Illegal settlement building, in the West Bank

luiz said:
The law can and has been apply to Jewish lawmakers as well. In most countries, if a Congressman is convicted of a crime, he can expect some consequences. Suspension of payment is pretty mild. To call that an "apartheid measure" is ridiculous.

Evidence it's been applied to MKs of Jewish descent? Or are you just making that up?
As you should probably be aware, a law can be racist in intent and application without explicitly mentioning race (or ethnicity or whatever) at all.

In any case you are the one focusing on this one law out of the whole list of fity or so. It is far from the most important law at issue here and that you are simply ignoring many rather more important laws, probably because you know you don't have a case here.

luiz said:
Well you have to distinguish between Arab Israelis and Palestinians without Israeli citizenship. Of course, rights are different for those without citizenship (for an extreme example, look how Arab countries such as the UAE, Kuwait and Saudi treat non-citizens from poor Muslim countries. But of course you're only hysterical about Israel...)

Right, because it makes sense to hold Israel to the same standard as dictatorships and absolute monarchies. In any case, you have no goddamn idea what I'm "hysterical" about - the topic of this thread is Israel, not those other countries.
For the record, I have criticized the US government for upholding these regimes many times in the past and will happily do so again if you want to make a thread about it. Those regimes are largely in place because the oil wealth of these countries being used systematically to benefit their own citizens is an unacceptable outcome for the West.

Evidence it's been applied to MKs of Jewish descent? Or are you just making that up?
As you should probably be aware, a law can be racist in intent and application without explicitly mentioning race (or ethnicity or whatever) at all.

In any case you are the one focusing on this one law out of the whole list of fity or so. It is far from the most important law at issue here and that you are simply ignoring many rather more important laws, probably because you know you don't have a case here.
No, you know you don't have a case here. Instead of mentioning any discriminatory law, you provided a link to an absurd list that considers suspension of payment to convicted criminals and college tuition for former soldiers to be "discriminatory". It's very lame.

As for Jewish MKs who had their payment suspended and even faced additional penalties after being convicted for a crime, there are quite a few: Naomi Blumenthal, Tzachi Hanegbi, Ofer Hugi (ultra-orthodox Jew too!)...

Basically, if you're convicted of a crime, bad things happen to you. In Israel and anywhere else.

Right, because it makes sense to hold Israel to the same standard as dictatorships and absolute monarchies. In any case, you have no goddamn idea what I'm "hysterical" about - the topic of this thread is Israel, not those other countries.
For the record, I have criticized the US government for upholding these regimes many times in the past and will happily do so again if you want to make a thread about it. Those regimes are largely in place because the oil wealth of these countries being used systematically to benefit their own citizens is an unacceptable outcome for the West.
So the fact that Israel is a democracy that treats all its citizens equally regardless of their origin or confession means it should be treated as a pariah apartheid state and boycotted and divested, while it's pointless to criticize countries that are dictatorships and absolute monarchies, because we expect them to be horrible.

When I see a BDS Movement against the UAE or Kuwait or Qatar we can start talking. Until then I'll call it hysteria and irrational hatred.

luiz said:
No, you know you don't have a case here. Instead of mentioning any discriminatory law, you provided a link to an absurd list that considers suspension of payment to convicted criminals and college tuition for former soldiers to be "discriminatory". It's very lame.

As for Jewish MKs who had their payment suspended and even faced additional penalties after being convicted for a crime, there are quite a few: Naomi Blumenthal, Tzachi Hanegbi, Ofer Hugi (ultra-orthodox Jew too!)...

Basically, if you're convicted of a crime, bad things happen to you. In Israel and anywhere else.

What is your threshold for a law to be considered discriminatory?

luiz said:
When I see a BDS Movement against the UAE or Kuwait or Qatar we can start talking. Until then I'll call it hysteria and irrational hatred.

I've been saying we need to get off oil for ten years precisely so we can re-evaluate our relationships with these countries.

Until we do that, we are like a heroin junkie trying to get his dealer to change. Not gonna happen.

I remember that from when I was in Iraq. It's not just 'p' either. We were told in Arabic, they don't have 'c', 'o', 'p', or 'e'.

Yeah, the Palestinians call their country 'Falastin.'

I'm surprised luiz hasn't brought up Meir Kahane yet.

Anyway, what do you imagine would happen if black members of congress attended this guy's funeral, and referred to him as a martyr? Do you think suspending them would constitute racism?

Yeah, the Palestinians call their country 'Falastin.'

Which, remarkably, is closer to the original Philistine. But then in Eastern Europe, no one has heard of Byzantines, as they are called Vyzantines. C, by the way, is only a letter in Latin-influenced languages, and was originally pronounced as K (hence Kaiser and Kaiserieh).

Top Bottom