1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a journalist and I'd love to hear your best Civ story for a piece I'm working on!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by lukewinkie, Oct 27, 2016.

1. lukewinkie

lukewinkie Chieftain

Hey guys! My name is Luke Winkie, and in commemoration of the release of Civ 6 I'm writing a story for PC Gamer where I'm collecting everyone's favorite Civilization memory. Mine is probably the time my tiny peaceful utopian no-military island nation was discovered and subsequently destroyed by a band of marauding Germans. I've always loved how this game can create one-of-a-kind sagas like that.

Would you like to spare your tale for the story? Please get in touch with me!

2. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

i remember epic teamgames in civ4 multiplayer

there was actual suspense (an extremely rare feeling in games) when an enemy army was trying to capture my city, and I wasn't sure whether my defenses would be enough
    the matches were about these huge pivotal moments, with carefully planned situations, and the constant balancing act of investing in economic growth versus military

3. Banners

Banners Chieftain

I've logged thousands of hours in Civ, but I can't imagine anyone would find any anecdotes from that whole time even remotely interesting.

4. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Do I post here or do you want a PM.

I've been Civving since I was 12-13 on my old Pentium75 playing Civization II a month after the game's release ; There are hundreds of games I've played over thousands of hours but it would be difficult and a bit unfair to single out a single game. There will moments I remember and if I were to load up old saves, the maps, city locations, the 'state of the game' as I left it, either having won the game, lost it, or left it unfinished will all trigger a sense of familiarity on some base level deep in my brain. These are my worlds, my histories.

And that is what Civilization is to me. It is a place and a time both in the game worlds and in the real world. My first series of games in Civilization III were tinged with feelings of doom in the immediate aftermath of September 11. I played America a lot those few months. I recall the lines of riflemen I set up in my very first game defending what would have been a thousand miles of open jungle against an unseen Aztec foe. Those games created a tradition for me to play as the Americans as my first pick in every Civilization release since.

Each of those games is history lived, however fleetingly, for the duration of that game. And within the kilobytes and megabytes of save data, are the blood, sweat and tears of millions of citizens in that world. Each save file is a world, with its own history and artifacts. Great peoples, dreamers, artisans and common folk. Though in recent years I chase my steam achievements just like everyone else, the games still are places I lived in and will likely never go back to.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Xen

Xen Magister

Mine comes from Civ3- I was playing as the Romans and had come to dominate (mostly through peaceful colonization) my side of a very large continent, and had peaceful relations with the other civilizations on it. But my nemesis was in the form of the Persian empire, and we had huge iron age clashes between Legions and Immortals over hills, jungles, forests and mountains. All the war fare eventually triggered some great generals, and I used them to raise armies filled with my most seasoned legions across the no mans land and into Persia itself.

Because in civ 3 the Legions and Immortals are so equally matched (Legions only very narrowly outclass them once you get down to the math) It was, and remains the greatest war I've ever played in a civ game.