Illians

Ositario

Chieftain
first of all thanks for the illians, they are just cool and the concept of terraforming war, is great.

but i wish i could take this war a step further, i sorly miss a second way of terraforming, either as the FoL priest or some thing simular to the genesis projekt. i think it should be of the greatest intresst of the illians to turn as much to snow as possible. this is but a littel bit tempered by the fakt that it is in some cases (like you city is souroundet by grassland) not realy a choice, the mali out way the boni in that case. some more atvantage should come from snow, if not in comerce than in perhaps happy faces or healt, like the elven forest.

Perhaps a winter priest could turn a tile within Illian territory to Snow/Ice. I think the priests are rare enough themselves that it should prove worthwhile without being OP

Also, you make the city incredibly unattractive potential conquerers. That's potentially quite important, makes you a lot less likely to be invaded.

well if the invader is a elf, with irvain and a cuple priest any land is a lush forest in a blink.

Perhaps a winter priest could turn a tile within Illian territory to Snow/Ice. I think the priests are rare enough themselves that it should prove worthwhile without being OP

well as far as i know they cant, exept that a blizzard turns a tile permanent in to snow.

i just play a game where between two of my citis a strip of dessert lies whith turned in to burning sand, apart of looking out of place it also makes movments rather difficult.

well if the invader is a elf, with irvain and a cuple priest any land is a lush forest in a blink.
Well, if it's late enough in the game, sure. In the early-mid game, less so. And even late game, having to terraform the entire fat cross before it's useful means you're not going to be able to just steamroll through and set up shop casually.

well for just that my request is to have a way to terraform with the illians, so far is just one building that permanently terraforms, all other spells are temporary.

well for just that my request is to have a way to terraform with the illians, so far is just one building that permanently terraforms, all other spells are temporary.

In my new civ mod, the Frozen, I'm going to add an "Ice Druid" buildable only by the Illians (and the new civ) that can cast a spell to either spread snow below a forest or create forest on snow. I also intend to add AoI-style Blizzards that move and spread snow terrain and release that as a seperate modcomp.

Just thought you might be interested in this, since I too was annoyed at how the Illians can't really "terraform" without building the Temple of the Hand- as everythign else is temp terrain. That's actually why I began working on ice stuff, such as a new divine ice civ and other small improvements to "Winter".

sounds intressting, great job i will try it thanks. :goodjob:

--> going now to download

No it doesn't. Hill tiles give the same yield as grassland hills(minus any applicable river income).

If they did, it would be pretty powerful. It would also help deal with the issue that the Illian capital on flavour starts is often surrounded entirely by Ice Hills, with narry a flatland tile in site. I can only assume that that is caused by interaction of scripts. The flavour start tries to give the Illians lots of ice but the intended capital city location has to be "good" and it doesn't see flatland ice as anything but worthless. It tries to do you a favour by surrounding you by hills. I've had a few crappy Illians starts. Luckily early Ice Priests can compensate...

Don't know how hard it would be to implement, but letting the Illians make use of frozen rivers (ie rivers on ice tiles) for their commerce bonus would be nice. I just started my first Illian game, and have completely hosed my early game by building a temple of the hand, not realizing I would lose all my river commerce! I reloaded an earlier savegame, but it's still rather annoying.

Illians should also get a +1 food bonus on tundra, IMO, and a construction bonus in snow and tundra for workers to counterbalance the global penalties for those terrains. In essence ice and tundra both would be the functional equivalent of grasslands. In a game flavor sense, that seems to follow the idea that the cold just doesn't bother them the way it does everyone else. Or is this just too powerful?

Don't know how hard it would be to implement, but letting the Illians make use of frozen rivers (ie rivers on ice tiles) for their commerce bonus would be nice. I just started my first Illian game, and have completely hosed my early game by building a temple of the hand, not realizing I would lose all my river commerce! I reloaded an earlier savegame, but it's still rather annoying.

Illians should also get a +1 food bonus on tundra, IMO, and a construction bonus in snow and tundra for workers to counterbalance the global penalties for those terrains. In essence ice and tundra both would be the functional equivalent of grasslands. In a game flavor sense, that seems to follow the idea that the cold just doesn't bother them the way it does everyone else. Or is this just too powerful?

Commerce on rivers is easy. Just copy two lines of code in the XML.

Or play Flavourmod 2 by Jean Elcard.
Not only coming with some cool mapscripts like Erebuscontinent & the Extended End of Winter Game Option, playing the Illians is a lot of fun. Commerce on icy river tiles & the whole culteral area transforms into ice over time. Must say makes the Illian temple quite obsolete, being used only for the Priest GP.

Commerce on rivers is easy. Just copy two lines of code in the XML.

The +1 food on tundra is easy. But for the rivers, is <CivilizationRiverYieldChange> a valid XML category, like <CivilizationYieldChange> is? Guess I'll add it and see if the game breaks. :)

Edit: Why yes, surprise surprise, it does break. Editing the Schemas is well beyond my current proficiency, anyone know how to add a civ-specific river commerce bonus in only snow terrain?

unless you want to mess with the dll you can give the Illian pagan temple UB a +1 commerce on river tiles.

It shouldn't be hard to add the new tag in the schema ... so long as you don't care if it actually does anything. If you want that data to actually be read and used for anything you'll have to edit the sdk and compile a new dll.

I'd forgotten that in BtS buildings (like Levees) can modify the yields of riverside tiles within thier city radius. That solution should work quite nicely.

It shouldn't be hard to add the new tag in the schema ... so long as you don't care if it actually does anything. If you want that data to actually be read and used for anything you'll have to edit the sdk and compile a new dll.

I'd forgotten that in BtS buildings (like Levees) can modify the yields of riverside tiles within thier city radius. That solution should work quite nicely.

can't you just have the palace provide +1 commerce on snow-river tiles?

Imho the best solution would be that the temple of the hand provided +1 commerce on river tiles. Unlike enhancing snow-river tiles (which needed a new coding) it's easy to do as it already code and you still only get as much as any player gets from rivertiles as it automatically transforms the terrain into snow.

Not without a significant amount of C++ work.

...and you still only get as much as any player gets from rivertiles as it automatically transforms the terrain into snow.

That is not quite true. The Temple of the Hand turns all nearby tiles to Snow, but it does nothing to keep it that way. You can Scorch or Vitalize the tiles to get better yields, and if End of Winter was on a tile that was Snow or Tundra when the Temple of the Hand was built will revert to a warmer climate. Also, the python that causes the terraforming only effects a 2 tile radius, so with both a Temple of the Hand and a City of a Thousand Slums you can get extra yields from an outer ring of unchanged tiles.

Note that that refers to the unmodded game, not the way I have it on my computer. A while back I changed the Temple of the Hand so that instead of running the python code when first built it runs it once per turn, but uses pPlot.setTempTerrainType instead of pPlot.setTerrainType. That eliminates the problem of the Thaw Game Option, and means that any other terraforming in Illian lands won't last. (Unfortunately the function doesn't seem to do anything if the tile is already of the terrain type as you are trying to make it, which makes individual tiles occasionally thaw back to what they used to be before refreezing for one turn. That can sometimes interfere with build orders.) Oh, I also increased the tarraformed radius to 3.

Top Bottom