1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm at a loss...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by Preytor, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

I'm having a crash problem, where the game sound freezes, my screen goes black and I have to cold boot. I'm using RoM 2.91, but I'm not sure if this issue is specific to the RoM 2.91 so I decided to make a separate thread.

I took a break from Civ for a bit and hadn't played since the 2.8 RoM. Everything was working relatively fine then (CTDs late in game stuff).
    This time when removing the old RoM and installing the new one I had an interesting thing happen. When I started the game (I have my BtS link to autoload RoM) it said it changed my display settings to low as my system did not meet the minimum requirements.
    I had updated my display driver since 2.8 (this month), so my assumption is that my new driver isn't supporting the game properly anymore (thus I don't think it's a RoM2.91 issue).

I can play the game a couple dozen turns before I get my "black screen of death".
    It doesn't seem to matter if I have display setting on low, or everything on high; I tried them all.
    In case you're wondering/I'll say for the sake of being clear: I do exceed the specs for the game, the system is clean and running well, the driver is installed properly/old one removed properly/and running well, the RoM was removed properly and the new one installed properly.

I'm at a loss, and I don't want to damage my computer.
    If anything I feel it's my responsibility to report on this issue.

Unfortunately it's looking like I won't be able to continue with Civ4 at this point. :sad:
    I've always been a big fan of RoM, it's add a lot of life to Civ4 for me.
    I'm very grateful and appreciative of zappara and everyone who has made RoM what it is.

2. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

It sound like your Graphics card is overheating.

3. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

Nope never got over 52. :(

4. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Mine stop working properly when it gets to 54 C. Luckly for me Civ does not do that. Try opening up your case and putting a fan over your GPU like in the picture.

5. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

I've had my video card work fine at over 82 C, I've heard of others having theirs over 92 C fine. So I don't think that could be it. Maybe Civ4 is different that way some how, I just can't think of how it would make a difference.

That said I did use RivaTuner to turn my fan up from an avg of 40% to 80% which keeps the temps much lower and still no dice.
    For reference sake, I'm using a GTX 285.

None the less, I appreciate you efforts in assisting. :)

6. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I guess mine is different then. Just try it and see what happends.

I think some one else had a simler problem when he updated his driver. He went back to the old one and it started working again.

7. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the newer driver.
    It's a tough decision to weigh the pros and cons about the newer driver, and newer drivers I'll be dealing with down the road.
    Unfortunately the only reason I'd have to go back to an older driver is Civ, and there are many reasons for me to move forward with the driver(s).

8. patrioticparado

patrioticparado Chieftain

Probably not the issue but you might trying uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. You sound like you know computers enough to know the right way to install a driver so I doubt its human error.
    That said I never trust installers to do their job right every time. Just a thought and probably not the issue but running 2 GTX 275s I hope its not a driver issue. (havent installed the new ones myself yet)

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I hope you realize that 82 C is ~ 150* Fahrenheit (100 C = Boiling point of water)!

And anyone that runs a piece of electronics with no cooling at those temps is Begging for trouble. No Matter how Good your vid card is. CPU's start overheating at 110*F and by the time you get above 140*F you begin to experience failures. Even with cooling you don't want temps to exceed 92-94* F. At 82*C you might as well take your video card and put a propane torch to it.

And I bet that GTX 285 cost a pretty penny too.

Black screen, vid card failure.

Are you overclocking too?

JosEPh

10. Preytor

Preytor Warlord

@ patrioticparado:
    I never trust uninstallers to do their job right either.
    I use Driver Sweeper when uninstalling video drivers, clean a few loose ends up with CCleaner.
    Civ is the only thing causing any video issues.

@ JosEPh_II:
    Yes, I understand.
    I do use a cooler on my video card ;). I also use an aftermarket HSF for my CPU.
    GPUs can run much hotter than CPUs. 82 C = 179.6 F.

Real Temp 3.40 and/or RivaTuner shows my GPU idle around 45C, which is actually higher than I'd like as 39C is the average a GTX 285 should idle. The GPU gets to 52C in Civ.
    I do overclock, but not the video card.
    I thoroughly test my system with several tools and have years of overclocking experience.
    The system has passed IntelBurnTest 2.4 running the Linpackx64 just fine.
    I don't let my CPU temps pass 70C on Linpack, which is fine as it doesn't pass 60C on Prime. It stays well below 60C on Civ.

For reference: CPU is a Q9650 at 3.8GHz.

Regards
    P

11. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

76-82C is normal working temperature for mine GPU (Radeon 3870x2) and 83-84 under heavy load in graphics rich applications.