I'm about to build my first kickass computer. Now what?

Cliftor

Chieftain
What game settings should I play at to celebrate?

Largest map, marathon with max number of enemy civs?

*NOTE: I've been playing on a minspec compy up till now.

Yeah, just max out your graphics settings and resolution depending on your monitor.

Go huge, max civs and have fun!

Also, go play some FPS too.. probably more fun on a quick rig than civ on a quick rig.

Oh, don't worry, I plan to catch up in the scene that I've been missing in general, not just Civ. I especially want to play Portal and BioShock. And Thief 3. And Oblivion. And Starcraft II and Spore when they come out.

:( so little time.

Huge game settings, max tech settings it is then!

i've just upgraded my 5 year old PC (384mb RAM!) to a shiny new XPS420

no more single unit graphics with no combat zoom, no more stopping games at 1750AD, no more making a cuppa cha everytime the diplomacy screen activates.......

of course, i upgraded for "work" reasons..!!

Cliftor-

If you're building a badass machine and enjoy RPG's. You should check out MassEffects. It's a massive RPG with an entire universe, and each action you take has far reaching effects... hence the name.

Thanks Drak; how did you know I like RPGs? Actually, any genre would be a good guess because I only really dislike two, and that's sports and racing.

Anyway, I thought Mass Effect doesn't even have a PC release announced? I've been following it, though; it looks awesome.

Instead, I'll play KotoR 2 once Team Gizka finishes the Restored Content Mod.

go big, huge map, max civs.

try elder scrolls IV:oblivion

So what's in this amazing machine, anyway?

Cliftor-

You have to be kidding me?! You play KOTOR 2 also... I love that game. I've been following team-gizka since they stared that thread a couple years ago. I can't wait till they have it finished. I just love watching Bao-Dur turn to the dark side right before your eyes.

So what's in this amazing machine, anyway?

Well, it's not completely GODLY, but it's the first good computer I've ever had:

2GB DDR2-800 RAM
Core 2 Duo Allendale (1.8 GHz or something, but can be easily and safely overclocked to 3.0 GHz)
Geforce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 256-bit (will overclock this too)

The CPU is a money-saving stop-gap while waiting for the new quad cores to come out and then drop in price, which will use the same socket. I'll probably wait to upgrade until LGA 775 stops being standard; it'll last until then I hope.

That's pretty much it. Everything else is as you'd expect. Oh, and a kickass monitor I got on sale. Up till now all my monitors have been low-res puny little things. It's a 20" 1680x1050 5 ms 2500:1 contrast. The brightness is only 300 cd/m2, but I think that's fine.

And Drak, no spoilers please! I'm GOING to play it, I haven't actually played it YET :). Just KOTOR 1.

What to do with new machine.. ? Play solitaire to see how fast the cards are jumping (dancing ?) at the end... ;)

So Team Gizka finally completed the mod ?? Great news, I have been waiting for it for some time (2+ years I think :) )

@Draknith
You do not have to wait for the mod to turn Bao-Dur to dark side. It is just a matter of metagaming the influence points

Dragonhawk-

No they haven't completed the restoration completely yet. There are still like 6 outstanding issues. They are going to be releasing a BETA version to the main people involved in the project so they can work our any remaining bugs. My guess is sometime around Easter will be a release date, but then again it's been 2 years. I'm just being patient now, and when it's done, it's done.

In response to your comment. I know that you don't need the update to turn Bao-Dur. I just made the comment that I like watching him fall. The best is getting everyone to take on training... but I said I wouldn't spoil anything so enough of that.

Well, it's not completely GODLY, but it's the first good computer I've ever had:

2GB DDR2-800 RAM
Core 2 Duo Allendale (1.8 GHz or something, but can be easily and safely overclocked to 3.0 GHz)
Geforce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 256-bit (will overclock this too)

The CPU is a money-saving stop-gap while waiting for the new quad cores to come out and then drop in price, which will use the same socket. I'll probably wait to upgrade until LGA 775 stops being standard; it'll last until then I hope.

That's pretty much it. Everything else is as you'd expect. Oh, and a kickass monitor I got on sale. Up till now all my monitors have been low-res puny little things. It's a 20" 1680x1050 5 ms 2500:1 contrast. The brightness is only 300 cd/m2, but I think that's fine.

And Drak, no spoilers please! I'm GOING to play it, I haven't actually played it YET :). Just KOTOR 1.

Only 800 MB RAM your going to need at least another 1 Gig(or more) to play Civ 4 at it's highest settings, I have 2 Gigs and still get MAF problems when I play it, thank god BTS got rid of the MAF problem :crazyeye:

My specs:

Manufacturer: MSI
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Hard Drive: 104 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Monitor: HP w17e 1440X900 Res
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones: Altec Lansing 2 speaker system with subwoofer/iSymphony Noise Cancelling Headphones
Keyboard: Gigaware keyboard
Mouse: Logitech Laser Mouse
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

There's no computer out there that can comfortably run Civ4 on a huge map during the end game. It will always bog down, due to the increasing number of units. More memory won't help.

And regarding the previous post, it says 2GB DDR2-800 RAM. 800 is the speed, 2GB is the size.

And regarding the previous post, it says 2GB DDR2-800 RAM. 800 is the speed, 2GB is the size.

Yep yep, that's right. The only higher speed afaik is 1066. And I was advised that it's completely unnecessary at this point.

Plus, even though I insisted on trying to incorporate it anyway, I simply couldn't find a satisfactory motherboard. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Top Bottom