I'm missing a gigabyte of memory.

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I've noticed that since I installed Vista Home Premium, the RAM is now 3 gigs. It used to be 4 gigs. Where's the missing gigabyte? :confused:

Thanks. I noticed that it's still in HWiNFO32, so at least it's not fried/loose/stolen.

I *tried* to run all the Updates through yesterday but when I rebooted more came up.

There have been many a thread and post about this. 32-bit windows cannot access more than 4GB of RAM, and that includes all your on board addons too. Therefore, you will generally see between 2.5 and 3.3 GB of RAM out of 4. If you really want all 4GB, then find a 64-bit install disk, otherwise, relax, you'll be fine with 3.

If you installed new memory (like 2 2 Gig memory chips, and a 512MB memory chip, some boards won't read the 512 since it wants the same type of memory).

That's what you get if you buy a 32 bit version of Vista instead of 64 bit.

Stick with winXP or get a 64 bit OS

That's what you get if you buy a 32 bit version of Vista instead of 64 bit.

Stick with winXP or get a 64 bit OS

Correction, thats what you get if you have a 32-bit install disk. The License key that comes with 32-bit Vista will work on the comparable 64-bit version.

And there is no reason to go with XP unless you have applications/hardware that absolutely wont work with Vista ( which for the regular consumer with a relatively new computer is none)

My PC has 4 gig of RAM and I have Vista 32 bit. Windows used to report I had 3 gig (plus som few hundred megs more. can't remember the exact number) but it now (correctly) say I have 4 gig. Has there been some update or something?

And there is no reason to go with XP unless you have applications/hardware that absolutely wont work with Vista

On the contrary, there's absolutely no reason to run 32 bit Vista instead of winXP. A bigger vista memory footprint when you're still stuck with 3 GB RAM and 2 GB VAS limits is the most stupid choice for an OS you can make.

Go 64 bit or don't migrate at all.

Im using 32-bit as I have a few 16-bit games I don't want to give up. Also about 50% of the programs I regularly use don't have x64 versions.

Plus I can't afford a 64-bit OS. I was lucky as-is to find the Vista CD at a yard sale for $20. I'm on a very strict budget most of the time. If my mom would give up her two-pack-a-day cigarette habit (cigarettes are around $10 here) maybe we'd have some money.

Im using 32-bit as I have a few 16-bit games I don't want to give up. Also about 50% of the programs I regularly use don't have x64 versions.

Plus I can't afford a 64-bit OS. I was lucky as-is to find the Vista CD at a yard sale for $20. I'm on a very strict budget most of the time. If my mom would give up her two-pack-a-day cigarette habit (cigarettes are around $10 here) maybe we'd have some money.

Which OS was installed on your previous computer?

My old computer (the one with the fried RAM) had XP. The 16-bit subsystem kept breaking for some reason or another.

How can you not afford a 64-bit version, you already bought it?

You bought that license key, thats all you paid money for. The install media might as well be replaceable. As long as you have the key, you can download a 64-bit version of your flavor of Vista and install it, and it will work quite fine.

My PC has 4 gig of RAM and I have Vista 32 bit. Windows used to report I had 3 gig (plus som few hundred megs more. can't remember the exact number) but it now (correctly) say I have 4 gig. Has there been some update or something?

Yes, there has been an update, but it only changes the displayed number, not the actual amount that can be accessed.

Anyone who doesn't have this update is significantly out of date.

On the contrary, there's absolutely no reason to run 32 bit Vista instead of winXP. A bigger vista memory footprint when you're still stuck with 3 GB RAM and 2 GB VAS limits is the most stupid choice for an OS you can make.

Go 64 bit or don't migrate at all.

Vista 32-bit is faster than XP.

Im using 32-bit as I have a few 16-bit games I don't want to give up.

That's what dosbox is for.

Not if they're Wiindows apps.

Well, I like them.

Of course there may be a way to install one of my 5000 Windows 95 CDs into VirtualBox...hmmm

Vista 32-bit is faster than XP.

Only marginally at best. An absolute waste for someone who is already tight on cash.

It's too late for it now, but that money could've gone into a faster cpu + gpu for a faster XP rig.

Top Bottom