Im new: How do you make your games more fun?

VollAufRisiko

Chieftain
I got Civ 4 (vanilla) 3 weeks ago. I never played civ 3, but did enjoy civ 2 a lot. I enjoy the game, but it seems a little to redundant to me. I have only finished one game (my first one) and since then I just start a new one when I see I am way ahead or way behind. The game I have going right now has made it to 1900. I have a large military, and am easily clearing players off the map, but it takes up to 5 minutes per turn for the AI to counterattack before I can move again. It is so slow that it gets boring and I am probably going to abandon that game too.

Anyone have some ideas to make it so it does not feel like the same game each time?

Maybe I should try a harder difficulty, I am playing on noble or prince right now.

Maybe I should get a mod? Anyone know some good ones that would make the game more ... just bigger and better I guess,without turning it into elves or space wars?

Maybe a scenario instead of a random map?

Maybe buy BTS, but if I am getting bored of this already I don't want to sink more money in.

Any ideas?

I got Civ 4 (vanilla) 3 weeks ago. I never plaved civ 3, but did enjoy civ 2 a lot. I enjoy the game, but it seems a little to redundant to me. I have only finished one game (my first one) and since then I just start a new one when I see I am way ahead or way behind. The game I have going right now has made it to 1900. I have a large military, and am easily clearing players off the map, but it takes 5 minutes per turn for the AI to counterattack before I can move again. It is so slow that it gets boring and I am probably going to abandon that game too.

Anyone have some ideas to make it so it does not feel like the same game each time?

Maybe I should try a harder difficulty, I am playing on noble or prince right now.

Maybe I should get a mod? Anyone know some good ones that would make the game more ... just bigger and better I guess,without turning it into elves or space wars?

Maybe a scenario instead of a random map?

Maybe buy BTS, but if I am getting bored of this already I don't want to sink more money in.

Any ideas?

5mins? you might want to get add more memory.

BTS is certainly a great expansion. But it shouldn't be needed for you to enjoy the game.

It sounds like your major problem is the game just going to slow. A few things you want to try is either setting the game speed up to a faster level. Shouldn't take 5 min for the AI to take their turns as they have less units to move around. Also smaller maps will have the same effect.

You could also try to turn on the option quick combat for offense/defense, skipping those annoying combat movies that takes up most of the time in a war.

You could also try to turn on the option quick combat for offense/defense, skipping those annoying combat movies that takes up most of the time in a war.

I will look for that option. Usually when I end a turn I get up and do something else and come back in a few minutes. When the AI decided to send 20-30 guys at me a turn and each little war movie takes 5-10 seconds, that adds up. If I can get rid of that then things will be a lot better.

I am already skipping AI moves, its just the fighting that makes it slow.

If I turn on the stack attack thing will that send all my guys to attack at once too, or just the AI? I am not quite clear on what that does.

What size map are you playing on? What computer specs you have?

It's a safe bet to assume you're playing on too large of maps for your computer to handle, if you're waiting 5 minutes between turns.

Yup - it sounds like improving your computer or playing smaller maps will make things better for you.

But if you want more variety inside the game itself, try some of these:
1. Higher difficulty level
2. Limited victory conditions
3. One City Challenge
4. Different map types (including, perhaps, freaky toroidal ones)
5. Various options: Raging barbarians, always war, etc.
6. Random leader/civ (if you're not already doing that). Check Unrestricted Leaders, too, for more diversity.
7. Self-imposed rules (see "role-play challenges" in the forums here.)

BTS may be worth it for you anyway as it is certainly more challenging. I was playing Noble very well on vanilla before I got BTS and I had to actually go to Warlord to not get whalloped for awhile. I am still only winning Prince about 40% of the time.

BTS made the AI better at many things including empire management and naval invasions. Also, it adds better depth to air combat and espionage.

I will look for that option. Usually when I end a turn I get up and do something else and come back in a few minutes. When the AI decided to send 20-30 guys at me a turn and each little war movie takes 5-10 seconds, that adds up. If I can get rid of that then things will be a lot better.

I am already skipping AI moves, its just the fighting that makes it slow.

If I turn on the stack attack thing will that send all my guys to attack at once too, or just the AI? I am not quite clear on what that does.

Stack attack will make all units in your stack attack together saving lots of time with those huge 30+ unit stacks, sounds like you definitely need quick battles checked as late game this can save huge amounts of time during wars.

Just to clarify, stack attack only happens when you select multiple units. You order the selected units to attack and they all attack one after the other. But you can still select individual units and attack one at a time if you want to. So for example you select your siege units first and attack with those, then when the enemy is weakened and it no longer matters what order they attack in, you select all the remaining units and do a stack attack.

You should really start smoking. It fills those loading times without problem.
It is really gross at first but once the addiction sets in its realy good!

Im kidding, dont! :)

Top Bottom