1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

im a forgoton german-ptw chieftan

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by giraffman, Feb 1, 2005.

1. DBear

DBear unbeliever

The GL improves your chances of surviving in the ocean, but you still have a good chance of sinking.

2. planetfall

planetfall Emperor

Have you read Ision's guide on Germany?

You didn't share where you are in tech tree or desired winning solution or the number of luxuries you have. These concerns are critical to playing well.

Here are a few comments:

GOOD
    ~~~~~
    1. Number of cities has increased
    2. building Sistine, good if less than 4 luxuries
    3. Prebuild in Leipzip

BAD
    ~~~~
    1. more roads needed, especially around Berlin, Leipzip, Hamburg
    2. 2 cities creating wealth, good rule of thumb, is there is always something better than wealth. At Emperor level, you might have wealth for 3..5 turns, but that's it. At your level, never.
    3. You are still in Despotism, you need to get to Republic ASAP. This has to be your number one goal, period.
    4. Stuttgart should have a better build option than warrior.
    5. Some builds are way too long and you need to rethink builds in these cities:
    NHannover-53, NNuremberg-97, Trongheim-53, Bonn-47, Nottingham-32. Your goal is improvements should be < 30 turns.
    6. military build is too much defense: it should be 2/3rd offense
    7. Bergen should be eliminated, you run too high risk of flipping and isolating NNuremberg and NLeipzig.

Recommendations
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. forget navy until you have the entire continent
    2. Be aware, you need to prepare for strong opponent on dark continent, Plan ahead.
    3. Use Leipzip as prebuild for Smiths
    4. Build worker instead of wealth in cologne
    5. add city between Cologne and Stuttgart
    6. Plan to eliminate Bergen soon.
    7. Don't wait for panzers, you can be very very effective with knights and cavs.
    8. Ask for help on this thread. Your plans for next 20 turns are..... Is this what you would do, or is there a better alternative?

You're doing good for a chieftain.

PF

3. Tatran

Tatran Deity

It's already said by Planetfall.(Still in Despotism.)

4. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

im in democracy but i seem to be going in deficit all the time i seen all the map now and no spare continents left im thinking of going into monarchy or communism (if i have it) as no unit support is crippling me should have micro managed better . iplay germany all the time cos i lived there in 90s a spurious
    reason i know , but they are militaristic. in the past i have had diplowin with germany on chieftan and a cultural win.and also won on points 600 i think.

5. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

went back into monarchy for unit support

Attached Files:

6. planetfall

planetfall Emperor

I also almost always play only germany. I did not suggest Democracy. If demo, then you need lots of luxuries and need to focus on culture/diplo/space win.

Rather than revert to Monarchy you would have been better off reverting to Republic. Just for fun, go back to your last save before you switched to Monarchy. Now switch to republic instead. Play 2 turns so happiness settles down. Now get CRpSuite utilities and load all the files from last Democracy govt to monarchy govt and republic. Look at the numbers, Republic will give you greatest flexibility.

You are scientific. At chieftan level a key priority must be to milk your strength. It is not just panzers. You have panzers because you are scientific. One of your first builds must be library/university. Try to stack the scientific wonders in one city. If you play Germany right, you should always be in the top 3 of education from middle of middle ages on.

Do you have city governors on? You don't want musketman to be an early build in new city. Build a lower cost unit in that city. Build the musketman in the wealth city and move to city you want him.

Again, what win are you trying for? You can't just hope one of the wins will work out, you need to focus on one method of winning and go for it.

Good luck.

PF

7. planetfall

planetfall Emperor

Are you even reading our suggestions?

How many luxuries do you have?

Why did you do a palace jump? It is rarely beneficial and here moved your anti-corruption center out further so fewer cities can benefit from it?

Better is to use the palace as a prebuild for Smith or Bach.

Why is Bach in Hamburg and not in Berlin? If building wonders, you should try to build as soon as possible, so your shields are not wasted.

Why a caravel? How will that help you? Game is schewed towards land forces, Navy and Air are only shadows and fluff.

Look at your build priorities: muskets 7, knights 2, longbow 1. This is a build for static empire, but it looks like you are trying to expand your empire. Better mix would be: cannon-1, medieval-2, pike-1, knight-5.

Where's your forbidden palace? It usually helps to name that city [cityname]_FP so you know where your second level of low corruption is.

Why areyou building an aqueduct in NLeipzig? You really need either military or culture here. Culture of Odessa&&StPetes&&Sevastopol is very likely to flip NLeipzig.
    You could do the opposite on York, change Hannover to a culture building andStuttgart the same, and you will have 4 culture circles urging York to flip. Only disadvantage is York is awful close to the capital. Take London and that also increases the chances of York flipping.

Good you are building science now.

PF

8. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

i am following your suggestions but i only remembered a few i took over bergen sometimes i just let the computer choose what to build im afraid my forbidden palace is to near capital.and im terrible for half building a wonder then deciding i need a settlerand waste a load of shields.i shall endeavor to be more disciplined but you do learn by your mistakes il print em off and see how i do

9. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Just from your latest comment don't automate workers and governors.

You can't expect much from automated workers because they are inherently lazy. They would rather use a hoe (irrigate) than a pick (mine) on grass tiles because it's easier. These auto workers will go on strike and just sit in cities because they were near a little war zone (what do you expect when you pay them 1g every 25 years or so). No sitting around. Work something.
    Governors can't handle your corruption. What makes you think they know what to build or for that matter what the proper tiles the citizens should be working.

10. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

[randomcomment]Berlin, New Hamburg, and Leipzig remind me of CT's screenie with the Arabs... :lol:[/randomcomment]

11. planetfall

planetfall Emperor

It takes time, a lot of time. It's a very very complicated game. Don't despair, if you keep at it and learn one new idea a game, you'll get it.

You can read some articles in the war academy but take a small step at a time or they are too overwhelming.

Too near the capital, it depends what version you're playing. For C3 and PTW, yes it is too close, but for C3C it's not. Go to subforum utilities and get the CRpSuite and use Stat's to see how you're doing. If you're going for space race, you'll want to grow in science. If you're going for domination/conquest, you'll want to grow, even during war times in offense.

Biggest things to do as learning the game:

1. decide what you want to build, don't use city governors. You'll learn faster
    2. have between 1 and 1.5 workers per number of cities
    3. decide what workers will do, don't automate them
    4. decide on which win option you will follow. I think it is easier at the start of the game to deselect some and only have the ones you want available.

If it was my game, here's what I would do:
    1. go for military/domination victory as it's easy
    2. never build wealth
    3. never build any naval units until you have conquered the continent
    4. targets A- England, they'll waste shields on navy and you want a single front, B- Russia/Carthage, they're scientific and will be a general pain, C- spain, only distance is saving them. Try to save 2-3 offensive elite units for final attacks to increase your chances of a great leader
    5. with PTW you can go republic for the whole game
    6. after get continent, RR your land. You'll have to increase worker count to about 2/city.
    7. research air before panzers.
    8. build airports in cities you can before panzers
    9. build about 5 transports, 6 destroyers, 2 cruisers/battleships, 3 carriers. You will load this with: 5 infantry/mechs, 1 worker [to build your airfield], 5 artillery, 1 settler, and the rest panzers.
    10. You will launch from SW point and DDay land by one of the 2 silver cities. After you have taken 2 cities and don't to worry about culture flipping, you'll have a slam dunk game. You panzers will fly into your airfield and have a field day.

You don't want to wait too late and face Green nukes. Keep science high, keep at least 4..5 luxuries and you'll have lots of fun. It's better to lose money in trades and have the luxuries than not.

Good luck, and have fun. I'll be out of touch for 5 days.

PF

12. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

i went republic and was losing 80 gpt and for 4 turns i was losing that on a zero balance, but i persevererd and im in a fairly good position now still tech advanced but im only on 50per cent tech investment as im a bit short and the ai1 isnt giving me anything. but im surviving

13. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

1525AD
    Despotism
    Leipzig, switched Palace to Copernicus Observatory, 1 turn
    Berlin, switched Sistine Chapel to University, 4 turns
    Hamburg, switched University to Marketplace, 4 turns
    Frankfurt, switched Coloseum to University, 3 turns
    Nottingham, switched University 48 turns to Barracks 8 turns
    Munich, build settlers, 1 turn
    Heidelburg, build barracks, 2 turns
    Cologne, build worker, 2 turns
    Hannover, build barracks, 20 turns
    Bremen, hurry university (64 turns) cost 4 citizens
    Stuttgart, switched to barracks 1 turn
    Bonn, hurry Barracks (8 turns) cost 1 citizen
    Salzburg, switched to worker, 3 turns
    Dortmund, switched to worker, 1 turn, lost some shields
    Brandenburg, hurry temple (17 turns), cost 1 of 2 citizens
    New Berlin, switched to barracks, lost 18 shields, 1 turn
    New Leipzig, switched from Courthouse (58 turns) to Barracks, lost 2 shields, 1 turn
    New Hamburg, left University, 3 turns
    New Konigsburg, hurry catapult, cost 1 citizen
    New Frankfurt, hurry library (9 turns) cost 1 citizen
    New Munich, switch from Musketman (9 turns) to Library, lost 2 shiels
    New Heidelburg, switched to library (7 turns) hurry cost 1 citizen, 1 turn
    New Nuremburg, switched from University, 98 turns, to walls, 8 turns

New Cologne, switched to walls, lost 3 shields, 1 turn
    New Hannover, switched to worker, 4 turns
    New Bremen, switched to worker, 8 turns
    New Stuttgart, switched to walls, 9 turns
    Trondheim, switched to worker, 1 turn (To "bleed" the city)

Tip: Clicking on the city while in the management view optimizes. (You can ajust this if you like)

1535AD
    Started building alot of workers
    Took all workers off automate
    Still in Despotism - Started revolution

1565AD
    New government - Republic
    Concentrating workiers on irrigation and roads

1575AD
    Sold everything in Munich, founded new city in it's place (To get rid of Forbiden Palace)

1675AD
    Infrastucture looking better. Defeated Scandinavians.
    Tip: Do not place so many cities 1 square away from the coastline. A coastal city gains many benefits.

1720AD
    Started political revolution

1735AD
    Government - Anarchy
    Trade Democracy to the Spanish for Magnetism, Music Theory, 46 gold, 16 gold per turn, and World map

1754AD
    New Government - Democracy
    941 Gold
    Chemistry (4 Turns)

1780AD
    Wiped out the English.

Also note, that I settled a city on the other continent. ;)

The map is actually two screen shots pasted together

Attached Files:

14. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

I think New Hannover is a good place for the FP.
    I'll whipe out the Russians next... :p

I played a mostly peacefull game though Giraff to try and help you with management.

15. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

thats briliant love giraffsville . im making inroads on the english by flipping them, il post a screen shot later

16. MikeH

MikeH Prince

Sorry didn't read the second page.

17. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

btw do you have a limit in posting attachments i notice the red and green bit
    in managing attachments section.

Attached Files:

18. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

One of the main issues IMHO : you are still in despotism. With the number of cities you have monarchy is definitely necessary (I don't speak of Republic because I am not sure how you rage war and if your cities have enough happiness improvements.

Edit : oops ! Had not seen the second page.... :blush:

19. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Giraffman,
    You can delete old ones kind of like email. You should have plenty of space for now.

I haven't played like the Admiral (Nice work btw Sir) but a few more observations...

Your build orders need to change.
    --No longbows you have cavalry. Cav is faster and attack better.
    --Forget the Colosseums, temples (in the middle of the empire), police station (not needed in Hamburg put in a harbor), walls in Berlin you will be exacting the pain not receiving. Build markets, banks, harbors, workers and rails. They will all increase your income.
    --I see WLTKD fireworks so your citizens are happy. If they're in a small far away place make a clown (or scientist or tax guy) instead of moving the lux slider up. The productive cities you can move the slider.
    --90% of the population is capped for growth. In those far away cities keep popping workers rather than a 71 turn cavalry.
    --Finish Lizzie off. She is on her heels.

To summarize: Markets, harbors, banks workers. Libraries and universities in the core for research. Rails rails rails. More Workers Workers Workers.

What is your ultimate objective? Conquest? Space? Culture? Determine this now. The UN is around the corner. Build it because you want to make sure everyone likes you a lot before allowing the vote.

20. giraffman

giraffman Chieftain

to win conquest how much of the map do you have to conquer or is it just getting a high score ive already won a diplo and cultural mostly because i prefer to flip rather than conquer unless i smell blood like lizzie at the mo but i dont start off with a clear objective just to do better than last time. in this game some people are annoyed wioth me so i dont think ill get the un vote. ive been reading some of the articles like the basics of terrain and reading the war academy so hopefull together with suggestions on the threads some of it will stick. but im usually half watching tv at the same time as playing so i will miss the odd thing
    still good fun though