I'm looking for someone with a bit of experience to help me finish my Aragon mod

paisvalencia

Chieftain
Hey, so basically the title says it all.

I'm working on a mod for the Aragonese Crown (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_of_Aragon) since I feel it was a key player in the Reconquest of Iberia, as well as a truly important civilization in the mediterranean, en par with the Byzantine Empire in trade and with strong religious, militaristic and cultural flairs that I see as strong angles from which to build an interesting Civ.

As it stands, the traits are as follows (feedback is welcome, of course):
Empire: Crown of Aragon
Leader: Jaume I
UA: Consulat de Mar - Gain extra gold and culture from international trade. Also, every temple built grants a civics boost.
LA: El Conqueridor - Gains 50% of slain enemy unit combat strength in faith, as well as additional movement for the first 10 turns after declaring a Holy War.
UU: Almogaver - Can only be bought with (high amounts of) faith. Strong melee combat Renaissence unit that receives double the Great General bonus.
UB: Llotja - Replaces the Bank. On top of the usual Bank yields, every coastal tile in the city gains +1 culture yield.

Now, to the brass tacks. I have ZERO modding experience and, just from tracing the xml files of other mods and changing the substance, I managed to get some things up and running. However, I tried to tinker with it a bit and now it won't even load, I'm not sure what I did and can't seem to solve it, in fact I'm worried I'm just making it worse.
So I'm writing this post here in the off chance you see this project and find it interesting, or at least believe even ugly things have a right to exist, and decide to help. Any sort of help is welcome, from the art - mine is okay but amateurish - to the concepts, to the modding, but especially the modding needs a ton of fixing, so experience is very welcome.
Cheers!

I think I have similar experience with you....I mean I am doing extactly the same thing but for my home country instead and having a lot of setbacks as a novice modder......may be you have backed up to a point that the mod is still working or you may load the mod once and post the gameeffects.log for help? Such log is really helpful to track problems....

And for the UA are pretty cool...I think the UA is pretty easy to made, but how can you make a UU that can only be bought with faith?

I think I have similar experience with you....I mean I am doing extactly the same thing but for my home country instead and having a lot of setbacks as a novice modder......may be you have backed up to a point that the mod is still working or you may load the mod once and post the gameeffects.log for help? Such log is really helpful to track problems....

And for the UA are pretty cool...I think the UA is pretty easy to made, but how can you make a UU that can only be bought with faith?

Very nice of you to give your feedback to another novice, if you'd like we might compare notes! Out of curiosity, what's your home country you're modding?

As for the actual advice you gave me, I'm afraid I'm pretty much tech-ignorant, what do you mean by the gameeffects.log results? How do I access that and what information can it bring me?

So far, for the UU I've changed PurchaseYield="YIELD_GOLD" to PurchaseYield="YIELD_FAITH", and the next step will be to search the game's database for missionaries apostles etc. and see how Firaxis has managed it.

may be you have backed up to a point that the mod is still working or you may load the mod once and post the gameeffects.log for help? Such log is really helpful to track problems....

Alright so I did the thing, and apparently the error messages are the following incomprehensible lines:

[1149613.918] [Gameplay]: In Query - insert into Players('Domain', 'CivilizationType', 'LeaderType', 'CivilizationName', 'CivilizationIcon', 'LeaderName', 'LeaderIcon', 'CivilizationAbilityName', 'CivilizationAbilityDescription', 'CivilizationAbilityIcon', 'LeaderAbilityName', 'LeaderAbilityDescription', 'LeaderAbilityIcon') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?);
[1149613.918] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Players from file Aragon_Jaume_I_Config.xml.

Idk if you - or anyone - can make sense of it, it'd be a tremendous help to not have to be grasping at straws.

Edit: I am now able to start the game as Aragon, however icons and art in general are not showing up... I guess there's a few things to tweak still.

Last edited:
The error messages you posted are missing the other lines that database.log would have outputted for the error encountered. This part of the two lines is a time-stamp
Code:
[1149613.918]
You need to look at all of the lines in Databse.log that have the same time-stamp as a group in order to make any sense of the message-group.

In this particular case however I can diagnose the problem from this part of the first line you posted
Code:
[Gameplay]: In Query - insert into Players
"[Gameplay]:" means an error was encountered when attempting to add data to the InGame Database. In this case the problem was that your code was attempting to use table "<Players>". This cannot be done under <inGameActions> (or <Components> depending on which method you are using).

The game has two "sides" of the game database: FrontEnd and InGame

• "FrontEnd" is for everything needed on the game's set-up and leader selection screens. "FrontEndActions" in Modbuddy send their code to the "FrontEnd" database.
  • "InGame" is for everything after a player clicks on "Start Game" or "Load Saved Game". "InGameActions" in Modbuddy send their code to the "InGame" database.
The code that can be used in the FrontEnd database cannot be used in the InGame database, nor vice versa. Attempting to do so results in errors and refusal of the game to continue reading anything further from within the same SQL or XML file. Therefore no single SQL or XML file that is activated by an UpdateDatabase type of action in Modbouddy can be activated both in FrontEndActions and InGameActions.

Some people who purport to create usable templates for others do not understand this, and so teach via their templates improper methods.

Very nice of you to give your feedback to another novice, if you'd like we might compare notes! Out of curiosity, what's your home country you're modding?

As for the actual advice you gave me, I'm afraid I'm pretty much tech-ignorant, what do you mean by the gameeffects.log results? How do I access that and what information can it bring me?

So far, for the UU I've changed PurchaseYield="YIELD_GOLD" to PurchaseYield="YIELD_FAITH", and the next step will be to search the game's database for missionaries apostles etc. and see how Firaxis has managed it.

You can see how I was taught to do so in the link below

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/need-help-for-modding-trade-route-problem.652648/

I am making a mod for Hong Kong since there is lack of a one city challenge city and also we suddenly become very famous recently.....I basically have the idea for leader but the UA is keep changing due to the fact that some effects are actually not able to made XDD..

however I can diagnose the problem from this part of the first line you posted
Code:
[Gameplay]: In Query - insert into Players
"[Gameplay]:" means an error was encountered when attempting to add data to the InGame Database. In this case the problem was that your code was attempting to use table "<Players>". This cannot be done under <inGameActions> (or <Components> depending on which method you are using).

The game has two "sides" of the game database: FrontEnd and InGame

• "FrontEnd" is for everything needed on the game's set-up and leader selection screens. "FrontEndActions" in Modbuddy send their code to the "FrontEnd" database.
  • "InGame" is for everything after a player clicks on "Start Game" or "Load Saved Game". "InGameActions" in Modbuddy send their code to the "InGame" database.
The code that can be used in the FrontEnd database cannot be used in the InGame database, nor vice versa. Attempting to do so results in errors and refusal of the game to continue reading anything further from within the same SQL or XML file. Therefore no single SQL or XML file that is activated by an UpdateDatabase type of action in Modbouddy can be activated both in FrontEndActions and InGameActions.

Thank you for this, there's no errors appearing now! It has however become more confusing since now I don't know what's causing icons and art to simply disappear...

You can see how I was taught to do so in the link below

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/need-help-for-modding-trade-route-problem.652648/

I am making a mod for Hong Kong since there is lack of a one city challenge city and also we suddenly become very famous recently.....I basically have the idea for leader but the UA is keep changing due to the fact that some effects are actually not able to made XDD..

Thanks, the log has served a lot and now I can get the civ up and running, the Abilities are - almost - all working too.

Good luck with your Hong Kong stuff, I mean that in every way hehe. I get the frustration of trying to add something when you can't find a reference to base it on, it's happening to me rn as I can't find for the life of me the Workshop of the World English trait (added in GS), I'm about to bust my computer with the "Search All Files".

Edit: Found it, in game files it's called INDUSTRIAL_REVOLUTION instead of WORKSHOP_OF_THE_WORLD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom