Illians, snow, and hammers

catquiet

Chieftain
If building a temple of the hand turns all the squares around a city into the equivalent of grasslands, won't the Illians have trouble getting enough hammers in some cities?

Maybe the temple of the hand should give a +1 hammer bonus to citizens to help out. Or Illians could get a +1 hammer bonus to snow/forest squares.

If building a temple of the hand turns all the squares around a city into the equivalent of grasslands, won't the Illians have trouble getting enough hammers in some cities?

Maybe the temple of the hand should give a +1 hammer bonus to citizens to help out. Or Illians could get a +1 hammer bonus to snow/forest squares.

Thats what they had in the first version and it playtested through the roof, the illians were a juggernaut. So I set it down to where it is and played again and the seemed pretty balanced. But im interested to hear form other on their relative strength.

Though it's not an early game option, I think Workshops work very well for the Illians-- not to mention if you have forests covering that Ice then you get a slight bonus early on and of course Lumbermills.

They seem perfectly fine as is to me.

Theres always Ice hills...

Though it's not an early game option, I think Workshops work very well for the Illians-- not to mention if you have forests covering that Ice then you get a slight bonus early on and of course Lumbermills.

They seem perfectly fine as is to me.

That's what I thought as well, but workshops are not build able on Ice. I had a worker standing on ice, but workshop icon wasn't present, moved him a tile over to a plains tile, and the workshop icon appeared. So, I'm guessing they'll have to rely on mines and eventually on lumbermills (provided they beeline to lumbermills and keep the woods in the meantime).

On some maps (not erebus for sure) with only a few hills the Illians might be low on production, but so are the Lanun; there are always different ways to improve production.

Edit: Workshops are buildable on ice next to a sea or river. Might be good to make it available for all ice tiles.

That's what I thought as well, but workshops are not build able on Ice. I had a worker standing on ice, but workshop icon wasn't present, moved him a tile over to a plains tile, and the workshop icon appeared. So, I'm guessing they'll have to rely on mines and eventually on lumbermills (provided they beeline to lumbermills and keep the woods in the meantime).

Oh. Well, dang.

I always try to make sure I settle near a tile that can produce hammers with mines or at least a forest in the first set of tiles. Then I go for a monument to improve culture while waiting for second population to assign to food. Didn't get to workshops but villages were cool. No commerce on the river with ice was a little bit of a pain but I can understand where the devs were coming from.

That seems to me like it should be changed. The Illians shouldn't have to "hold out on snow until they get improvements built". Icing their terrain shouldn't limit their improvement options, ever, or it becomes a micromanagement nightmare that the AI won't deal with well. Lumbermills are one thing, but the Illians should definitely be able to build Workshops on snow.

I have since discovered, that workshops can be built on snow as long as it is next to a river......... which is still almost useless since watermills are going to be better in every way.

Nothing but farms, Agrarianism, Slavery, and Aristocracy + Sanitation is insanely powerful.

^^^^

Tell me how your supposed to keep your citys from going mad after 3 slavery rushes?

Let me rephrase then: Given the choice between a workshop and a watermill, the watermill will likely be the best choice, since it gives good production and commerce, without the cost in food associated with workshops. However, workshops have the advantage of not needing to be next to a river to be built, unless your building in snow, in which case workshops do need a river to be built. But since in that case you have the option of building a watermill, there's little reason to build the workshop, unless the other side of the river already has a watermill on it.

^^^^

Tell me how your supposed to keep your citys from going mad after 3 slavery rushes?

The same way as in vanilla? It's not really hard to pace your slavery so that you're whipping different cities at different times.

Hmmmm, OK someone help me out then, I have been an avid farm hater player ever since I played civ 4 for more than 1 month, I learned to love cottages and NEVER build farms unless they are needed to help me reach the happiness cap.

So is that a good playstyle (I might add that when I play Calabim I do have farm citys for feasting) or not. And when should I ever use farms otherwise?

why are the workshops available only on riversides? :\

anyway I agree, they need to be able to build improvements on snow like it wasn't snow. :D

Hmmmm, OK someone help me out then, I have been an avid farm hater player ever since I played civ 4 for more than 1 month, I learned to love cottages and NEVER build farms unless they are needed to help me reach the happiness cap.

So is that a good playstyle (I might add that when I play Calabim I do have farm citys for feasting) or not. And when should I ever use farms otherwise?

I play the same way. If the city has at least one food resource I usually only have one farm or so for that city, with the rest of the tiles being cottages (except hills which I only mine). I dont think I build windmills ever.

Top Bottom