I'm kinda new here so...

Zyphelaxis

Chieftain
...I haven't had the time to read as many threads as I want to. If the answer to my question is in an existing thread, just tell me where to find it!

Question is:
What civ is the best STARTING-CIV. I mainly go for Persians due to Immortals and the fact that they are industrious. Is there a "better" starting-civ and if so who and why? I haven't tried another civ "seriously" since persians get roads up fast and then it's just to bash them others with Immortals. I usually go for conquest victory and with Persians I get a good start! Input please?

Thanks,
Zyphelaxis

You seem to have a nice touch. Look at the civilization treats and what you can do with it: scientific and industrious (like the persians) is good, militaristic is nice IMHO. Look at the benefits of religious? Ever played with the japanese?

I've played Japs for like 5-6 turns, by then I missed my Persians... That's me in a nut-shell, once I start playing I tend to get stuck in a one-way-thinking-habit. D2LoD I only play barbarian for example... What's good about the Japs? Samurais if I recall correctly..? Sorry but I have no idea what the other civs are good at other than being crushed by my raging hordes of Immortals! =)

Immortals rule. But then again, they tend to get obsolete in the medieval times. Persia has a very early golden age also...

Check this thread.

I think that a player with science is handy, because when you are advanced you can beat everyone.

Holland rules
Greetings from Amsterdam

I am rather new to the game as well and also have a hard time adopting new stratagies and therefore stick with one civ. I have played both the Persians and Japanese (and that is all).

I started with the Japanese and really liked their samurais, they give them an early edge on the offensive tip. Never really had much of a problem with corruption either. They were fun, I played through the middle ages and was doing really well. I think that if you are use to playing a scientific civ they would be good option, even though they are not scientific.

Since my first game I have only played the Persians (three other games) and while I enjoy their ability to build fast and their charm at running up the tech tree I do find that building an army with them can be a chore, even with the immortals. Invading is such a pain with your best unit only being able to move one tile. Your best bet is to build up to chivalry fast and get the knights.

Yes, I am a bit violent when it comes to selecting civs. The only advice I would give to either select your civ based off of what type of stratagy you want to play with -or- develop your stratagy of the civ you want to play.

As for me, I think I might give the Indians a try, the War Elephant sound cool, and I have seen a friend of mine really kick some butt with them.

Russians are good, their special Unit comes in the middle so you aren't at a disadvantage if your special unit comes too early or too late and also, I am using quite alot of tanks now in my recent game but I still have quite a few Cossaks moaping about the place incase I need a little more help.

The Iroquois are my favourite. Their unique unit is by far the best in the game. They come early enough to expand your empire early in the game, but late enough to not spolid the golden age. While Immortals are good with their 4 attack, you can build MW:s without iron, they have 2 moves and a chance of retreat.

Also, the expansionist trait should not be underestimated. With 2 scouts at the beginning (one you get for free and the other should be the first thing you build) you will probably pop a lot of goody huts and be the first civ to find all the other civs around. Communication, tech and map trading will keep you in the tech lead right through the Ancient ages even with 0% research. You have a good chance of getting the Great Library if you pre-build it. This keeps you in the tech race through the Medieval Age. By the time you move into the Industrious Age you should already be leading the game.

The religious trait gives you cheap temples which are good for building culture. The short 1-turn revolution is also great.

My opinion on the best civ is constantly changing, as I try new civs out with totally different abilties.

I have played as the Persians, and their Immortals are awesome. Plus they have 2 good traits. But truly religious edges out the scientific ability.

Thats why IMO Egypt is one of the best civs. Japan is great too, because those Samurai seem to have so much more luck than knights even though they have the same offensive power.

Another great civ, from a recent game of mine, are the Americans. They have 2 really good traits. Their UU may not be too good, but their traits make up for that. I would consider them to be the best huge pangea map civ. I originally felt that the Iroquious with their MWs and religious trait were better, but Industrious makes up for that.

And don't build 2 scouts. Build 10-15 of them, and have the first 5-8 open goody huts and the later ones to stand ontop of all the Iron in the world. They you can go and conquer.

Industrious is the best trait in the game followed by religious and expansionist.

The only civs that I would play as for their UU are the Persians, Japanese and Iroquious. The other civs are better because of their traits.

Persians are good.

Scientific gives tiny help in the tech race.
Immortals are awesome. They are useful all through the ancient ages and can hold their own against knights.
Early golden age can help give edge over other civs.

Can a non-believer agree with God? I have my civ randomly selected, but I prefer playing with any combination of Industrious, Religious, and Expansionist. Immortals and Mounted Warriors are the only UU's that I feel give me a significant advantage and I will go out of my to deny the Persions iron or the Iroquois horses if they are in the neighborhood.

IMHO expansionist sucks.

EDIT: Okay, I might want to rephrase that. I don't see very well what you want with expansionist. Getting the goody huts? Depending on what kind of game you want to play you should pick different civilizations. check

Originally posted by Shabbaman
IMHO expansionist sucks.

EDIT: Okay, I might want to rephrase that. I don't see very well what you want with expansionist. Getting the goody huts? Depending on what kind of game you want to play you should pick different civilizations. check

The value of the expansionist is obiviously very different on a tiny archipelago map and a huge pangea map. The bigger the continent, the better the trait. Since I usually play on large pangea maps, there is a lot of territory to explore and other civs to find. The trait is more or less wasted on a small island that you have for yourself.

English is the best. Man O War unique unit can not be stopped. I just build about 50,000 Man O wars and always win.

come on 50000 man o war that has to be bull-****
even 20 is much:crazyeye:

Expansionist is very powerful on large and huge maps. Not only in popping goody huts, but also in denying other AIs iron and saltpeter.

All these replies and no one has mentioned the Babylonians as being a good starting civ yet? Wow, maybe I'm playing the game wrong.

Anyway, I like playing as the Babylonians for their religious and scientific bonuses - they can build those type of city improvements for half price, meaning a quick start on building up culture (makes your cities less likely to jump to another civilization).

Their unique unit, the bowman, is also a very good unit early on in the game - if you can start pushing out bowmen before your neighbors start producing swordsmen (which should be easy to do), then you will find it relatively easy to attack and defeat your neighbors cities early on. Once you discover iron and start producing swordsmen, then start adding them to your attack force along with your existing bowmen. I can usually eliminate my closest neighbor in the game this way, thus giving me extra room to expand into - which is also a good thing to have early on in the game.

Also, they get the scientific bonus of gaining a free tech every time you evolve to the next age, so if you fall behind in tech research, that feature helps you stay in the game a little better early on as well.

babylonians are good due to their traits but their bowman are bad (I get iron working ASAP). Has anyone considered the Germans? They have excellent traits if u want to conquer the world (Militaristic and Scientific), and their golden age comes in the Industrial Age. Besides, panzers are awesome.

The best civ is not necessarily one civ. Most of the time it varies with your play style, map and level. My favorites are Greek and Chinese. But I have played the game (more or less succesful) with any civ.

As far as best civs go, that's a whole different issue. I think the best starting civ is the Greeks. Since most of the games problems arise from expansion and conflict, playing a peaceful civ and having hoplites should make for the easiest first few times out.

Top Bottom