1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm lookin around, I figure out what Steam is

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Alex Dog, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Alex Dog

Alex Dog Chieftain

I can't figure out what Steam is.

I have Civ4 Complete--hard copy bought and installed on laptop. I don't think it says anything about Steam. Is that a system for online multiplayer mode? Is it a different/faster operating system?

I keep seeing references to Steam, but no simple explanation or link is given in the threads I've found so far. If I can't figure it out soon, I'm gonna get steamed.

(And then I'll build railroads & ironclads?)

2. LeHam

LeHam Prince

Just google Steam. But if you don't want to bother doing that:

Steam is a program designed and run by Valve Corporation. Basically, you download Steam for free, then can buy games through the Steam Store, including Civ IV.

The upside is that installing and playing games is completely free of CD-related hassles. The downside is that depending on your internet connection and the busy-ness of the Valve Servers downloading games can take a long time. Also, while you can play games offline, sometimes Steam's offline mode will give you crap for it.

Since you bought a hard copy, you don't need Steam at all.

3. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

Honestly the best thing about Steam if if your computer goes treads up, you can redownload all your games on a new computer. I don't think I've bought a physical copy of a game in a good 5 years. I don't only use Steam I use other services also, but I love not having to keep physical copies of my games and they will always be available to redownload as long as I have my passwords.

4. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

Provided, of course, you like whatever the Steam T&Cs are - for the rest of your life. Because if they change them and you don't like it, you can suck it up or say goodbye to all your games.

Gosh, keeping a CD around is a lot more trouble than that!

5. calibur

calibur Prince

Not using steam because of that is sort-of like those people who stock up food and guns in preparation of the collapse of [insert rich, stable country here].

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Not quite--online distribution services are quite novel as far as technology goes. And there are plenty of horror stories with Amazon revoking somebody's licenses to ebooks based on suspicion of illegal distribution (and note, you forgo your legal rights in the T&C and agree to settle for whatever the online distributor decides to give you). Nothing is really stopping the same problems from developing with Steam.

7. gps

gps King

And provided, of course, Steam will be around - for the rest of your life (I really don't want to sound pesimistic, but what if the Steambox flops?) And they still have the licences to keep the games online (might be limited). And they still have a money-making interest to keep the games online (might get too expensive). ...

8. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

If steam flops, it's going to be a consequence of the rest of the world crumbling. They're not going anywhere soon.

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

You'd be surprised at how quickly some companies that appear to be in a strong financial position can flop (it only takes one corrupt/incompetent high-level manager to get a company into serious trouble), and since Steam isn't a bank it's not too big to fail. ;)

10. Alex Dog

Alex Dog Chieftain

Thanks all. I'm a smarter, nay, a wiser, person for having asked this question. Mods, if you close satisfied threads, this one can be closed.

11. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

I've had issues with Civ IV on Steam regarding mods (even the mods that come with the game are not working for me right now).

12. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Another great reason to own something other than a Kindle. As for Steam, I don't like it poking about on my computer to see what is in it. I may have sensitive files on my HD, and the programs that I own are my business.

Bye bye, Steam.

13. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

hmmm probably something I would like to see !

14. Lemon Merchant

I doubt it. Unless you enjoy medical/psychiatric literature, patient related correspondence, DLL and modding files, and accounting data. Then I suppose you'd be delighted.

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

My entire library is still paper, and will likely remain so in the near future. I'm suspicious of the Kindle and other ebook readers (we had a good OT thread or two on that a few months ago), and the price point isn't right yet--I can usually buy a paperback on discount from Amazon for approximately the same price or a couple bucks cheaper, and I don't need to buy the ebook reader up front.

16. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Since You are prefering womans I was hopeing for something like that. Well worth a try ^^ C'mon boys ! We have bigger ships to sunk ....... xD

17. CocoIsKing28

CocoIsKing28 Slightly less stupid

This will be my last response to one of your comments tonight, but I'm sure it'll work for the rest:
    :rolleyes:

18. Lemon Merchant

Seconded. :rolleyes:

19. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Some Anti-Crock council ! I've always knew I am an ancient demon ! xD

20. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

You are wrong to use the future tense. The same problem has already developed with Steam. American? A few months back you either gave up your rights to class actions against Valve, or all your games.

(Note that with Games for Windows Live or EA's offering, you either gave up those rights or could buy no more new games (but could continue with the ones you had). When Valve are doing worse than Microsoft _and_ EA, something's gone pear-shaped.)

And for Pete's sake, calibur, don't come back with "but I don't want to carry out a class action". The point is the scenario where you either accept a non-trivial change to the T&Cs or lose all your games _already happened_. It's not some sort of paranoia on my part.