makes me throw out that entire list, sorry.

It revolutionized computer gaming as we know it; the online FPS was unheard of before that. What a shame.

Wow...just read the list and i was pleasantly surpised at #1!

I loved that game (X-com) back in the day. I picked it up on Playstation a few years back but never fired it up. Now I'll have to.

I have no prob with the selection of Civ4, i think its the series in general that grabs this ranking as do the other games with multiple additions.

Microprose sure ruled the strategy world back in the day. Will we ever see a Master of Magic 2?

I don't think i could ever get sick of Warcraft 3! I agree that it was the 2nd installment that had the best impression, but #3 was perfection.

Okay, first, there are two games that I would add to the list. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (seems to be pretty popular here, too) and Lord of the Realms 2. The first because it was a fun game and I had many memorable moments with that game. The latter, well, it too was a fun game. It had the best mix of turn base and real time strategy. What I hate about most RTS games is that there is too much micromanagement which opened the computer to cheating. I got so frustrated playing Warcraft 2 when I would barely be getting started and before I have my first archer when suddenly the computer comes through with Ogres and the like. Playing against humans varied depending on how much they played the game. I often got whooped because these dorks would be just as bad as the computer. I was never able to improve. And working as a team (to lessen the micromanagement) only works if you get along with your teamates. For me, it often came down to arguing about what was needed, meanwhile getting smashed by the oponent.

Anyway, in LotR 2, that was not a problem. The management was handled in turn based, so when it was time for battle, that was all you had to concentrate on. Another addition to the list that I just thought about... Dark Legions. A great mix of Chess and Stratego with a fantasy element. The only problem with it is that it is hard to find, and harder to get to work. If only Silicon Knights would remake the game. It would be a perfect fit for the DS.

Anyway, I think it is cool that the top two (more or less) came from the same company... sort of. The Civ series was originally done by Microprose who, though it was not a Sid Meier game, also published X-Com. I have long awaited a true remake of that game, and not the third rate crap that claims to be the next X-Com either, but a true REMAKE.

If I were given the chance to remake it, here is what I would do. Update the graphics and the interface, and nothing else. The only change to the story would be to change the year that it took place from 1999 to say 2050. I doubt I would even change the ending too much. Interface wise, I would make it so that you could pre-set what equipment is on what soldier. One of my only gripes was that it took too long to rearrange the equipment on each soldier before each battle. For some reason, the computer seemed to give the heaviest equipment to the weakest person in my games. Other than that, I might add a few more species of aliens and some more technologies, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. Here's hoping that Firaxis can somehow get ahold of the lisence. It would be a surefire hit! And if anybody has any doubts, they can just get a hold of me to lead the design team. ;)

the Sims was the top selling game for about 6 years running. It seriously fought with Civ(any) for just one more turn.

I'm guessing that people with biases decided the list without any consideration of reality.

this list is absolutely horrible....

Civ 4 on second place???? It's not widely played and it has some big limitations (too slow)

Where is Ultima Online??????? the first massive multiplayer rpg... today it is still played by many people (15 year of history and still new expansion packs come out...). WoW is a good title but it's early to compare with UO..

this is a list of ALL TIME????

I have to complain that Diablo isnt on there, Starcraft, but not Warcraft?? Counter Strike, and any version of Doom are also missing IMO...

and Civ 4?? even among avid Civ fans its not the hands down best...yet #2?? Im gonna pretend that is for Civ games in general

I think X-COM UFO defense deserved the top. :)
I think they should have said civ 3 instead of civ4

Europa Universalis II is better than all those games in the list (Rome TW is just a strategically shallow battlefest), though I doubt the people who game up with that list ever played it. EU II is the perfect game, just a shame its complexity tends to prevent it reaching a wider audience. Then again, that's the audience's fault, not the game's. :D In a time relative list, Alpha Centuri is IMHO the best of the civ games, and still plays well. Behind that is Call to Power II (still has the best combat system). Civ 4 is probably the best of them in absolute terms.

Top Bottom